Ebay saw pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I suggest you post a link to one of your ads if you're open to critique? I buy a lot on ebay and have sold a bit, and I can tell you, the ad makes ALL the difference in the world. I'm not saying it's your problem, but we can all improve. I sold some coins on there and got a disappointing price. I checked out the ads of other sellers who were getting more, and learned a few things. Went back and sold more of the exact same coins and did a lot better. I got such a good deal on a chainsaw recently that I honestly felt bad. But the guy's ad was terrible and he made the saw sound way worse than it actually was. I read between the lines and scored an awesome deal.

Small things like when your auction ends make a big difference too. I cruise late on weeknights and get awesome deals on all types of things at 1 or 2 in the morning. BAD time to have your ad end if you're a seller. Sunday afternoon is prime. I got a like new Sony 9" Portable DVD player with remote, car charger, 110V charger, original package and even the unfilled-out warranty car for 18 bucks (free shipping too :D) a couple weeks ago.

You might be right about the ad...I usually don't go overboard about expressing how great the saw is because I'm sensitive to the customer not feeling that way when he gets the saw and looks it over. Most used saws have a few imperfections and I usually tell what they are so the buyer will be informed about what he is bidding on. Also I'm not crazy about someone wanting to return something after I've described it as it is. I had a guy return a saw that I had described accurately; he said the saw didn't have any compression and there's no way it would start. I knew that it did because I cut some wood right before I listed it. But I took it back although I smelled a rat, fueled it up and it started within 3 pulls. I still can't figure out if he just wanted to borrow a saw, was a scammer, or an idiot.

Saws on e-bay. I must be looking in the wrong place these days. I cruise e-bay also but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of whole saws anymore running or non -running . Seems like it is mostly parts these days. There doesn't seem to as many part saws on e-bay like there used to.

There seems to be many of low end saws on the market but any good brand stuff like Sthil has one to five saws of a particular model and the rest is parts from the salvage guys and that looks like that market has gotten saturated and competitive.

Seems like when they changed the way things were sold back about a year or so is when the saws started disappearing and parts have taken their place. It has been a long time since I have bought or sold a saw on e-bay so I don't know how much they take for selleres fees. I recently sold a mower for a few hundered bucks and the seller fees were right at 10%.

It doesn't matter to me because I am a reformed CAD and would like to sell off some stuff but it hardly seems worth the effort to list and ship a part saw and only get 20 bucks for the saw itself . A few years ago you could have easily doubled that money and then some.

Last edited:
Saws on e-bay. I must be looking in the wrong place these days. I cruise e-bay also but there doesn't seem to be much in the way of whole saws anymore running or non -running . Seems like it is mostly parts these days. There doesn't seem to as many part saws on e-bay like there used to.

There seems to be many of low end saws on the market but any good brand stuff like Sthil has one to five saws of a particular model and the rest is parts from the salvage guys and that looks like that market has gotten saturated and competitive.

Seems like when they changed the way things were sold back about a year or so is when the saws started disappearing and parts have taken their place. It has been a long time since I have bought or sold a saw on e-bay so I don't know how much they take for selleres fees. I recently sold a mower for a few hundered bucks and the seller fees were right at 10%.

It doesn't matter to me because I am a reformed CAD and would like to sell off some stuff but it hardly seems worth the effort to list and ship a part saw and only get 20 bucks for the saw itself . A few years ago you could have easily doubled that money and then some.

That's kinda what I was getting at when I started this thread. I've even got $20 some for running saws! I've seen others do well but when I tried selling the same type saws I didn't do that well. On something other than the "big 4" that I mentioned earlier it's kind of a crap shoot, parts saws and running saws may sell for similar prices so might as well sell the parts saws and keep the running saws, at least for now.

350 Husky

Well, out of curosity and to prove myself right or wrong, I listed my 350 Husqvarna chainsaw, complete, in good running condition, actually still in shiny condition. I saw several on there that went for more than $170, plus shipping, so I listed mine with $150 reserve. I figured I'd have to have that much to come out to the good. At the same time mine was on there several 350 Huskys went for more than that but mine didn't meet the reserve. I provided pics and a good description of the saw, have a 100% rating but apparently that wasn't enough. So I'll just keep the saw for awhile and use it next year.

