Cheapest new saw that will handle a 25 inch bar

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dph1256

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a new saw that will pull a 24 inch bar in michigan hardwoods. I currently have a stihl 271 that I like a lot. It just isn't exceptional in the 30" to 40" logs that a tree company dropped off. I have stihl, husky, echo and makita dealers nearby. I've been looking at echo 620 for 560, makita 6421 for 640ish and jonsered 2166 for under 600 on eBay. Which one is best and are there any other options? Thanks

The cheapest new saw would be an echo 590. A dolmar 6100 would be a better saw in my opinion, but a fair amount more money. A husky 555 would be a great choice too. A Dolmar 6421 would do the job, but it's a fair amount heavier. If you want to go that route, I'd find a used one from home Depot and send it off to get a ported 7900 top end put on it. That'll really pull a 24" bar nicely. :)

Thanks for the info. Reading online it sounds like the 590 is under powered for a 24 inch bar or would you disagree? At my dealer the 6421 and 6100 are the same price and I figured the bigger c.c. one would be better

Thanks for the info. Reading online it sounds like the 590 is under powered for a 24 inch bar or would you disagree? At my dealer the 6421 and 6100 are the same price and I figured the bigger c.c. one would be better

Lots of guys run that size bar on them. I personally haven't. I guess it depends on what you're cutting and what your expectations are. It'll do it though, and for a lot less money than a 620, if cheapest is your goal.

The 6421 is an older design. It's a good saw, no doubt about it, but the 6100 is a much newer saw. Lighter, better handling, better air filter, better fuel economy. They'll both pull a 24" just fine.

OP, there's a guy on Amazon selling Dolmar 6100's for $545 with free shipping. You can get the Dolmar marked saws or the Makita marked version.

He had 18 when I came across him 3 weeks ago. He was down to 16 after I checked out...

Just search Dolmar 6100 and he's the only one on there.

I think Chainsawsdirect had the same saw for $579, free shipping as well.

I left one in the box on the shelf and have ran 3-4 tanks through the other one. They are worth every penny. Threw a 20" Tsumura light-n-tough on there with full chisel Stihl and went to town.

That's a really good price for the MS362, Overkill. I read your post about what you picked up the 241CM for and that price couldn't be matched in my neck of the woods.

The cheapest I've found the 362 in Oklahoma or Arkansas is $749 with a 20" Rollomatic E Super bar.

Performance,

There are a slew of saws that will allow a 24 inch b&c to be mounted. The question really boils down to what type of performance do you expect from the saw with the entire or close to the entire bar length buried? Completely different circumstance with a 24 inch b&c in a 30 inch log, vs. the same in a 12 inch cut. What chain do you plan on running is also a huge factor.

There is a big difference between felling and bucking something already on the ground. A saw used for felling must have the power behind it when you see things going not to your liking and need instant giddyup and go to get back on track, bucking not so much an issue. The smaller the hp the more critical the operating properties of the chain become.

Two rules of thumb I have heard, take them for what you will. Saw engine CC should be approximately 3 times the bar's length in inches, or the number of CCs should approximate the number of drive links of the chain. (3/8 pitch)

In the end it's your saw, you decide what is acceptable for your application.

Take Care

24” bar is 70cc territory.
What saw or saws would you recommed?

Some more information I mostly cut down 16 to 20 inch dead ash trees and the 271 has been good enough at that. In the last year or so I have been bucking 30"+ sliver maple, ash and some bass wood that has aready been downed This has been almost beyond the poor 271 abilities

What saw or saws would you recommed?

Some more information I mostly cut down 16 to 20 inch dead ash trees and the 271 has been good enough at that. In the last year or so I have been bucking 30"+ sliver maple, ash and some bass wood that has aready been downed This has been almost beyond the poor 271 abilities

If you want a new 70cc saw, I'd look at a 365x-torque. A little grinding in the transfer covers and it's a 372xp. Very good saws for the money.

Ryan has a good suggestion.....the 590 will have no problems with a 24/25 inch bar. I've seen guys cutting timber here with 28's all day long with no issues. It's the best bang for the buck out there!! There are plenty of other saws to choose from but all cost more and questionable in comparable performance.

I would highly suggest you buy a 70cc saw for the wood you described. Which 70cc saw is up to you, I personally like the older stihl ms440.
Good Luck with whatever you choose.

Latest posts

Back