Chainsaw Lumbermaking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gypo Logger

Timber Baron
Reaction score
I got back to one of my old hobbies today and milled up a cherry log till I hit a spiral nail. Word of caution, don't use spiral nails. They are hard to pull out of hardwoods. The 999 performed perfectly for the job.
Hahaha
John

999milling.jpg

Nice....

My brother-in-law runs a big mill in MT that uses recycled timbers from old bridges, flour mills etc. They scan every inch with metal detectors and still get bit occasionally.

Out here in WA the bottom 8 feet or so of any "residential" tree is suspect... or any tree close to the property line (old fences).

Hey John, couldn't that log be sold for veneer (assuming you didn't know about the embedded metal)?

Bob

Hi Bob, you can't see it in the picture but there was a 4 ft. catface on the bottom side of the log. The log above that went for veneer. Since the shortest sawlog they take at the mill is 6.5', it ended up as a cull. You can see part of the defect on the bottom of the butt in this pic. You can also see evidence of a dutchman as well.
John
dutchman.jpg

After rocking out on the spike, I called it a day on the milling and will finish tomorrow. I should get enough boards for a table and four legs.
Franks Planks
9995.jpg

Good Theme Gypo - a Dutchman??

am not familiar with the term, i see the cat face defects and the other defect at the bottom - is it rot?? but where is the "dutchman"

Hi Doc, thanks for your schematic. What you indicated as catfaces were just superficial checks and not regarded as a defect. The black spot was probably a bit of pith. All in all, it would have been regarded as a #1 sawlog since it has three clear faces.
The dutchmen is the flat angual ridge just behind where the wedge was removed.A sign of undercut kerfs not meeting. Definately not a good thing unless you are aware of it and compensate accordingly.
I'm all sharpened up and ready to rock tomorrow and finish the job.
John

Last edited:
TreeCo said:
I don't know where he got it.......but here is what it is!

http://www.beammachine.com/

Great use for that piece of cherry cull John.
Hi Dan, I bought mine straight from the guy that builds them. I think he lives on Quadra Island off Vancouver. Lee Valley Tools also sells them.
It's a great rig, however your cuts will only be as straight as how true your chain, bar and eye are.
John

I modified mine somewhat and use it opposite side to what the manufacturer describes it to be used. His method is fine for small logs, but for bigger wood I like my method. Give him a call, he's an intersting guy.
John

Back