Cut Through my Chaps - Next Set?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks in part to this thread, I just ordered chainsaw boots from Baileys.:clap: I can't imagine the rubber boots being comfortable, but I'm kinda fond of my feet.

I agonized over the choices -- rubber chainsaw boots, kevlar lined leather boots, or kevlar booties. It would be nice to have them all.

Of course, while I was ordering the boots, it was a good excuse to throw in that Logrite peavey I've been admiring, and a few other odds and ends.:greenchainsaw:

I have a set of the 10-ply and I'd like to mention they are very warm.

I cut firewood in chaps and shorts. Having some bare skin on the back of my legs helps, even with the full wrap on the calves. I figure that polyester/kevlar is probably a near perfect insulator at 6 plies and a few more doesn't make much difference, but I've never used the thinner chaps to compare.

Maybe not now that our $ has crashed ;) At the current exchange rate they work out at A$120 + freight for my size.
When I bought mine I went through the sums and I was only going to save $10-15 by importing them so I supported the local shop (although my current saw came via the US when our $ was worth a $ :D ),
International post/freight has gone through the roof in the last twelve months too.

Are you saying you found the Cloggers in a store for AU$135? :jawdrop: If so I wouldn't mind knowing where. Our local prices the basic chaps at AU$190

There are ways to minimize international shipping, I just placed an overseas order for tool steel together with two other people so we have split the shipping 3 ways. Finding the other people is not always easy but I just usually put out group email to a bunch of mates and 2 or 3 usually always pick up on the deal.

Good post and another timely reminder! So glad you are not too badly hurt!

I always wear chainsaw boots when cutting but not always chaps...I may change that, they are in the truck...

The boots I have are by SIP, look just like regular work boots but with fibres all across the front. Almost time for another pair, my climbing saw bangs into the back of them hanging on my lanyard, stiching is starting to go, and the wonder tooless oil cap dumped all over my left boot the other day...at least they are waterproof now...

I have the Husqvarna Pro chaps that are 9 ply (9 layers).

The Husqvarna Pro chaps are 5 ply; the Husqvarna Pro "Plus" chaps are 9 ply.

Didn't know they had a plus version. Mine were the 5 ply. Mebbe I should just shaddap. Seems I put out more bad info in this thread than the average troll. :dizzy:

Ian

Didn't know they had a plus version. Mine were the 5 ply. Mebbe I should just shaddap. Seems I put out more bad info in this thread than the average troll. :dizzy:

Ian

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, you came out ahead of the deal because know you know about the plus version.

:cheers:

Are you saying you found the Cloggers in a store for AU$135? :jawdrop: If so I wouldn't mind knowing where. Our local prices the basic chaps at AU$190

There are ways to minimize international shipping, I just placed an overseas order for tool steel together with two other people so we have split the shipping 3 ways. Finding the other people is not always easy but I just usually put out group email to a bunch of mates and 2 or 3 usually always pick up on the deal.

I wish ! everytime I've had a quote for postage it's been around US$35 for something like the chaps, and over $50 for things like bars.
Being out in the sticks makes it a bit harder to amortise the freight with someone else, but it can be done.
I just wish I had spare cash when the $ was high to get a couple of GB bars. It's mad that they were over half the price in the US than the country of origin....

I think I paid $170+GST for the Cloggers back in October, and that was for the longest ones with full wrap, zipped and velcro'd and fastex clips everywhere else.
That was a walk in price, and at least I can claim the GST back as a work expense.

I cut at local wood lots to provide firewood for the needy. Took an 066M with me one day and tried to start it standing up. First pull, it did not start, but swung over and the bar fell against my left leg. Hurt quite a bit, but I looked down and saw no damage whatsoever. When I got home that day, I took off my coveralls and immediately noticed the dried blood on my jeans. Then I went back to the coveralls and found a tiny slit in them where the chain banged into me.

Had a gouge the size of a nickel in my leg, took quite a while to heal up.

I learned two things from this experience. I know how to sharpen a chain, and always wear chaps.

I ordered green wrap arounds from Labonville the next week after watching the videos referenced on this site. Hope I never have to find out how well they protect.

Should have known better. My Dad cut his left leg to the bone right around the same place. The saw that got him was running. He was fine after surgery and a few weeks of recovery.

On chap styles - what is the difference between these two labonville chaps?

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=6

http://www.labonville.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=14&idproduct=5

They are both 6 ply.. but I cant figure out what the difference in style is from the pictures.

The actual chaps themselves are the same size but the wrap chaps have the wrap that goes around the lower calf muscle. (As you can see from the picture) The regular chaps have only a strap and a buckle at the bottom.

- Drea

The actual chaps themselves are the same size but the wrap chaps have the wrap that goes around the lower calf muscle. (As you can see from the picture) The regular chaps have only a strap and a buckle at the bottom.

- Drea

Thank you, do you have a preference either way? Do the chaps stay in place much better with the full strap that goes around the calf versus just the little buckle?

Thank you, do you have a preference either way? Do the chaps stay in place much better with the full strap that goes around the calf versus just the little buckle?

I haven't tried the half wrap chaps. I think the reason for the full wraps is to protect your calf if you let the bar tip drop behind you.

A friend of mine showed me his 30 year old chainsaw scar when I showed him my new chaps last year. He had felled a tree, was running away from it, tripped, and tapped his calf with the still spinning chain (throttle at idle, but chain hadn't stopped yet) Looked like it had scooped out a teaspoon to a tablespoon of flesh. There is still a depression in his leg where the skin healed over the hole. He bucked the tree before going to the doctor to get it cleaned and sewed up. He said the treatment was far more painful than the injury.

Another fun YouTube video on why we wear chaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ian-GvsKksQ&feature=related

Philbert

The OP got lucky, it's a cheap lesson.

I try to wear chaps (and steel toed boots) whenever I cut, but this vid shows how some people get a false sense of security when wearing chaps I think.

He was a little too casual with that saw, like he was playing with a toy.

My brother has a guy on his crew that has nicked his chaps at least three times that I know of. I say three strikes and you are out (of the crew anyway).

I have some old chaps that I kind of want to do a cutting test with, but I don't want to spend 10 minutes picking out the strands from the saw. I'll mail them to anyone that promises to post a vid cutting them with a saw.

Last edited:
I'll do it!

I'll volunteer!

And if I got them sent to me before this next weekend (March 14th), I'll bring them to the WI/MN GTG and test them with a bunch of the other members from this site.

Sounds like fun!

I'll volunteer!

And if I got them sent to me before this next weekend (March 14th), I'll bring them to the WI/MN GTG and test them with a bunch of the other members from this site.

Sounds like fun!

Will you vid it? I want to see. They are an older pair of the forestry ones from Baileys, I think.

Back