Well, out of curosity and to prove myself right or wrong, I listed my 350 Husqvarna chainsaw, complete, in good running condition, actually still in shiny condition. I saw several on there that went for more than $170, plus shipping, so I listed mine with $150 reserve. I figured I'd have to have that much to come out to the good. At the same time mine was on there several 350 Huskys went for more than that but mine didn't meet the reserve. I provided pics and a good description of the saw, have a 100% rating but apparently that wasn't enough. So I'll just keep the saw for awhile and use it next year.
the reason yours didn't is because you had a reserve, most people don't waste their time on reserve auctions anymore because most of them are to high, if I see a reserve auction I'll go to the next one that doesn't have it..

QUOTE=Rftreeman;2695933]the reason yours didn't is because you had a reserve, most people don't waste their time on reserve auctions anymore because most of them are to high, if I see a reserve auction I'll go to the next one that doesn't have it..[/QUOTE]

:agree2: Dont waste your time with a reserve, if you want a set price sell it at a fixed price.

Last edited:
I just had an 045 with bar and chain and ran great go for $110. I listed it without a starting bid so it was .99. I messed up. SO becareful how you list things.

My observation is that, right now, saws don't seems to be selling, so people have pulled their high dollar stuff. Others selling parts are trying to deal with the low prices by doing "Buy it nows." I don't really think this is very different than other years... it's the heart of winter and things typically drop during this period.

I am more concerned with the new Forest Service Regulations about ORV travel. I think this is going to mean a lot of people are going to give up on cutting their own wood. Hell, even I'm considering it, and I'm not a lazy firewood guy. Saws may go cheap if this happens.

I'll have to admit I screwed up when I listed my 350. We had free listings on ebay so I should have just started the bidding at $150. That way, if it didn't sell, it wouldn't have cost me anything. Ahhh, I learn a lot from my mistakes!

Oh, by the way, the other 350 Huskys, some of them had reserves on them too, and people bid higher on them than mine. I just wish they could have seen mine in person...also I still suspect a rat in some of the bidding, especially the real high ones. Maybe they're getting help from some friends or relatives.

I suspect an honest listing sometimes means lower bids. Some will say "Like new, only 20 minutes use!" and bids scream because the saw looks shiney and folks don't shows pics of wear areas. I want to see pics that show wear areas and a description that was written by someone who actually cuts instead of someone that bought a saw at a yard sale.

But then guys like that that are looking for a saw are usually broke, like me!! LOL! So they can't bid them up very high or realize that a shiney saw could still have a torched piston and you are really buying on faith alone.

Just my .02
Bill

Ebay saw picing/350 husky

I have sold about 400 saws in the last 5 years on Ebay,I have learned a few things.
1)The ad is all important,read other ads for the same saw and check the sold price against content.I try and list all the good the bad the ugly and the questionable.I do not try to color it more than the condition warrants.I do list compression,spark y/no,piston and cylinder shape,bar and chain % left etc.
1a)Take good pictures that show the good and bad on the saw,and match your description.
2)I start all AUCTIONS at .99,with the reserve set,why not, it gets the auction kick started.
3)Do your pricing research in completed listings.I make up a list of all finished listings that match my saw,throw out the highest and lowest bids and take the average,that is my reserve.
4)I usually get the higher end of the going sale prices,my rating is at 100% ,that helps.
5)All that being said,here is the Husky 350 tie in.I listed a very good 350 before Christmas, with a reserve of ~169.00,it did not sell.I relisted it after Christmas,same reserve,added an extra chain,it sold for $256,go figure.

I've sold on eBay for a few years, bought stuff on eBay for a few years more, and currently work for eBay (don't tell the boss, but I'm at work now...)

A few comments:

My experience with Ebay is there is big demand & high prices for a handfull of saws...

