Dropped Large Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowa

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I dropped a 40" oak this morning. This was the largest tree I've ever fell. It went pretty smooth. It was leaning away from other trees and a fence. Sorry to see such a big tree go, but the guy wanted it gone out of his lot. I need firewood and have saws. I used my 7900 with a 28" winsor speed tip. It took a little while. My notch was nice and clean. However, my back cut was a bit too high. I got close to the hinge and it wasn't wanting to go. I used my wedges and hammer and it went. I sure got the hell out of there when it was creakin.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice job.

Freaky, though, aint it when you're whacking away on the wedges and for some reason, you keep thinking, "I hope this doesn't rock back on me...

Yes. It is freaky. But the tree had a deffinate lean to it. And some hellatious winds to push it the right way too.

I call bull on this post! Nothing but a 361 could cut that tree down. :chainsawguy:

Nice Job ;-)

Creakin,wind,leans.Makes a person think.Ditto on the get out of dodge when the thing starts going.Nice job and stay safe.

Nobody lost an eyeball, no one bled all over the place, no one got Flattened,
All in all I'd call it a Good drop!

That's a couple days worth of blocking and splitting.
Ibuprofin is your friend!;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

looks like you did one hell of a job. now have fun with the splitting and bucking. stay safe
and one more thing, i think those saftey glasses are bad ass, your all just jealous

Nice job. Your back cut is nearly ideal. If anything, you probably could have made your face cut a little deeper, which would have made the tree go over easier.

Looks like some quality wood right there!

You got it down where you wanted it and no one got hurt, good job. But even though every thing went good, you are able to look at what you did and see how you could have done something better, those are the kind that I like to work with. PLUS with that shirt, you must know what your doing.

Nice tree. It is always kinda sad to cut a big healthy tree. If you could mill that bad boy it could make you some $.
I have a blue gum that is just shy of 14' in circumference at breast height and 100' or so that I am going to drop. I feel bad about cutting as it is a grand tree, but there are a few bigger trees by it and I have been planning to cut it for a few months and have already cleared the fall site of trees. I am going to plant some sequoias in it's place as my grandfather cut down the last redwood on the ranch in the 50's. It will be cool to have some redwoods back on the ranch.

Nice tree. It is always kinda sad to cut a big healthy tree. If you could mill that bad boy it could make you some $.
I have a blue gum that is just shy of 14' in circumference at breast height and 100' or so that I am going to drop. I feel bad about cutting as it is a grand tree, but there are a few bigger trees by it and I have been planning to cut it for a few months and have already cleared the fall site of trees. I am going to plant some sequoias in it's place as my grandfather cut down the last redwood on the ranch in the 50's. It will be cool to have some redwoods back on the ranch.

can you just go buy a giant sequoia sapling at lowes?

Latest posts

Back