Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll volunteer!

And if I got them sent to me before this next weekend (March 14th), I'll bring them to the WI/MN GTG and test them with a bunch of the other members from this site.

Sounds like fun!

It's arranged, ChapsShreddingVidNJesse.

Got to get back out to the shop now.

I'll volunteer!
And if I got them sent to me before this next weekend (March 14th), I'll bring them to the WI/MN GTG and test them with a bunch of the other members from this site.
Sounds like fun!
JNJ,

just be sure that you bring an extra chain or a saw that you do not plan on using for the rest of the day. It can really tangle up the chain, sprockets, bar, etc., and I would hate for you to spend the whole G-T-G picking fibers out of your saw.

Philbert

Glad your ok and hope you get well soon. This is another good reason I wear my Labonville chaps when cutting.

It doesn't even take getting into the chain. Following photo's were taken at the GTG in Iowa last fall when BillG's SP125 spit the flywheel cover off, hit the flywheel and into his leg.

attachment.php

A view from the outside

attachment.php

Look at the inside

attachment.php

He needed a new flywheel too

I may be willing to lay a saw or two into the chaps next weekend as well.

How much chaps can a Mac saw cut, if a Mac saw can cut chaps?

Mark

Good post and another timely reminder! So glad you are not too badly hurt!

I always wear chainsaw boots when cutting but not always chaps...I may change that, they are in the truck...

The boots I have are by SIP, look just like regular work boots but with fibres all across the front. Almost time for another pair, my climbing saw bangs into the back of them hanging on my lanyard, stiching is starting to go, and the wonder tooless oil cap dumped all over my left boot the other day...at least they are waterproof now...

Why CS safety boots are perhaps not as important as chaps for most CS users. Despite that I just ordered some safety boot inserts
attachment.php

As has been asked before the number shown for hands is for both hands but the left hand does suffer more injuries than the right. Typically foolish or inexperienced user is holding onto a branch with the left hand while cutting next to it with the CS, slip . . . . . . . hospital visit.

Also - in case you haven't see this before.
According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission there were over 28,500 chain saw injuries in 1999. More than 36% were injuries to the legs and knees.
The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost alone was $ 5,600 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In year 2000 corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000 for each injury.
Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about 350 million dollars per year.
Workman's compensation costs, based on the assumption that four weeks recovery is required, can be estimated at 125 million dollars annually.
Loss of production as well as loss of quality of life for the injured can not be adequately quantified, but may in fact represent the single largest cost.
There are 69,000 professional loggers in the U.S.. The cost of equipping all of them with one pair of chainsaw chaps at approximately $75.00 each would result in a total annual expense of five million dollars.
There are few situations where safety has a more immediate payback than using chaps in the logging industry.

Last edited:
Classic chart.

I like the chain saw protective boots - required by OSHA in Minnesota.

Steel toed are the next best (but not as good) thing.

Chainsaw Boot Test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pequmgt21Lw&feature=related

BTW - Some of the chain saw protective gloves only have the protective chaps-like material in the left hand, per your chart.

Philbert

Yeah - why'd they do that?

Look at your chart!

I guess they figure that the right hand is on the rear handle, and it's only the left one getting cut?

Chain Saw Protective Gloves
Made with water-resistant nylon backs and goatskin palms for comfort and a better grip without sacrificing dexterity. Cut-retardant Engtex® sewn into back of left glove. High-visibility orange color, separate index finger, and hook and loop wrist straps make these three-fingered chain saw protective gloves an excellent choice for the professional logger.
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/chain-saw-protective-gloves.html

(Sounds like they might also be designed for the logger who has already lost a couple of fingers ?)

Philbert

I just wish I had spare cash when the $ was high to get a couple of GB bars. It's mad that they were over half the price in the US than the country of origin.....

Have you seen Aussie Sawchains prices on some GB bars he bought at Auction. Some of these are priced at AUD$3 an inch or less. I bought 2 bars, from him (a 30 and a 44") and the freight for the two bars to WA from Queanbeyan was AUD$35?

trigger hand (right) almost never gets hurt. it's the free hand that gets nailed!

bare stats says your left hand is equally at risk. yet almost no one wears kevlar gloves. for safety gear ... chaps and helmets are slowly getting accepted.

Why CS safety boots are perhaps not as important as chaps for most CS users. Despite that I just ordered some safety boot inserts
attachment.php

As has been asked before the number shown for hands is for both hands but the left hand does suffer more injuries than the right. Typically foolish or inexperienced user is holding onto a branch with the left hand while cutting next to it with the CS, slip . . . . . . . hospital visit.

Also - in case you haven't see this before.

my dad and a close family freind had mishaps with the businesses end of a saw.
my dad's ain't notice able any more but go back a few years in the mid. '90's when our 044 hit his thigh and it's really my eye opener.now our friend was bucking a log for firewood and hit the ground,poped up nailed him in the knee and several years later he still cant walk right. total bill for dad was 2,000.00.friend's bill was 10,000+, when it all could have been prevented with a 75.00 investment.oddly enough our friend accident was around when i was starting to get interested in saws, so now when ever i almost forget chaps' i think what could and can happen.+ im 12 and want to stay away from the E.R.

trigger hand (right) almost never gets hurt. it's the free hand that gets nailed!

bare stats says your left hand is equally at risk. yet almost no one wears kevlar gloves. for safety gear ... chaps and helmets are slowly getting accepted.

Yep free hand is the one that cops it. I have also seen a stat somewhere that most (left) hand injuries occur with smaller saws. Many users think they can hang onto a small saw one handed. So they hang onto the running (sometimes even cutting) saw with the right hand and clear brush, hang onto or pick up branches etc with the other. The other high number I remember was the large number of hand injuries that occurred while sharpening. While not as bad as a running saw cut the typical injury was slicing hand open when the file slipped or their hand slipped while moving the chain! That's why you see such an emphasis by manufacturers on using gloves while sharpening but I don't see a lot of people doing that, . . . . . . and neither do I.

Have you seen Aussie Sawchains prices on some GB bars he bought at Auction. Some of these are priced at AUD$3 an inch or less. I bought 2 bars, from him (a 30 and a 44") and the freight for the two bars to WA from Queanbeyan was AUD$35?

I've seen some of Laurie's ads but didn't see any in the sizes I wanted. I should have just rung him......although my local fella is looking after me with some new bars at just over $4/in (Tsumura)

Last edited:
YIKES I fell your pain.....were you like I was when I cut my leg, scared to look at it for fear of seeing how bad is really was? I didn't have on chaps when I cut mine but the chain wasn't turning fast so I was pretty lucky, I still to this day have no idea how it happened all I knew was I felt a stinging sensation and my pants were riped.

I've seen some of Laurie's ads but didn't see any in the sizes I wanted. I should have just rung him......although my local fella is looking after me with some new bars at just over $4/in (Tsumura)

The bar I really wanted from Laurie was another 60" stihl sprocket or roller nose but he didn't have any. Then I found my 'deal of the decade' which included a 60" bar. I worked out I picked up the bar for AUD$2.7 (US$1.75) an inch!

One of my sets of chaps is from Labonville a few years ago.

There seems to be no label on how many ply. Anyone know how I can tell which version of their chaps I have?

Back