Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
145108e687da66ff27e6b3ab5424a14a.jpg
c9f5116e4af0e490b4395af46799734b.jpg

Here's the ones of Cody's I had saved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So correct me if i'm wrong but this would pull the tree to the right in this picture? So it swings towards the sis-wheel right??

So does this only work on trees where the fibers hold really well? Looks like if they broke pre-mature you could loose the swing effect?
Also, if you don't make your cuts exactly right the tree can take off on you.
The siz is a good trick to know but I'd do my practicing on trees where it doesn't matter if they go sideways.

So it's designed to swing it a complete 90 degrees? Meaning the tree should end up swung around as if the sis wheel notch was the face cut? Or does is swing it half of that distance? This all in a perfect world of course!

The siz is a piece out of the face. Depends on the tree and what you're doing with the far corner. It can do more than 90. The goal is to expose the fibers on the pull side so they stay intact longer pulling the top around. Some species hold better than others. Top weight and lean need to be considered. Lots of factors.

Jon- i don't recall where you asked about Clint, but he is doing well. I talked to him about six weeks ago. He was cutting for a couple of companies at the time and gettin way ahead of the skidder. Hes got a new 661 he likes. Other than that we talked about swinging trees.

Nice video by the way. You just need to handle the saw now like its your ***** and you've got it!

So it's designed to swing it a complete 90 degrees? Meaning the tree should end up swung around as if the sis wheel notch was the face cut? Or does is swing it half of that distance? This all in a perfect world of course!
It's less of a 'swing' (that's what swing dutch's are for) & more of a 'hold-fast'.

Like Bob said, a way to control the chaos that is gravity pulling the tree down.

Apparently the deer hunters of the midwest think barberchair is a useful trick: http://extremedeerhabitat.com/habitat-blog/

I have seen this before. They claim they do it to keep the log off the ground so the deer has cover. Looks like a good way to get your head took off. I can see cuttling down small trees for this but some of those would make timber in the future. And great firewood.

Ideally you make you face cut in the direction you intend to fall the tree, the siz is to help the fibers on the pull side do their job.

Ultimately the face cut governs the direction of fall. The rest is manipulation of hold wood.

That being said a siz can and will pull the tree beyond where you intended it to fall, if it is holding really good, on the other hand it can come loose and fall short of planned.

A thing with the siz that may or may not help and I'm not sure this will come out right...

The vertical cut should follow the gun cut of the face, doing your best to not leave any nicks or gouges in the face of the siz, taking your time with the sloping portion and not gouging helps as well.

Any nick or gouge in the vertical portion gives it a place to break prematurely.

Latest posts

Back