Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks northy. If I ever try a "siz" it will just be for fun. It looks like a "horizontal block face". I use block faces to give the fibers more room to bend without pulling. The siz looks to give the swing a little more room to bend and not twist, which should keep it on the stump longer. How deep do you go on a "standard" (not full-face) siz?

Siz is only half a block face. You want it to lift away from the side with the thin or absent hinge, then hold on to the side with the long hinge and lots of fiber bending room. Just start with a normal Humboldt pointing where you want the tree to go and pull the siz out of the side opposite the lean. Nip the hinge hard on the heavy side. Leave the hinge fat on the siz side and otherwise do the back cut more-or-less "as normal"; when the tree sits down on your bar, it's working. It should swing down on that momentum and then around to hang on the fat side until it swings around and closes the face. It should pull long fibers out of the stump.

Siz is only half a block face. You want it to lift away from the side with the thin or absent hinge, then hold on to the side with the long hinge and lots of fiber bending room. Just start with a normal Humboldt pointing where you want the tree to go and pull the siz out of the side opposite the lean. Nip the hinge hard on the heavy side. Leave the hinge fat on the siz side and otherwise do the back cut more-or-less "as normal"; when the tree sits down on your bar, it's working. It should swing down on that momentum and then around to hang on the fat side until it swings around and closes the face. It should pull long fibers out of the stump.

...and try not to get your saw hung up. Right?

...and try not to get your saw hung up. Right?
Oh, the tragic foreshadowing.........
Just for grins.....
image.jpg Tree was leaning 120 degrees from the face, with pretty good limb weight hurting the turn

I swear I was thinking "it's gonna sit, don't pinch u'r tip, it's gonna sit, don't pinch u'r tip....DOH!"

Honestly, thank goodness for the soft Dutch, I felt it go after I pinched the tip, and around it came
image.jpg
Obligatory stump shot
image.jpg

It's really easy to have them sit on your bar tip, & you have to wait for them to roll around. Not as uncommon as you might think, & it happens quick.

Also, take note how the initial face closed and broke your siz. That can be a tool to use.

A steeper face will not close, and the siz fibers will hold a little longer. Give it a try.

Filming your stuff is an excellent training tool, because you can watch cause and effect after the fact.

It's really easy to have them sit on your bar tip, & you have to wait for them to roll around. Not as uncommon as you might think, & it happens quick.

Also, take note how the initial face closed and broke your siz. That can be a tool to use.

A steeper face will not close, and the siz fibers will hold a little longer. Give it a try.

Filming your stuff is an excellent training tool, because you can watch cause and effect after the fact.
Thanks. I've never had much luck turning hackberry, and that one turned better than most. I'll try sniping the face or "swansonning" it next time

Quit hittn yer throttle Jon when it sits down! Otherwise it gives the impression you don't know whats going on!

You better not show that black magic in the saw section. You will get burned at the stake.

It sure is fun messin with swing cuts. The way it came off the stump it looked like it went beyond the face. Throw a snipe in the butt next time. Also do you see where you bypassed the top of your fibers? You don't want that. Clean it up with the saw. Those fibers are severed there. That will cause the fibers behind it to break early too.

Reading back I see Northy covered the bypass.

Is that website a joke?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Nope its real. Some guy wanted to pay me to do that to his woods. I told him no. Guys pay big money for advice from guys like that in the video. Its crazy to me because we have so many fn deer around here its not even funny.

One of these days, someone so inclined will have two cameras - one at the tree and one in a drone hovering either directly above the tree or off to the side and above to best show the swing. That would be an interesting perspective.

Then, instead of handbags at dawn over tenths of seconds on cookies cuts, it'll be tenths of degrees.

One of these days, someone so inclined will have two cameras - one at the tree and one in a drone hovering either directly above the tree or off to the side and above to best show the swing. That would be an interesting perspective.

Then, instead of handbags at dawn over tenths of seconds on cookies cuts, it'll be tenths of degrees.
My buddy not only has trees fir me to cut, but he has a drone too.

I might try to make this happen.

Latest posts

Back