Echo CS-300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HLC03

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just traded a laptop for a brand new in box CS-300. I did just recently buy a CS-341 and I like it except for the bar oil that leaks through the clutch cover and onto the top of the saw, its like a magnet for chips. I know the 300 is built basically the same as the 341. Anyway back to the CS-300.

I wanted to get some opinions from guys that have run this saw. Is the carb the same basically as the 341? Can I tune it the same as the 341, I heard something about reed valves? How does it cut? If I do a muff mod will it pull a 14inch bar good enough to use for tree work on a daily basis?
I am still new to this stuff so be easy on me.

Does anyone on this forum mod Echos in terms of port work?

Should I just keep it new and try to use it in another barter on Craigslist and try to get something else?

Thanks for any info in advance!
Adam

it does have the reed valve in it and it can be modded like any other saw. Its not worth porting it though

so whats the difference reed valve vs ? whats on the 341? are reed valve saws harder to tune?

Adam

the 341 is also reed valve. i think the 300 is just an older style of the 301 which is a smaller cc saw than the 341 you have. the only top handled echo's that are piston ported are the 330 and 360's but those things suck so bad. its a big bulky pos and the power is mediocre as well. what happened was echo dropped the 341 a few years ago discontinued it because of the newer 330 360's and when everybody hated them they brought it back to the market in orange lol

I just picked up one as well.
I did a muff mod to it and advanced the timing slightly and it is a LOT better saw now.
Simple to muff mod, just rotate the baffle 180 degrees, open the inner case almost to the edge of the shroud, and trim off the lip on the exhaust shroud to where it comes straight down instead of bottlenecking.
The tune up specs say to WOT between 10,000 and 12,000 so I set mine just under 11,000.
It is a peppy little limber but not NEARLY the power of my 3410 Dolmar!!!

Mike

I Used a cs 300 for about 4 or 5 years. Mostly for trimming palm trees and cutting up pepper trees. I put a lot of hours on it. Its a great little saw. It isn't very powerful but I liked it. A muffler up grade would def help it out.

I don't know if you have the greyish white or the newer orangey red version of the saw but on the older ones the handle was flawed. the end of the loop would break right near where it screwed into the side of the saw body. I fixed 8 of them that broke all in the same way.

When yours breaks drill a hole in the handle about 3/8" to 1/2 inch away from the end just big enough for 10 or 12 guage insulated wire and tie the handle down. Mine lasted like that the whole time I used it. Don't use it if that side handle breaks without fixing it because the top handle will then break and don't bother ordering a new side handle. just use the wire. it will last longer. In fact. If you have the older cs 300 (the newer one may be the same) just put the wire on now. Out of the 12 used cs 300/ 3000/ 340's I came across 8 were broken in the same spot.

And the cs 361 doesn't suck. I have a 019 and a cs 361 and the cs361 is way better.

Its the greyish/white saw. I thought that the way Echo mounted the handle looked funky. Rep added. Thanks for the tip.

Adam

Back