Done with hydraulics!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this video is a much better comparison than the DR video as the comparison shows a high quality hydraulic with 4-way and 6 way wedges. The timber wolf in the video is considerably more expensive, I think it would cost around $8,000 as shown and the super split about $3,100. I do not know who the operator is but he is competent with both machines. He does make smaller splits than many would want but whatever take it for what it is. Some things I notice is the super split needed less maneuvering around the machine to pick up and reprocess splits, had more consistant split sizes and most likely used a fraction of the gas. With my old hydraulic I figured roughly a gallon/cord. If I was processing that could become a factor at ~$4.00/gallon.
SUPERSPLIT VS. TIMBERWOLF TW-5 log splitter - YouTube

Last edited:
I have to say you are so much faster than anything I'd ever want to be. When I'm splitting, as for as cycle time, I can't keep up as it is. I guess some people are just in a big rush, but for me too big of a hurry. I was shoveling red Georgia dirt yesterday, no way could I hurry it up. My 70 years old body was sweating like a monsoon. Not to mention my stamina.

Just slow down a tad and get more done. :msp_w00t:

I use a Super Split, but I work fairly slow. Just because the machine splits fast, doesn't mean I have to move fast... Not in a hurry here! :msp_wink:

A big plus for me is how fun this thing is to operate. I still look forward to splitting wood after using it for three years now...

Last edited:
He's gotta throttle up on the TW... painful to watch him using it in what seems to be half throttle.

I think he does have the TW at full throttle, he is showing a 11-12 second cycle time under load. TW rates that machine at 10 seconds no load. He does need to add some gas to the supersplit, sounds like that is running out of gas.

I think he does have the TW at full throttle, he is showing a 11-12 second cycle time under load. TW rates that machine at 10 seconds no load. He does need to add some gas to the supersplit, sounds like that is running out of gas.

I took another look at the TW again and it seems faster now without watching the SS first.:rolleyes2:

Guys, that video is not a good comparison. Anyone that would buy a $9000 hydro and not buy a work table has not used one prior. The table is invaluable to the process. I dont have any time behind a tw5 but have about 200 hours behind a tw6. I would not run it when the table was not usable. Were the 6 shines is in pure stump munching torque. Plenty of times i would roll a 3-4ft round up to the lift and half it into two still unbelievably large rounds and keep on chugging. Thats not where the SS shines. As was said before, in my dream splitting yard there would be a TW6 and two SS set up in a "T" . Hydros have their place...and so do liberals...right underneath a huge pin oak round...

With Harry's FEL loading up.

SS splitters were demonstrated at a timber/ logging field day about a year ago over here.Hydro splitters were demonstrated as well.While the SS were fast on softwoods and freesplitting small hardwood when it came to rounds of tougher woods even down to 14 inch diameter they struggled to split without repeated hits.Hydros split everything,some were slow ,most were fast commercial units with loglifts,trays.Single wedge with 4 way slip on option for easy split hardwood only.Most of our hardwoods often have very interlocked,very tough dense grain even on the straightest of trees, 4 ways,6 ways are a waste of time except on really easy splitting timber.Good hydros here have big pumps,big cylinders 3000 psi + pressure and are built like a tank to stand up to the rigors real life logsplitting.Ebay or craigslist or store bought units rate over here as domestic use only and should be treated as such and left alone.SS fits into this categorie except if u had access to easy splitting smallwood where it would be fast.Any splitter that doesn,t use a loglift,worktrays, is classed as too slow for to be considered a productive commercial unit.:cheers::chainsawguy:

Tazfreak,

So my experience with a kinetic on tough hardwood isn't that far off?
Speed isn't an issue on my hydro since the ram never retracts more than an inch or two beyond the next round distance all set for the next split.
Just a flick on the stop arm as the ram retracts places it ready for the next split, bet I pay a price for that in life or the ram but speed on my hydro can't be much different than any machine since the ram distance for a full split is a couple seconds.

I'm small commercial myself and difficult to justify the big equipment cost for 100 or less cord a year.
Even with pretty much endless supplies of all but free good wood the costs of getting into 200-400 a year just seem like a couple of years of no returns almost guaranteed and 4x the work.

Small and cash is sometimes a good thing :)

Woody, what tazfreak is speaking of is aussie concrete, its not wood. Hehe. Watch some of the videos that matt and some of the brothers from down under post...there aint no chips, just dust and hope. And trust me Matt knows of a sharp chain.

Im not sure what type of "hard" hard wood you have up in ontario but down here its mostly oak, ash, maple and hickory all easy work for a knowledgable SS operator.

