Dumb question about the modded saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say, all in all, anything done to undo the things they do to saws to make them cleaner or quieter will improve its life span. If you make them more fun than that, it will likely take some life span out...but who wants to live forever!:greenchainsaw:

not true, more power = more work done= less energy left to go into heat. (i do know it is not this simple but think it is applicable)

but, as gas expands, it cools. (gas law)

A simple muffler mod maybe will help things. But a modded saw with 30% more power is not going to last longer.

Do Top fuel dragsters last longer then a stock auto engine??? NO!!! They get 1 run out of them.

Do Top fuel dragsters last longer then a stock auto engine??? NO!!! They get 1 run out of them.

No, but if you took those roller rockers and lifters, sump and cooling mods, headers and oil pump, and put them in my truck with a mild port job and slightly bigger carb, it would run faster AND longer.

Leave the same carb in place, and I might get better mileage because of the increased efficiency.

A simple muffler mod maybe will help things. But a modded saw with 30% more power is not going to last longer.

if you are talking about hours, sure the bearings will not last as long, the cylinder could last just as long though...

if you are talking about work done than i don't know. you would get 30% more work done in the same # of hours

I see your point.... but that is not the only factor, so there is nothing that can be said absolute. well almost nothing...(that was absolute)

Producing more horsepower is putting more strain on the engine, period!!! Don't know why that is so hard to understand?

I understand, but the strain is on the crank and bearings. while the p/c run cooler. What is the weakest link? if the bearings outlast the P/C, a case could be made that a mild port job increases life of a saw. if the bearings are the weak link, than yes you are shortening the saw life. (but enjoying every minute of it)

weakest link varies from saw to saw.

if anything i said here is not correct please point it out...

In the real world if a saw is modded somewhat to produce a faster more powerful saw, would you expect to get the same hours out of it as one that hasn't been modded? I'm not talking about changing to different parts, but working over the original piston, cylinder, and muffler to improve performance.

:chainsawguy:

You obviously didn't read the orignal question then did you???? SEE ABOVE!!

if you are talking about hours, sure the bearings will not last as long, the cylinder could last just as long though...

if you are talking about work done than i don't know. you would get 30% more work done in the same # of hours

I see your point.... but that is not the only factor, so there is nothing that can be said absolute. well almost nothing...(that was absolute)

I understand, but the strain is on the crank and bearings. while the p/c run cooler. What is the weakest link? if the bearings outlast the P/C, a case could be made that a mild port job increases life of a saw. if the bearings are the weak link, than yes you are shortening the saw life. (but enjoying every minute of it)

weakest link varies from saw to saw.

if anything i said here is not correct please point it out...

How does it run cooler?? My thinking, greater combustion = More Heat, your getting it out faster, but its still greater heat, so maybe you get it out a little faster that brings down the higher temps, maybe to stock temp.

Sorry i do not take every post in a thread as a direct response to the original question.

i was comparing hours to years (assuming that the same amount of work will be done in a year modded or not.)

Sorry i do not take every post in a thread as a direct response to the original question.

i was comparing hours to years (assuming that the same amount of work will be done in a year modded or not.)

Yes, that's true, that's why the pro's run modded saws. I like em too, I've ported a few, had good results, I screwed up the first one. I've also got a ported 372 that someone else built for me.

How does it run cooler?? My thinking, greater combustion = More Heat, your getting it out faster, but its still greater heat, so maybe you get it out a little faster that brings down the higher temps, maybe to stock temp.

as gas expands, it cools. (gas law)

because in a modded saw you are being more effecient (assumption) you run cooler. A 100% efficient engine would have the same intake temp as exhuast temp (theoretically)

I just want it to kick arse long enough to make me money. The increased rate of getting er done is what makes work mods rock.I feel like many more strain maybe more heat definitely more fuel but less I repeat less time!

(there is greater) ...strain is on the crank and bearings. (In a ported saw)

agreed...

Yes, that's true, that's why the pro's run modded saws. I like em too, I've ported a few, had good results, I screwed up the first one. I've also got a ported 372 that someone else built for me.

agreed.

My belief is that you take the same engine, one stock one modded, the modded one produces more heat, just like modding a car engine, you see guys running larger fans, bigger radiators, too keep it cool. I have a diesel truck, I did a better exhaust and intake, to keep the egt's down, since I added a chip, it now runs hotter then stock.

Latest posts

Back