Choosing a new saw and warranty concerns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kswoodcutter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
It's time to buy a new saw and I think I have it narrowed down to just a couple and am hoping for some insight. This is going to be a big purchase for me so I need to make the right choice the first time.

I think I have it narrowed down to these four
1) Husqvarna 346xp (seems to have a good reputation for reliability/ease of modding)
2) Dolmar PS5100 (same as the 346xp sans mods)
3) Stihl MS261 (cannot remember why the Stihl is here)
4) Echo CS500 (light weight and same class as above)

An 18" bar will do just about everything I need. I cut firewood (6-7 cords. maybe more this year) all winter and also help clear land. My FIL, who I normally cut with, will have a saw in the same range.

I had initially thought about getting the Echo CS400 because it would be a great limbing saw and nice to use in my orchard, but I heard/read terrible things regarding reliability and warranty support (or lack thereof). My impression from reading is that the Echo saws run very lean which can create cylinder damage and that Echo tells you to go to h#$!. The CS500 doesn't seem to have the same bad reliability reviews and it is still light enough to use as a limbing saw. Plus, right now THD is offering great no interest financing. Still worried about warranty stuff though. If I am looking at the 50cc class, I might as well include the 346XP and ps5100 as they seem to be terrific all around saws with great reps. I think Stihl's reputation for hard cold starts turns me off of that brand. I have a hard starting saw now and don't need another.

My FIL has an older Echo CS5100 (not completely sure of the model) and it is a great saw. Better than his Tanaka, for sure. My neighbour uses a PS5100 and loves it. I do have to cut Hedge too, so wimpy saw need not apply.

Wish list
1) not on the heavy end as I am as skinny as they get.
2) easy starting. I'm through yanking on the d#$@ cord while everyone else is cutting.
3) reliable. I take care of my stuff and expect it to outlast me.

Last edited:
Not sure where Stihl gets a rep for being hard to start cold. I've been running them for more than 30 years and haven't had a problem with cold starting yet.

If you're worried about Echo warranty, then ditch that as a choice. Any of the other three saws you mentioned will do a great job for you, and those companies are good with warranties. I'd suggest going to each of those dealers and asking them to try out those saws. There surely are differences, but they are generally small differences that get magnified on forums such as these, where saw nuts like us make mountains out of molehills. :D :D

Even if they won't let you cut with them, you should be able to start and rev them and get a sense of which feels better in your hands. Whichever feels best when you've got your hands on it is the one you should buy.

I've run all three you mention here, and they are easy to start. I do believe the 261 has a decomp valve for easier starting. Not sure if the others do.

Last edited:
My reading of this forum is that the Husky Pro models...XP models have a very short warranty...90 days..??
(this seems nuts to me...It's the top of the line...a Pro model..!!) - Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this..!!

Stihl (all models) will give a 2-year warranty if you purchase a small six-pack of Ultra synthetic oil...~..$15

I'm cool with the Echo dealers...just the Echo management often screws them..and thus the customer gets screwed..!!
(not every dealer...but some of them the Management just screw over) sooo...sort of a roll of the dice on warranty.

Never owned a Dolmar saw..but have used a few others had..real good product..imho..but few dealers in some places.
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
i can guarentee you the warrenty is worthless,, if you have a problem 99% of the time they will blame it on the gas you use and they will tell you that it won't be covered

its 6 months for xp saws for consumer or pro use.

warranties are only good as the dealer, no matter the length stated.

Your worried about a chain saw warranty

I did mod's to my new saw's that I bought with in months of having them

Last edited:
I usually void the warranty on the first tank of fuel :laugh:. Any of those 4 saws will cut more wood than my lazy rear want to pick up, but I like the 346 and the 261 the best.....In that order too :msp_sneaky:.

i can guarentee you the warrenty is worthless,, if you have a problem 99% of the time they will blame it on the gas you use and they will tell you that it won't be covered

I don't buy that on Stihls and Huskys...!! - Stihl for sure is very good about covering warranty work..!!

This company will lose $$ to make you happy and return to buy another Stihl..!! - Smart...Very Smart..!!
J2F

Thanks for all of the good feed back. It seems I can't go wrong with any of my choices. I am going to eliminate Echo for the time being or at least until I can chat with my local dealer.

The only reason I was concerned about warranty was due to the alarming number of Echo customers screaming on the net about how they were given the shaft. That said, it probably never should have made the list. The old Echo tools were great and I still have some that just wont quit, but it sounds like that might not be the case any more.

Thanks for all of the good feed back. It seems I can't go wrong with any of my choices. I am going to eliminate Echo for the time being or at least until I can chat with my local dealer.

