Chainsaw meets Miter Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm, they would have had to modify that chainsaw to get it to run backwards to get the blade direction correct.

Haha!! Good eye. Just turn the saw around. The muffler in your face just adds to the danger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, they would have had to modify that chainsaw to get it to run backwards to get the blade direction correct.

I noticed that too. Issue will be addressed when it comes to it.

As far as exhaust in your face, I can always pipe it away from the operator. Never piped a saw before, but then again I never built a chainsaw / miter saw bastard love child before either.

You might need check what the max recommended speed for any given saw blade is. Possibly if you exceed the max rpms by too much, carbide/tungsten blade tips may start flying.

They don't recommend using standard circular saw blades on linetrimmers/brushcutters for that very reason.

High speed flying pieces of blade tip are no laughing matter.

if you look at the blade arbor the pulley is offset from the blade center which suggests a reduction gearing of some sort

Just curious what you're going to do for a blade brake. Most mitre saws incorporate a brake, electric or otherwise to slow the blade quickly when you let off the trigger. With a saw as a power unit I imagine it will just freewheel for quite awhile as a 12" blade has a good bit of inertia. You could engage the chain brake but I would think repetitive sudden stops would be pretty hard on stuff.

Just curious what you're going to do for a blade brake. Most mitre saws incorporate a brake, electric or otherwise to slow the blade quickly when you let off the trigger. With a saw as a power unit I imagine it will just freewheel for quite awhile as a 12" blade has a good bit of inertia. You could engage the chain brake but I would think repetitive sudden stops would be pretty hard on stuff.

It'd be no different than a skil saw.

I would be interested in seeing pictures of what they already have on that crew. Sounds better to me. That picture you put up sure isn't a 12 inch blade, that is a much more robust casting and table than what you want to get for cheap at a pawn shop.

Is it really a miter saw that is needed? For cutting studs, or anything multiple times a chop saw can be set up on a long table and a stop attached. This in general is what is done in framing. Kind of like the metal stud set up. Miter saw is for moldings isn't it and they can use the hand saw kind

I would be interested in seeing pictures of what they already have on that crew. Sounds better to me. That picture you put up sure isn't a 12 inch blade, that is a much more robust casting and table than what you want to get for cheap at a pawn shop.

Is it really a miter saw that is needed? For cutting studs, or anything multiple times a chop saw can be set up on a long table and a stop attached. This in general is what is done in framing. Kind of like the metal stud set up. Miter saw is for moldings isn't it and they can use the hand saw kind

Picture was for demonstration purposes only. I figure I can find one with a burnt up motor for cheap. Still waiting for the go-ahead.

While I agree with you on it's purpose, there is no sense in talking myself out of business. If they put up the cash, they get what they want.

I have to: Why would anyone wants this??
Ok yes it is fun to fabricate things and see them run. But it was also fun to watch my sick friends as a kid jamb a bottle rocket in a poor frogs mouth and see it take off and it will have the same results in the end, body parts everywhere.
The only fix I see to this is use the generator thats gonna be onsite anyway.

I have to: Why would anyone wants this??
Ok yes it is fun to fabricate things and see them run. But it was also fun to watch my sick friends as a kid jamb a bottle rocket in a poor frogs mouth and see it take off and it will have the same results in thr end, body parts everywhere.
The only fix I see to this is use the generator thats gonna be onsite anyway.

The buyers Amish. They can use gas but not electricity. I had no idea they could use chainsaws. I saw on the Google some Amish rigged up a table saw with a gas motor too just for that reason. Seems crazy

Cease hit the nail on the head. Amish.

I have repaired a lot of old "hit or miss" engines for them. They run all sorts of crap off of them using big ass belts - water pumps, hay elevators, saws, etc. Big, heavy, scary pieces of machinery. Nothing boosts confidence in a job like hearing "when I was 10 this tore off the tip of my finger, and its claimed a few others".

The buyers Amish. They can use gas but not electricity. I had no idea they could use chainsaws. I saw on the Google some Amish rigged up a table saw with a gas motor too just for that reason. Seems crazy

Well I guess that makes sense then. Since there would be a definite market for them in that case, i would try to make my design easy to duplicate/fabricate and pump out a few and have them ready to sell and you might be able to dump 2 on one sale since you have them already made.

2 stroke engine does not caremuch which way it runs, at least old Jawa motorcycles done that haha. Happened to a friend showing off, he went backwards into bushes instead forward.

IDK... Not really Rube Goldberg enough for my tastes. Instead maybe you can talk him into a hydraulic setup. Mount a hydraulic motor on the side of the saw and use a portable hydraulic unit. Could even run a table saw and other equipment off it at the same time.

Latest posts

Back