Echo CS 501P vs Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about the 261c….i been working the **** out of mine with 18” bar pleasantly surprised by it!!!

Pull the dang epa stops if far as you can go on it. Get full tune then. Not what they want you to have to be safe.

The 590 was like that and horrible lean.

490 pulled for fill adjustments in pic. Pluck the dang things out.
The OP said it was four stroking, which means it's rich. Making it richer will only make nit cut worse.

The OP said it was four stroking, which means it's rich. Making it richer will only make nit cut worse.
Some folks dont know what they hear. I have had guys say that and hitting coil limiter when I check them on saws. So just in case.

501 should be unlimited though.

026's 260's and 501's need a muffler mod IMHO. Both night and day differences.

One muffler modded one not. Night and day difference with both early better 44mm. Echo is same way.

s026x2.jpg

He said it's 4 stroking lightly which means it most likely is lean or running up against the rev limiter, Echo saws have the best torque of any 50cc saws, he said his is low on torque which points to it being to lean. Steve

Some folks dont know what they hear. I have had guys say that and hitting coil limiter when I check them on saws. So just in case.

501 should be unlimited though.

026's 260's and 501's need a muffler mod IMHO. Both night and day differences.

One muffler modded one not. Night and day difference with both early better 44mm. Echo is same way.

View attachment 1163643
Which is way Mtronic/Autotune is a good thing and 30 year old Echos are not.

He said it's 4 stroking lightly which means it most likely is lean or running up against the rev limiter, Echo saws have the best torque of any 50cc saws, he said his is low on torque which points to it being to lean. Steve
If it's four stroking lightly it's still rich... 4 stroking is the saw running so rich it's misfiring...
Most guys can't tune a saw to save their lives or even know what one feels like.

If it's four stroking lightly it's still rich... 4 stroking is the saw running so rich it's misfiring...
Most guys can't tune a saw to save their lives or even know what one feels like.

Are you trying to say it shouldn't 4 stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. Have you ever run a well tuned muff modded Echo that was broke in. Steve

Are you trying to say it shouldn't 4 stroke out of the cut and clean up in the cut. Have you ever run a well tuned muff modded Echo that was broke in. Steve
In most cases, no it shouldn't. Depends on a few different factors.
The whole 4 stroking out of the cut and then cleaning up in the cut was something that was started to make tuning easier. It's pretty coarse in reality and in no other industry is it an exceptable way to tune a 2 cycle engine.
The last Echo I ran was labeled Kioritz. No desire to run 30 year old designs. Echo has nothing over Stihl or Husky other than they are cheap and they are so for a reason.

In most cases, no it shouldn't. Depends on a few different factors.
The whole 4 stroking out of the cut and then cleaning up in the cut was something that was started to make tuning easier. It's pretty coarse in reality and in no other industry is it an exceptable way to tune a 2 cycle engine.
The last Echo I ran was labeled Kioritz. No desire to run 30 year old designs. Echo has nothing over Stihl or Husky other than they are cheap and they are so for a reason.

With Stihl and your paying for hype. I have Stohl and Husky saws , prefer Echo for thier wide power band. Steve

I will side with Bwalker on the Stihl is a better saw. They are more advanced and very dependable . They use less fuel than Echo's . I have a Stihl 441 that many people don't like , but is used about that same amount of fuel as my Echo 620 and maybe less. I imagine the autotune is even more efficient... No? Maybe not, but who cares. I have a lot of wood cut and only used 1 gal. so far this year. The Echo is a good saw however. The Echo does not have a long lasting bar neither. My Stihl bars last for a long time and are better saws.

Latest posts

Back