The only reason I was concerned about warranty was due to the alarming number of Echo customers screaming on the net about how they were given the shaft. That said, it probably never should have made the list. The old Echo tools were great and I still have some that just wont quit, but it sounds like that might not be the case any more.

If the search feature this forum has, is actually working, do a Dolmar 5100 search, there has been threads on the Dolmar 5100 -5105 issues and terrible dealer help and lack of support.

I usually void the warranty on the first tank of fuel :laugh:. Any of those 4 saws will cut more wood than my lazy rear want to pick up, but I like the 346 and the 261 the best.....In that order too :msp_sneaky:.

got you beat koma,,, i void the warrenty before i even fuel them :D:D:D

Go talk to the dealers. Find one you like and think you can trust. The dealer is a hell of a lot more important than the color of the saw.

They'll all cut wood.

While the 346 would be my choice as I'm a husky fan, what are the reputations of your local dealers? If I was relying on the dealership to service my saw and take care of me if there was a warranty issue, that would weigh heavily on my choice.

I've had the opposite experience on a vehicle where the dealership when out of their way to tick my off (5 trips to the dealership, 11 days in the shop over a 1 month period to replace a broken hoseclamp that caused a coolant leak) so that I replaced my water pump on my own dime when it went out rather than deal with the dealership and I'll never buy another vehicle from them.

The 261 or the 346xp would be my top choices. It's a hrad choice between the two for me though. They're both great saws. Both are just better all around than the Echo cs500 and 5100 IMO.
Did you check out the 550xp? It replaces the 346xp and has the auto-tune carb. Never have to tune your carb again. They run as good or better than the 346xp.

I still like the torque of the Stihl 261 better though. It a good all around firewood saw. If you heard that Stihls are hard to cold start then you've heard that from people who don't take care of there saws. I've owned lots of Stihls and never had any problems starting, hot or cold.

...I do believe the 261 has a decomp valve for easier starting. Not sure if the others do.

It does, I have one, great saw.

My reading of this forum is that the Husky Pro models...XP models have a very short warranty...90 days..??
(this seems nuts to me...It's the top of the line...a Pro model..!!) - Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this..!!

Stihl (all models) will give a 2-year warranty if you purchase a small six-pack of Ultra synthetic oil...~..$15

Warranties are different by user. Stihl list 3 lengths, H/O 1 year (2 if you by the oil), Pro 6-months, Rental 90-days.

Some part (like coils) may have a lifetime warranty from Stihl some do dome don't, I think they are phasing this out. Likely you'll never need the warranty anyhow.

All in all so far good advice and not much brand bashing (yet :msp_sneaky:)

To the O/P one thing i always tel folks to consider (and one of the main reason I stick w/ 1 brand) is part interchangeability. With only 1 saw it may be less of an issue, but does you FIL have multiple bars/chains? If so running a saw that can use the same b/c may give you more options. If nothing else I never go tot he woods to cut w/out and extra saw, or at the very least a second b/c in case I misread a log I am bucking and pinch a bar... and we have all done that guys. Heck I cut cut a tree once and we got 2 bars stuck. I was trying to cut a friends saw out of an uprooted pine, that appeared to be hanging off the ground (so cut down from top and let the tree drop), for some reason, this ice-storm "blow-down" was defying gravity, and sprung up as cut pinching the bars.... Nothing under never figured that one out.

Oh well back to the topic at hand... So having a saw that works w/ other in your stable or nearby stable (heck this is AS you'll have CAD by months end) just makes good logical sense.,

dw

Ms261 hard to start? I just bought one. Its easier than my smaller Echo and Homelites by a long shot...and I have no primer bulb to spring a leak when I least expect it.
I LIKE THE FLIPPY CAPS too ! I can open them up without takeing my leather gloves off. :)

I have and have had many Stihl saws and hard starting has never been an issue with any of them. People that have trouble with them are usually unclear as to the correct procedure.

If warranty is a concern, what if you buy a used saw for half the price and then rest easy knowing you have no warranty? Mod at will and not look back.

Most warranties are important in the first few uses of an item to repair a defect. If you have a saw and cut with it for a year, it is unlikely something is going to occur in the 13th month that a warranty would cover no matter who the warrantor is.

I have and have had many Stihl saws and hard starting has never been an issue with any of them. People that have trouble with them are usually unclear as to the correct procedure.

If warranty is a concern, what if you buy a used saw for half the price and then rest easy knowing you have no warranty? Mod at will and not look back.

Most warranties are important in the first few uses of an item to repair a defect. If you have a saw and cut with it for a year, it is unlikely something is going to occur in the 13th month that a warranty would cover no matter who the warrantor is.
SUPER POST....says it all..!!! - imho..!! - Rep sent..!!...Tried... (site won't let me send you rep..gotta spread it..??)
J2F

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back