Absolutely. There is a tipping point with the popularity of a particular item/brand after which lots of buyers will bid too much. It doesn't make logical sense, but it happens. If you're a seller, anything popular you can safely start your auctions at $.99. If something isn't very popular, you'd better sell it as a Buy It Now item. Someone will come along that is willing to pay your price and is unwilling to wait for some auction to complete (with no guarantee they'll be the highest bidder).

i sold a nice 460 last week with new 28" bar and chain for 455, last night one in a lot worse shape went for 550 . wtf

Not surprising at all. There isn't a constant set of buyers with unchanging buying needs. Ignoring how good your item description may be, there are too many other variables: day of week, time of day, other items that are similar to yours, etc. (these have been pointed out by other folks already).

A factoid: peak weekly buying happens between about 12:00PM and 5:00PM on Sundays.

I think I read somewhere that it's that way now but you have to sell more than $10,000 worth or something like that. I guess if they do that, some of us guys could claim a loss. Some of these old saws sell for about $15 or $20..what did they cost new? Remember, you're only taxed on your profit, not your gross.

The IRS has stated they will be looking more closely at the sellers that sell a lot, BUT they haven't promised to ignore those of us that don't sell alot. If the IRS decides to look at your eBay revenue, you will be taxed on your gross sales unless you can show documents that prove your costs of doing business (receipts, eBay invoices, etc.).

I just stopped by a new dealer in the area yesterday looking for a new 36" bar. They said I could buy the bar but not the chain. I was like "WTF". But due to libility issues they don't sell yellow chains. So I asked for the price and how long. They said $107 out the door and will be here in 3 weeks. I said I would pass. Ebay for $90.50 will be here later this week. I try to shop local when I can but for 16.50 I will do ebay and buy my chain from bailey's.

If you know what you want and know how much something is worth, you will almost always save money when buying on eBay. If you add PATIENCE, and are willing to wait for a good deal, you can save huge amounts of money when buying on eBay. For any of us that have a need for a specific item and can wait awhile to get it, learn how to use the "Save Search" feature. This feature will daily do an eBay search for any matching items and send you an email if it finds something that matches.

Here's my thoughts. 1) ebay will flag shill bidding if an item is listed and bid upon from the same ISP #. Of course this is avoided by using two accounts on a public computer and happens a lot!...

This is only one of many methods that eBay uses to identify shill bidding. eBay has gotten good enough at identifying shill bids, that shill bidding has become a much, much smaller problem than a few years ago.

1)The ad is all important,read other ads for the same saw and check the sold price against content.I try and list all the good the bad the ugly and the questionable.I do not try to color it more than the condition warrants.I do list compression,spark y/no,piston and cylinder shape,bar and chain % left etc.
1a)Take good pictures that show the good and bad on the saw,and match your description.
2)I start all AUCTIONS at .99,with the reserve set,why not, it gets the auction kick started.
3)Do your pricing research in completed listings.I make up a list of all finished listings that match my saw,throw out the highest and lowest bids and take the average,that is my reserve.
4)I usually get the higher end of the going sale prices,my rating is at 100% ,that helps.
5)All that being said,here is the Husky 350 tie in.I listed a very good 350 before Christmas, with a reserve of ~169.00,it did not sell.I relisted it after Christmas,same reserve,added an extra chain,it sold for $256,go figure.

All absolutely true. Listen closely to people that are have a lot of eBay experience.

You can also use a 'reserve' to your advantage by lowering it a couple days before the auction ends. When you lower the reserve price this way, everyone who has your item on their watch list gets an email saying you lowered the reserve price. We have made a few sales on the larger things that we listed this way.

reminds me of an old friend, spent $25,000 on a hotrod and was scared to drag race it cause he couldn't afford the parts if it broke....

as for ebay prices, it just depends on the demand of the item and keep in mind sometimes you have a few guys that refuse to lose the auction so they get in to a bidding war and drive the price up plus you also have crooks that use false ID's to shill bid driving the price up..

The pain of paying too much is not near so sharp as the remorse of missing the deal.

:)

Problem with ebay is the seller has no recourse. You used to be able to leave negative feedback for the buyer. Now you cant. WTF is that? Doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of feedback ? Sellers have to be honest but buyers dont? Load of crap.

I have sold about 400 saws in the last 5 years on Ebay,I have learned a few things.

Wish I would have read this an hour ago!!!!

Back