Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a case where good information lets us see our past bad information. When I was in Idaho, I was TOLD that doug fir, was "red fir". So all these years have I been mis-informed? Wonder which we were cutting?

Thanks, for the good thread, and being easy on my ignorant self.

Tarry on.

Pseudotsuga menziesii named for Archibald Menzies, a Scottish physician and rival naturalist David Douglas.

The MacKendrick got it right, mostly - scientific names are always written in italics and Douglas-fir is always written with a hyphen, to indicate its false fir status.

The tree's common name honors David Douglas, but the scientific name, as the MacKendrick noted, honors Archibald Menzies, who discovered it on Vancouver Island.

This is a case where good information lets us see our past bad information. When I was in Idaho, I was TOLD that doug fir, was "red fir". So all these years have I been mis-informed? Wonder which we were cutting?

It's fine to call it red fir in Idaho, as most everyone does. However, if you go to California, Red Fir is a true fir (Abies magnifica).

The problem with common names for plants is any two people can be talking about two totally different species using the same name (Pin Oak is a widely and incorrectly used name for a lot of oaks), which is why it helps to learn the scientific names.

Last edited:
douglas-fir, is the name of entire genus of trees that contains six species- two native to north america and four to eastern asia. Pseudotsuga which means false hemlock. the hyphen in the common name let's us know douglas-fir is not a member of the abies genus. only one is native to the west coast. and it's the state tree of orygun. :msp_wink:

Last edited:
The problem with common names for plants is any two people can be talking about two totally different species using the same name (Pin Oak is a widely and incorrectly used name for a lot of oaks), which is why it helps to learn the scientific names.

Specifically -- the reason we use Latin for scientific names is because it is a dead language and its meaning will not change through use. English? A mutant hell-bent on confusion. Example? TXTSPEAK

OK, my breaks over. Gotta go back to taking the starter out of my Ford. :mad:

Probably a day late and a dollar short... get like an 18" extension for that top bolt on yer starter and go from in front of the cross member, gives you a bit more wiggle room... I've done 3 on my diesel in the last 2 years...

Probably a day late and a dollar short... get like an 18" extension for that top bolt on yer starter and go from in front of the cross member, gives you a bit more wiggle room... I've done 3 on my diesel in the last 2 years...

I just use the 2 bottom bolts.
Took the starter in to Napa, they tested it and it was fine. So I bought a new battery put it all back together and absolutely no improvement. . .

I have no idea what to do next. It still turns over like the batteryi almost dead. .

Took the starter in to Napa, they tested it and it was fine. So I bought a new battery put it all back together and absolutely no improvement. . .

I have no idea what to do next. It still turns over like the batteryi almost dead. .
check your ground at the block..

Can they test it under load? Had the same problem with one of my three starters, worked fine on the ground wouldn't turn the engine over for squat, otherwise could be sketchy grounds... or a iffy batteries them ford die sells take allot to turn over...

Ignore the stupid "high torque" mini starters... they maybe easy to put in but don't last long...:msp_angry:

Try a new ground cable to the engine,sometimes they look ok but low resistance and will turn over slow

Can they test it under load? Had the same problem with one of my three starters, worked fine on the ground wouldn't turn the engine over for squat, otherwise could be sketchy grounds... or a iffy batteries them ford die sells take allot to turn over...

Ignore the stupid "high torque" mini starters... they maybe easy to put in but don't last long...:msp_angry:

I think mine is one of those. I don't see how a starterthats any bigger could go in there. . By the way I HATE, absolutely HATE mechanicin . . Man do I hate it. And I suck at it.

Solenoid?

It's called Red Fir by loggers because the heartwood turns red as it cures in the deck. Firs "there" are Grand, White or sub alpine if one is at higher elevations. Grand & white fir are often confused for each other.

Last edited:
Could be the solenoid. Seen the contacts inside the solenoid (on the starter) burnt/corroded before. That'll make it behave like described.

Could be one of the cables. I've seen cables have an internal break while still 'looking' fine. The strands will be broken at some point under the insulation. You can usually find the break by feel. I cut one open at a 'flexy' spot and found broken strands with corrosion at the break.

Also clean/sand the connections at each end of every cable.

Latest posts

Back