Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man, I totally missed this! The second one looks "stump jumped".
The first you set up the face, maybe bored a tiny bit thru the face. It looks like you back barred the near side, setting up you pulling wood, then released from the far side.
If I didn't have a nearly Bitzerian number of children, along with a no-nonsense wife, I would buy some ear plugs (to protect my delicate inner child from Bitz' potty mouth) and a plane ticket to Butt****, Wisconsin and spend a few days getting a ******** timber education.

You're pretty close Jon. Conventional face. Gutted the heart. Coos bay backcut. I back-barred the near side first from back to the hinge (face and near quarter of backcut all done on my knees from same side). Then got up and walked to the far side, set the tip just behind the hinge and back-barred toward the center, eventually standing directly behind the tree. Note the small plug of wood very back, center that I did not get cut in time. This tree would be bored 100 percent of the time by any timber cutter up here. It had enough top weight it was only going one way and being white oak(super splitty). I snapped a pic of this stump because it was super clean in the cuts matching on a coos bay. This cut is also why I only bore about 3 trees a year.

The second stump was a jump. I was going to post it in a thread where a guy was talking about boring 6-8" leaners. I wanted to impress the fact on him that you should be able to just snip em off. I thought that might be a little dickish tho.

Oh and we pronounce it Ass****, WI Jon!

That is a huge chunk of holding/turning wood in the last one! It must have been wanting to really go the other way to have cracked the far side like that
The tree was dead as you can tell by the punky roots. I may have had to wedge to start this one. Can't remember. I left a lot of wood for it to pull. I was saving it from falling into a creek.

Just a few recent pics.

Super clean hard maple for this size. Had to jack it to keep it off of the indian burials.
maplejack.jpg

Tryin something new.
consiz.jpg

I cut this guys tail off the day before when buckin. I knew I hit a coon cuz of the fur that pulled out of the cut and blood on the bar. Didn't get around to pickn logs up til the next day. I shook him out and he went bookin out of there. I bet his ass is still sore.
coonbutt.jpg

Different kind of quiz for Huskstihl. How many stiches?! This is from a few months ago. Its a scar already.

openedup.jpg

Just a few recent pics.

Super clean hard maple for this size. Had to jack it to keep it off of the indian burials.
View attachment 477563

Tryin something new.
View attachment 477562

I cut this guys tail off the day before when buckin. I knew I hit a coon cuz of the fur that pulled out of the cut and blood on the bar. Didn't get around to pickn logs up til the next day. I shook him out and he went bookin out of there. I bet his ass is still sore.
View attachment 477561

Different kind of quiz for Huskstihl. How many stiches?! This is from a few months ago. Its a scar already.

View attachment 477560
I could sew that with 4 "horizontal mattress" stitches with a 4-0 nylon. Something like this image.jpg

doesn't look like a saw cut
Technically was. I was bucking at chest height or so. Saw got pinched on split wood i didn't see. Tried to free it with a wedge, but realized i was going to need to cut the saw out. So in one quick motion i yanked the wedge out and pulled back dragging my elbow across the stuck chain. It cut through a cotton long sleeve and heavy flannel no problem. The doc said i was one layer away from muscle damage. It barely bled. I covered it good and put pressure on it with and old sock pulled over my arm and went back to cutting. After a few more trees my head was clearly not in it so i left for the day. Drove the 100 miles home and then got stiched up. I was super pist at myself.

A few pics of today, beautiful hardwood stand...sugar and red maple, yellow and white birch and some ash.

550xp with 18" bar is doing great...even at -25 Celsius.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    6.5 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 66
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
Had a damn cottonwood go sideways on me today. A superman dive and a hit to my pride were the immediate actions; an hour or so bucking and flipping limbs and rounds back over the property line were less immediate. I wish I'd gotten pics but I was too busy cleaning up my mess to bother. I don't like cottonwood. Short, weak, brittle fibers and heavy tops don't mix. I also don't much like bucking rounds to stand on to keep my feet out of water. Or shortening stumps for footholds. Did I mention that I was cutting on the edge of a pond? Yard jobs. I can see why arborists are so grumpy.

Had a damn cottonwood go sideways on me today. A superman dive and a hit to my pride were the immediate actions; an hour or so bucking and flipping limbs and rounds back over the property line were less immediate. I wish I'd gotten pics but I was too busy cleaning up my mess to bother. I don't like cottonwood. Short, weak, brittle fibers and heavy tops don't mix. I also don't much like bucking rounds to stand on to keep my feet out of water. Or shortening stumps for footholds. Did I mention that I was cutting on the edge of a pond? Yard jobs. I can see why arborists are so grumpy.
Did you hit any barbecue grills or picnic tables?

Did you hit any barbecue grills or picnic tables?

No, but that's only because there weren't any there. I did clobber hell out of one of the other trees I was gonna cut, a rotten piece of forked crap... which saved me the cutting. So, y'know, not a total loss.

hahaha, welcome to my world Nate. you do enough of those you'll figure out a way to swing um. i hate pickin up sticks.........

The ones before and after swung just fine! This one was just a jerk. I musta pissed in its Wheaties or something.

Latest posts

Back