chainsaws vs. guns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

would you rather

• Total voters
Both saws and guns are tools. If I had to choose which one to put on the shelf and never pick up again, which is kind of a painful thought, I suppose it would be the saws. I can and do have another way to heat my home. I don't however have a tool that would replace a gun.

If you give up your Guns.....You will eventually loose everything!
Well, I dont know about that,I aint got no guns,never had any,dont need any, and I still got lots of stuff...
I thought you crazy canadians didn't like guns. Maybe that is why you transplanted to the US :cheers:

I have quite a few in-laws that are canadian; they are all afraid of guns. They think guns are the worst thing in the world, and don't understand why we like them.
I hear you .I know lots of those people. Funny how two countries can be so similar in some ways and so completely 180 degrees apart on something like this....I dont really dislike guns,and I'm not particularily scared of them, I just dont need one and I know nothing about them.
Remember, laws only affect those who abide by them.

Truer words were never spoken:cheers:

I feel so misunderstood. I suppose I should have asked the question this way.... Do you enjoy shooting guns or running saws more?

Nik, your question is fine as is. The outcome is definitely foreseeable as you asked a philosophical question partially pertaining to principles and unalienable rights.

Now, which do we enjoy more is a different question altogether. Much harder decision as both are enjoyable pastimes. May still have to swing to the guns on this one. Although, I can run my saws in my backyard, but can't fire a weapon (well, one indoor range, but I hate breathing sulfur and volatilized lead for hours) within 12-15 miles of where I live (while county is the metro-city).

Unfortunately, neither go well with my other favorite thing in life...BEER! :cheers:

If I keep my guns who is going to try to get my chainsaws? I don't think there would be many takers!:chainsaw:

Wow!
Tough choices there, Thats kinda like asking which of your children would you sacrafice.:cry:
If its just purely a hobby type thing, I'd say guns. I can still use a Bow or Crossbow for hunting...LOL

Nik..You know they make tree stands that safely hold 500 lbs. LOL
I know, I have one.:)

:cheers:
Gregg,

Well, I dont know about that,I aint got no guns,never had any,dont need any, and I still got lots of stuff...

....I dont really dislike guns,and I'm not particularily scared of them, I just dont need one and I know nothing about them.

For your sake and others that think like you..... I hope the "dont need any" part stays true, because you are a very vunerable person at this point and very much so in the future.

Call me insecure, but I couldn't stand living my life at the mercy of someone else's mercy.

A man without a gun is just simply prey for the taking, by most anyone else that is semi-capable with a gun, and the mindset to use it to the extent.

Myself aside it is a dis-service and lack of responsibility to myself, my kids and my family to not be armed and preparted for evil of some sort.

Some people walk through this life like a sheep and some like lions ........... I don't understand sheep very well, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam

Anyone who would knowily give up their guns is simply immoral, in my book. That would be a travesty to this country, but that is how things are going.

My opinion,

Sam
There's more then one way to skin a cat.
p3095113dt.jpg

I'd have a tough time taking care out of my property without a chainsaw though.....or 5 or 6.
(Let alone my job. I know....I'd be exempt.)

I'm beating around the bush. I know.
I'm an Iraq vet and I've seen civil war.
I'd give up my gun and find somewhere else to raise my kids.

Even if I did give up my gun and it all went to ####, I could just say "SEE YOU ON THE ROAD SCAG!!!"
Mix up some AN-FO and build a zip gun!

Hmm lets think....The clue is in my name:)

With enough shots you can take a tree down anyway:greenchainsaw:

I understand the question as "Which hobby would you keep if only one." To that I decide guns.

On the political side- the reaction is due to all the restrictions passed in the last 20 years, we have gotten sensitive to that. I pray no one here ever HAS to defend their life by firearms and I do not agree that a man without a gun is defenseless.... I have seen plenty of desperate unarmed men wreak havoc on aggressors.
Poulson1- As you know- NO ONE wins a cvil war. The lucky just survive. God Bless and thank you for your service.

2Door

And here all this time I thought BEER was the second most "in common" thing we had here!!!

I'm not very good at either but being FAR more proficient at shooting, it gives me greater pleasure than sawing. I find it VERY rewarding to put 5 shots in a hole you can cover with a quarter at 100yds.
Sawing keeps me from being cold while shooting keeps me from being hungry.
As has been said before, if I keep my guns, I can keep my saws too.

Mike

For your sake and others that think like you..... I hope the "dont need any" part stays true, because you are a very vunerable person at this point and very much so in the future.

Call me insecure, but I couldn't stand living my life at the mercy of someone else's mercy.

A man without a gun is just simply prey for the taking, by most anyone else that is semi-capable with a gun, and the mindset to use it to the extent.

Myself aside it is a dis-service and lack of responsibility to myself, my kids and my family to not be armed and preparted for evil of some sort.

Some people walk through this life like a sheep and some like lions ........... I don't understand sheep very well, LOL.

My opinion,

Sam
Vunerable to what? People here dont carry guns because we dont need to,as I already mentioned.You dont have to worry about the other guy because he doesn't have one either. As far as me being insecure,or prey for the taking,or irresponsible toward my family or any of the other BS,well obviously we have never met.I guess if carrying a gun makes you feel like a lion ,go to it. I do pretty well on my own. I didnt respond to this thread to get in a pissing match about guns ,I was trying to point out the differences in our two countries
Theres more than sheep you dont understand.:givebeer:

Good thread for a wintery Saturday, Nik. Let's see, guns, saws, and I guess we can throw dogs in there now. For sure, dogs easily fall into the personality profile of an average chainsaw nut. May I call you all nuts? Yes, I thought so.

I enjoy my guns, and i would fight any law designed to remove them, but at the end of the day, I'd give them up way before my chainsaws. I just have a LOT more fun with my chainsaws. I will admit that my desire to have guns increased tenfold the one day that I looked up while cutting, realized that I was h#ll-and-gone from ANYWHERE and that I should REALLY take better precautions. From then on I took a sidearm anytime I traveled into the National Forest and I have a nice little relationship with a couple of select firearms that I think are just right for me.

Never been a hunter, don't need to kill anything (although I've considered ridding the world of some of these damnable crows.. they are incredible pests around here), I just think guns (rifles and handguns both) are cool and I cherish and reserve the right to deploy them in a desperate situation.

Now dogs are an interesting situation. I am not nuts about every dog I see. If I didn't have a dog, it wouldn't be terribly hard for me to not get one. I've periodically waited a long time for the dog to come around that floats my boat. My problem is that once I have one it becomes everything to me that a child might be to someone else. I have no kids and probably won't ever have them, but there's no denying that i have a strong paternal instinct. I actually threatened to quit a good job because my employer was considering reversing their decision on whether dogs were allowed in company housing. If I didn't have a pooch at the time I might not have raised such a stink, but my attitude was no different than if someone told a parent that they'd have to give up their child. My dog wasn't going ANYWHERE, for ANY reason. And, yes, if i had to choose between my pooch and my chainsaws and guns the pooch would have won, hands down.

I'm sure glad it hasn't though! :cheers:

Last edited:
scotclayshooter;2050334 With enough shots you can take a tree down anyway:greenchainsaw:[/QUOTE said:
More fun also, just takes too long!:cheers:

More fun also, just takes too long!:cheers:

Just need the right gun...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiCWrL6VjsY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiCWrL6VjsY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back