Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of testing new Labonville 6 ply chaps with square, I am still up for it. It slices so much better than round ground chain that I am not 100 percent sure the chaps will withstand a direct cut like in the vid they offer.

Looks like there is so far little pecuniary interest/support on AS on this, but I will still contribute enough to make it happen if Jesse is still up for it as well.

Jesse, name a number and a drive link count and I'll send you a check and a loop of freshly sharpened square (33RSLFK).

Anyone interested in helping out, PM Jesse and maybe send him a buck or two.

Think of it this way, if fresh square does not cut through the 6 ply Labonville chaps then the 6 ply is adequate protection for most of us.

But if it does cut through, then some of us know we might want to consider something better like the 10 ply.

That is something important to know and well worth a few bucks! And testing it for ourselves is the only way for us to know. It is our AS duty (insert anthem here....).

Last edited:
If you have not watched the test video on the Labonville site, you should do it. It sells you on their gear.

Two years ago I learned about chaps the hard way also. I was starting to do some small tree contracts for the state. I did not own chaps at that point. One day, I managed to drop my chainsaw too soon after cutting. The chain was still turning and hit what I thought was just my pants (wrong). I had a good gash in my thigh that fortunately did not bleed much and only took 10 or 12 stitches to repair after the doctor cut off the hamburger.

I immediately went to the local Stihl dealer and bought some chaps and hard hat etc. I have worn all the gear since. I enjoy the fact that the chaps also protect from branches and all that stuff besides the chainsaw.

I bought a brand new MS361 the other day and was cutting with it for the first time. The bar jumped off a branch when I finished the cut and I did basically the same thing as before only on the lower leg. This time the chaps took the whole thing and I never even got a tear in my pants.

I just got a brand new pair of Labonville two days ago. I'll never cut without chaps again. I don't care how careful you think you are. By the pure nature of the environment and the tool, things can happen and happen quickly.

I just ordered the chaps today. Anyone else want to contribute?

Comeon, it'll be fun!:clap: Second to last chance to do the right thing. Be a part of youtube legend.

Come see Jesse really tear into the chaps with fresh wicked square chain with fury! Will the "leg" survive?! For extra thrills, imagine it is your own leg in the chaps while you watch it.

Cheaper than going to a scarey movie...

And there might be a good bargain afterwards for any one legged loggers out there.:cheers:

Last edited:
I'm in

Count me in for $10, lord knows that I have spent a hell of a lot more on things a hell of a lot dumber. Please pm me an address to send the check to. Thanks to Philbert for the video. I have posted it a couple of times, I don't remember who put it on here first, it was probably over a year ago, but it is still well worth seeing. Should be a sticky up top so newbies and all the rest of us could see it. I've said it before, but I never knew there was such a thing as chainsaw chaps until I found this site. When I first saw them I thought "oh no not another thing to protect us from ourselves, (child proof caps), and then I saw that "ham" video. I didn't cut until the Labonvilles showed up. I am now a real believer, not only in chaps, but Labonville, I think they the world standard for customer service. I can't remember if it was 2 days or 3 before my chaps showed up at my door, but it was fast, and whoever I talked with on the phone was just great. I've not had a live fire test of them, and hope I never do, but I feel protected with them. Also as has been stated, they are hot in the summer, but I just wear shorts and 100% DEET when it get hot. Don't forget to send me the addy so I can send a check. JR

Count me in for $10, lord knows that I have spent a hell of a lot more on things a hell of a lot dumber. Please pm me an address to send the check to. Thanks to Philbert for the video. I have posted it a couple of times, I don't remember who put it on here first, it was probably over a year ago, but it is still well worth seeing. Should be a sticky up top so newbies and all the rest of us could see it. I've said it before, but I never knew there was such a thing as chainsaw chaps until I found this site. When I first saw them I thought "oh no not another thing to protect us from ourselves, (child proof caps), and then I saw that "ham" video. I didn't cut until the Labonvilles showed up. I am now a real believer, not only in chaps, but Labonville, I think they the world standard for customer service. I can't remember if it was 2 days or 3 before my chaps showed up at my door, but it was fast, and whoever I talked with on the phone was just great. I've not had a live fire test of them, and hope I never do, but I feel protected with them. Also as has been stated, they are hot in the summer, but I just wear shorts and 100% DEET when it get hot. Don't forget to send me the addy so I can send a check. JR

Rep coming your way for the contribution!