Most tools are designed with a "best" situation in mind...heck just look at how many hammer designs there are. Who'd a thunk a hammer could have so many variations...its just a nail isn't it ???

angelo c,

Well I've never split concrete before, bet it burns for a very long time though.LOL

Oak and ash no trouble on the kinetic I tried and yes much quicker on it than a hydro.
I bet for any semi straight grain wood kinetic will win a race easy.

Elm rock and American, shagbark hickory, black locust and most everything that was twist city or fork city was not.
IMO on the kinetic it took 2x the time with that selection and I bet gum in the south USA people will find the same thing.
Anything that is tough to split with a fiskers I think is going to be tough to split on the kinetic.
I only tried a kinetic for one day and a few years ago so sort of a new product at the time, things now might have improved in leaps and bounds.

Like you say though the tool for the job.
I think each will have it's correct use and I bet in the long run both is the answer.

I own about 8 different hammers :)

Last edited:
angelo c,

Well I've never split concrete before, bet it burns for a very long time though.LOL

Oak and ash no trouble on the kinetic I tried and yes much quicker on it than a hydro.
I bet for any semi straight grain wood kinetic will win a race easy.

Elm rock and American, shagbark hickory, black locust and most everything that was twist city or fork city was not.
IMO on the kinetic it took 2x the time with that selection and I bet gum in the south USA people will find the same thing.
Anything that is tough to split with a fiskers I think is going to be tough to split on the kinetic.
I only tried a kinetic for one day and a few years ago so sort of a new product at the time, things now might have improved in leaps and bounds.

Like you say though the tool for the job.
I think each will have it's correct use and I bet in the long run both is the answer.

I own about 8 different hammers :)

Sort of like the hammer comparison, saying you used a hammer is like saying you drove a car one time. Without knowing the specifics of the model it is hard to compare. The SS has had improvements over the years that have seen larger flywheels, engines, etc put to use that increase its power. I debated this for some time and for everyone I heard claiming the SS can't split certain types of hardwood I found someone who said they could. I found a video of a SS splitting Osage Orange, one of the woods that I have no idea about but hear often that it is very difficult to split. The SS took two or more tries to get through on most of the initial rounds that were ~14" dia, each split there after was a single hit.
Either way it isn't a concern to me as all I get is pine, oak, maple, cedar, and cherry. I get my neighbors wood since they are too old and have no interest in burning wood but love that I do.

harrybeaver,

Well cherry can be no picnic to split also.
I have a very old splitter running on time now and a newish splitter so I guess on the next one I will choose maybe a SS.
80% splitting at 2x the speed sounds like a good addition and keep the newish hydro for things that are generally painful on the SS.

Got to be best of both that way.

sunfish,

When you hear silence about a product it usually means it's very good :)
Don't we all love to say when something stinks but are generally quiet when things are going smooth :0

harrybeaver,

I have a very old splitter running on time now and a newish splitter so I guess on the next one I will choose maybe a SS.
80% splitting at 2x the speed sounds like a good addition and keep the newish hydro for things that are generally painful on the SS.

But what about us po folks that can't have two?

I have never heard anyone who 'Owns' a Super Split complain about it.

This is most important!
Even more important try finding an owner who wants to sell theirs. In every area I looked in the northeast on craigslist I could not find one but did see people advertising looking for them. I have had an add on here and ********** looking for a super split for 6 months without a single reply.
There is one for sale right now in CT but it looks like it was left in a field for 25 years, absolutely covered in rust, no clutch or belt, needs the pinion and rack replaced, and no flywheel cover. The owner wants $1,000 for this, personally I think he should be shot for allowing this to happen to a piece of equipment. Here's a link:
Supersplit Logsplitter 6hp Honda

Preston,

I only buy as wood sales allow so really I'm not even using my money.
Just amounts to a little per cord towards a splitter so I can make the same faster LOL

Not much I can do about the American economy other than to say buy what you make whenever you can.
Canadians can learn a great lesson also in doing the same thing.

Then Poor folks will not be common.
Look at the 40s 50s when America made everything and poor was uncommon.

Well at least one more rich person exists in China if that helps at all.
Something to think about.

harrybeaver,

Honestly, Cherry is real easy to split. Black cherry is a weed down here. great wood burns well, pops and shoots almost like a cedar, smell awesome dries quick too, lots of times its twisty but rarely is it a problem to SuperSplit it....

keeping the hydro in the verticle mode is great for bustin big huge rounds you don't want to load on the horizontal SS by hand(or back). Best of both worlds.

Back