Echo CS 501P vs Stihl MS 260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is a 3 position adjustable oil pump perhaps only the middle is a sensible choice.
On my echo the min and max are extremely far apart, not sure if I got it on the notch it started on or if it is more adjustable than that.

I have an ECHO CS-501P and love it.
I've had it a couple years and it starts every time with two or three pulls cold even after sitting half a year. I think that is pretty impressive considering it has no primer, just a decompression valve and choke.
As for power, it is fine for what I have in the yard. There is a 28" red oak on the ground and it did fine cutting it up. It was 85 feet tall.

Compared to the few Stihl's and Husqvarna's that I've owned it is such a treat to have a saw that starts reliably without wearing me out.

I have an ECHO CS-501P and love it.
I've had it a couple years and it starts every time with two or three pulls cold even after sitting half a year. I think that is pretty impressive considering it has no primer, just a decompression valve and choke.
As for power, it is fine for what I have in the yard. There is a 28" red oak on the ground and it did fine cutting it up. It was 85 feet tall.

Compared to the few Stihl's and Husqvarna's that I've owned it is such a treat to have a saw that starts reliably without wearing me out.
A machine that starts is not a high bar.

Yes it is to the many I see here that come in for no start. I get a kick out of the guys and show them this.

Any brand can have issues without maintenance by their owners.

I like to go grab a poulan and start it in front of them. Just to show them brand dont matter. Maintenance and tuning does. ;)

lolstihlpull.jpg

Expecting a machine to start isn't a given to you?
I expect a machine to start. I have found some designs are more difficult to start after running in hot weather, after sitting for a week, after sitting in cold weather, etc. Some designs flood easily. The worst place to have to pull a saw over more than once is in the tree. Some saws designs start more easily, just like some car designs start more easily in cold weather. It is a valid point that a given saw has always been easy to start for someone, especially given that some have less experience. I will take the saw that starts easily and gets the job done over a "fast" saw that is a pain to start and run. If you or someone else disagrees with me, that's fine, say so nicely, and let the conversation continue. All my anecdotal evidence is with used saws, so I may be off.

I expect a machine to start. I have found some designs are more difficult to start after running in hot weather, after sitting for a week, after sitting in cold weather, etc. Some designs flood easily. The worst place to have to pull a saw over more than once is in the tree. Some saws designs start more easily, just like some car designs start more easily in cold weather. It is a valid point that a given saw has always been easy to start for someone, especially given that some have less experience. I will take the saw that starts easily and gets the job done over a "fast" saw that is a pain to start and run. If you or someone else disagrees with me, that's fine, say so nicely, and let the conversation continue. All my anecdotal evidence is with used saws, so I may be off.
Well spoken! 👍

I've never had any two cycle motor that is hard to start. IMO when people have problems with starting its operator error.

I've never had any two cycle motor that is hard to start. IMO when people have problems with starting its operator error.
IMO I think you know little about saws. You spout data from a book. IMO you are the most despised member on this forum and have been for years and years.

I probably have more trigger time on a saw than you...
You sound like a little kid talking to a mate.... "oh yeah, well my dad can beat up your dad".
You have hurt this site more then you have helped it by trying to jam your one sided, fan boy opinion down everyones throat.
I can't comprehend the fan boy thing at all.
Are you kidding me?? I am stuned & amazed at that comment. Its your way or the highway 100% of the time.

The problem arrives when the cheap azz crew starts to compare them to Husky and Stihl.
The "cheap azz crew" you refer too are the members of this forum.
Echo zealots are about as bad as the Dolmar fan boys from years past.
What a ignorant thing to say. Stihl, Husky, Echo and Dolmar all make excellent equipment. As I said earlier I own at least one of each and love them all. You speak of saws you know nothing about like you ran them side by side.

How does the Echo compare with the Stihl? Firewood and fence row maintenance only.
I have not run a 260 so I dont have opinion but I own a Echo 4910. Except for the handle and coil, the Echo 501 and 4910 are basically identical. For what your needs are I would consider the 4910. It has the same magnesium crankcase, crank, piston, etc etc as the 501. With tax I paid $406 from Home Depot. I went with 18" bar and love the saw. If I were a pro or If money was not an issue I would surely go with the Stihl.
Hope this helps, good luck.

The "cheap azz crew" you refer too are the members of this forum.

What a ignorant thing to say. Stihl, Husky, Echo and Dolmar all make excellent equipment. As I said earlier I own at least one of each and love them all. You speak of saws you know nothing about like you ran them side by side.
I logged with a Dolmar 7900 prior to most on this forum even knowing about them.

Back