:cheers:

$20 received

I received $10 checks from cjcocn and jra1100. Thanks!

Anyone else willing to contribute?

Received the new chaps

I received the new test chaps and sent a PM to B_Turner with the chain size.

I am also adding another $5 to my contribution.

I received the new test chaps and sent a PM to B_Turner with the chain size.

I am also adding another $5 to my contribution.

New 6 ply chaps came to around $75 with shipping (to Jesse).

Three guys are in for $10 including Jesse (who has offerred to bump his stake). But since it was my bright idea to find out what actual protection we cutters have, I am not letting him bump his.

So currently I am in for $45 plus I am going to ship Jesse a 84 dl Stihl RSLK loop that I'll touch up on my ProSharp.

Here's the last pitch I'll make on the subject:

This will be a less contrived test than the current public vid - they (deliberately) show the chain touching the chap toward the bottom of the bar with a shortish chain. And who knows how sharp that chain really is.

This test will include very sharp square chain, and cutting further away from the saw which will make both require the fibers to travel further before they reach the saw and be a more realistic test.

Another possible test would be to cut with the top of the bar, which would be an even more demanding test. And if it were me I would touch the chaps with the bottom of the nose.

I expect the Labonville 6plys are breached under some of the testing, but the real question in my mind is to what degree.

Again, since I initiated the idea I don't have a problem helping sponsoring the test and vid (although I sort of hoped for a couple more donors).

It will take me a few days to have time to get out to mail a loop for the test, but it will happen soon.

Thanks Jesse for carrying the ball on this one. I am looking forward to the vid!

Last edited:
I have a lot of faith in chaps and the video representation, and with respect to all involved, do not believe that Jesse hitting a new pair of chaps once or twice with his saw is any more accurate or scientific than those displayed.

There is an established test procedure for the UL certification that involves controlled conditions and uniformity in testing between brands.

I do not know what type of chain they use or which part of the bar (and what size they specify), so your thoughts in that area are interesting. Starting at the top of a very long bar might add 1/20 of a second to the response time? Square filed, razor sharp chain more likely to cut than pull the fibers?

It was a fun thing to try at the recent G-T-G along with other things.

But this test will not let me compare these chaps with anybody else's. It will not let me make an informed decision on whether 'chaps work' or 'chaps do not work', or 'chaps will/will not protect you under these circumstances'.

I do not believe that chaps will protect every saw user 100% in every circumstance, but I do think that they provide significant protection over a wide range of reasonable cutting situations. I am sure that there are situations one could derive where good quality chaps would fail. I am also not sure that a log is representative of a leg.

So if you guys want to play around with this and experiment, that is fine. And if you are willing to post your results for all to see on A.S. that is great - I would like to read about your results. I don't mean to chastise or discourage you. But pass or fail, it will be only one data point that gets added to all of the existing experience we have (including personal) and testing that has been done with protective chaps, not a definitive game changer.

Respectfully,

Philbert

Of course, all of that.

Don't get me wrong here. I have the greatest respect for Labonville and currently wear a pair of their chaps and will continue to.

I am not certainly not accusing them of anything not in good faith. They are a top notch company and are a great benefit to the industry. Ironically, perhaps, I chose them because I personally think their chaps are the benchmark of protection.

I mean this test as just a learning experience. A non scientific trial (seat of the pants so to speak) just to add "data."

Any results will not mean the chaps tested are not excellent. But with any saftey equipment, any data at all on the protection limits is valuable.

So I believe testing with as sharp as a chain as runs in the woods as well as on a couple places on the bar (different distances from the sprocket) is of benefit to me.

Naturally no chap maker claims complete protection. So learning a bit more about points of failure is valuable, I say.

Neither Jesse or I am trying to make too much out of this whole thing. It's simply some personal informal yankee testing of a product, just like I constantly do with tools in my work. No claims included or advice will be offerred in terms of safety or between brands -- just seeing what happens.

If based on your reactions Jesse wants to post the vid with a limit on who can actually view it, that's fine with me. My motives are very simple, I am curious.

