Chainsaw meets Miter Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KennyPete

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a small machine shop, and I occasionally get odd requests.

This one came from an Amish/Mennonite Fellow (wasn't sure, wasn't asking). He was working out of state with another crew and they had a miter saw that was retrofit with a Stihl FS130R motor. He said they paid $2300 for it, and he's in the market for one for himself and has a $2000 budget.

I'm thinking I will skip the string trimmer motor and retrofit a chainsaw. The picture below isn't mine, but I am thinking about doing something along the same lines.

13.09.03_hacking-1_tcm80-2009877.jpg

What do you guys think?

I was thinking about getting a 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw (Thinking a Ridgid because they're orange and will match a Stihl/Husqvarna saw). I'm sure one of the pawn shops around here has a broken one they will part with for cheap.

Then I need a power head. I have a 029 Super I can part with, but I wonder if that is overkill?

I can machine an extended arbor and modify the sprocket to be a pulley drive no problems.

I'm open to ideas as to mounting the saw to a frame.

As far as throttle control, I'm thinking I will rig up a hand control off of a handlebar trimmer. Thoughts?

I would appreciate any input you guys can give me. I haven't made one of these before, and if someone out there has I would love some pointers.

Are you gonna gear it down to run at WOT? A miter saw spins somewhere around 3600 rpm's. Much slower than a chainsaw.
I'm no expert on these things but a rough calculation puts a Ridgid chop saw at 2.4hp. Hard to compare Bhp and hp calculated from a small electric motor but an 029 seems quite a bit more than needed. Seems like you'd want it as light and least awkward to move as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you gonna gear it down to run at WOT? A miter saw spins somewhere around 3600 rpm's. Much slower than a chainsaw.
I'm no expert on these things but a rough calculation puts a Ridgid chop saw at 2.4hp. Hard to compare Bhp and hp calculated from a small electric motor but an 029 seems quite a bit more than needed. Seems like you'd want it as light and least awkward to move as possible.

Why gear it down, 14k is bad ass and the potential for the blade to come loose and go through you and maybe a few other adds to the excitement.

^yes!!^ as long as your wearing safety glasses.

Rpms can go down on pulleys, the saw blade max speed is what, 4000 rpms?

That's what I meant by "gear it down". Miter saws only run at quick short intervals but I was also wondering how a chainsaw would hold up. It would be under virtually no load and WOT. Granted for short periods of time.

That's what I meant by "gear it down". Miter saws only run at quick short intervals but I was also wondering how a chainsaw would hold up. It would be under virtually no load and WOT. Granted for short periods of time.

Sorry, missed that. Still, what a way to invent the wheel, eh? Dont get me wrong, I like Amish, its just, you know :)

I'm planning on using a jack shaft and pulleys to slow the blade speed down to ~3600rpm

I guess they can use gas but not electricity. Make you wonder if a gas generator would be off limits?!?

That was what I first said to the guy, but he explained using electricity is against their code/religion even if its generated by gas.

I'm thinking that's a 170/180.

I suppose I could go with a 170. They're like $160 brand new, and would make for a good starting point.

I guess they can use gas but not electricity. Make you wonder if a gas generator would be off limits?!?

No electricity.... Id like to introduce you all to my Amish neighbor. I promise you I don't want his electric bill. The best is the day he called me from his cell phone to ask if Dish Network was better than Direct TV.
I am not kidding they are Amish and want to be recognized as Amish.

I wonder if the miter saw plunging part would support the weight of a small saw. Eliminate the miter saw handle, trigger, and motor. Mount the power hear right above the blade so you wouldn't need the throttle cable or additional pulley. A ms150 is 6 lbs. even less once you get rid or the handle and brake lever.

Haha. I'm sure as with all religions everything's open to "interpretation".

I did a rough work up of cost, and it's looking like its going to cost about $775 in parts assuming they want it made with a NEW saw, so I'm going to tell him $1400 out the door.

He is willing to drop $2000, so I figure he will probably jump at the $1400.

If he isn't set on having a chainsaw for a motor, I have a cheap tecumseh 3hp snow blower I can harvest for parts. It's got a manual clutch engagement, so it could be more convenient to engage/disengage, but not as smooth as an engagement.

I wonder if the miter saw plunging part would support the weight of a small saw. Eliminate the miter saw handle, trigger, and motor. Mount the power hear right above the blade so you wouldn't need the throttle cable or additional pulley. A ms150 is 6 lbs. even less once you get rid or the handle and brake lever.

While I like your thinking, I don't think a MS150 has enough power. I suppose I could beef up the spring to support the weight of a saw.

While I like your thinking, I don't think a MS150 has enough power. I suppose I could beef up the spring to support the weight of a saw.

Just a thought. I wonder how the weight of the handle, and motor assembly compares to a small power head. Ms170 is like 8lbs.

I have a small machine shop, and I occasionally get odd requests.

This one came from an Amish/Mennonite Fellow (wasn't sure, wasn't asking). He was working out of state with another crew and they had a miter saw that was retrofit with a Stihl FS130R motor. He said they paid $2300 for it, and he's in the market for one for himself and has a $2000 budget.

I'm thinking I will skip the string trimmer motor and retrofit a chainsaw. The picture below isn't mine, but I am thinking about doing something along the same lines.

View attachment 513119

What do you guys think?

I was thinking about getting a 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw (Thinking a Ridgid because they're orange and will match a Stihl/Husqvarna saw). I'm sure one of the pawn shops around here has a broken one they will part with for cheap.

Then I need a power head. I have a 029 Super I can part with, but I wonder if that is overkill?

I can machine an extended arbor and modify the sprocket to be a pulley drive no problems.

I'm open to ideas as to mounting the saw to a frame.

As far as throttle control, I'm thinking I will rig up a hand control off of a handlebar trimmer. Thoughts?

I would appreciate any input you guys can give me. I haven't made one of these before, and if someone out there has I would love some pointers.

Umm, they would have had to modify that chainsaw to get it to run backwards to get the blade direction correct.

Back