I have a lot of faith in chaps and the video representation, and with respect to all involved, do not believe that Jesse hitting a new pair of chaps once or twice with his saw is any more accurate or scientific than those displayed.

There is an established test procedure for the UL certification that involves controlled conditions and uniformity in testing between brands.

I do not know what type of chain they use or which part of the bar (and what size they specify), so your thoughts in that area are interesting. Starting at the top of a very long bar might add 1/20 of a second to the response time? Square filed, razor sharp chain more likely to cut than pull the fibers?

It was a fun thing to try at the recent G-T-G along with other things.

But this test will not let me compare these chaps with anybody else's. It will not let me make an informed decision on whether 'chaps work' or 'chaps do not work', or 'chaps will/will not protect you under these circumstances'.

I do not believe that chaps will protect every saw user 100% in every circumstance, but I do think that they provide significant protection over a wide range of reasonable cutting situations. I am sure that there are situations one could derive where good quality chaps would fail. I am also not sure that a log is representative of a leg.

So if you guys want to play around with this and experiment, that is fine. And if you are willing to post your results for all to see on A.S. that is great - I would like to read about your results. I don't mean to chastise or discourage you. But pass or fail, it will be only one data point that gets added to all of the existing experience we have (including personal) and testing that has been done with protective chaps, not a definitive game changer.

Respectfully,

Philbert

Last edited:
I've been watching this thread with great intrest. I bought a pair of Labonville 6-ply full wrap chaps because of this thread. I will offer $10.00 for this experiment too. Please PM me with details.
:cheers:

Philbert

Take a deep breath buddy. I have read many of your posts, and you add a lot to the discussion around here, but I think you are making way to much of this. It all started, if memory serves because someone got cut while cutting sans chaps and he wanted advice. True to form many on this site gave it, including me. Most if not all of this advice was helpful, and in the course of this discussion B Turner came up with the idea for a different test. As he said "I'm curious", I to am curious, as an old girlfriend once said, "your the most curious person I've ever known", I told her, "hey I just wanted to see what was under there", but that's another story. Anyway "curiosity" is the reason that I sent $10 for the cause. This little experiment won't prove Einstein right or wrong, it will just make us a little less curious about how good Labonville's are, I wear them myself, and recommend them at every opPortunity. I had hoped that others would jump on the bandwagon and send a few bucks, but I guess most people don't want to "see whats under there" as much as Jeep, B Turner, a few others, and I, let us have our fun we ain't hurt n anybody. JR

Take a deep breath buddy. I have read many of your posts, and you add a lot to the discussion around here, but I think you are making way to much of this. It all started, if memory serves because someone got cut while cutting sans chaps and he wanted advice. True to form many on this site gave it, including me. Most if not all of this advice was helpful, and in the course of this discussion B Turner came up with the idea for a different test. As he said "I'm curious", I to am curious, as an old girlfriend once said, "your the most curious person I've ever known", I told her, "hey I just wanted to see what was under there", but that's another story. Anyway "curiosity" is the reason that I sent $10 for the cause. This little experiment won't prove Einstein right or wrong, it will just make us a little less curious about how good Labonville's are, I wear them myself, and recommend them at every opPortunity. I had hoped that others would jump on the bandwagon and send a few bucks, but I guess most people don't want to "see whats under there" as much as Jeep, B Turner, a few others, and I, let us have our fun we ain't hurt n anybody. JR

I'm curious too!!!:popcorn:

Tri955

Yes you are, and your donation was appreciated I am sure. I hope some others will chip in. Thanks, sorry I didn't add your name in the post. JR

I am very interested in this "non-scientific" experiment, but since the cost of sending $10 is another $10, I will just have to send my best wishes.

A couple of things I would like to know that you don't see on the standard tesing vids that you could consider trying.

1) What is the difference in pentration between when the chain strikes the middle of a kevlar pad and the edge or seam of chaps. My concern is at the edge or seam there maybe insufficient fibres to clogg the chain.
2) What is the difference in pentration when the chaps are covering a hard or a soft surface. eg calf muscle and shin bone.
3) What is the difference in pentration when the chaps are taut over say a bent knee versus hanging loosely.
4) Standard chaps are said to be ineffective against electric chainsaws. I'd like to see this demonstrated.

Cheers

Back