Farmi vs Wallenstein 3 pt skidder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkie62

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Always wanted a Farmi 501 skidder for my tractor until now.Checked out the Wallensteins at Boonville and they have a similar clutch system and a trailer hitch that is removeable.That way I can take the trailer with me into the woods.Seems like a sweet piece of equipment and a bit cheaper since it is not coming over on the boat.Anybody hear good or bad on them ?

I bought a Wallenstein FX90 and i'm VERY happy with it,

standard.jpg

The toughest pull to date was a van down in a deep ditch in a swamp. lol It looks VERY made and so far works perfectly...

SR

Looks good .I bought a new 2500HD pickup and needed a new snowplow for it.So I used up my xtra cash .Hope to get one come summertime in time for next years cutting.

I looked around and bought a Farmi 501 a year ago and have been real happy with it. I put it on a 185 Allis-Chalmers and I needed to put the front weights back on to help hold the front down. Jeff delivered it and helped set it up and went over how to operate it. I got the pulley on the strap thing that you can hook onto another tree to help pull in difficult places that really works sweet. All your neighbors will love you.

I looked around and bought a Farmi 501 a year ago and have been real happy with it. I put it on a 185 Allis-Chalmers and I needed to put the front weights back on to help hold the front down. Jeff delivered it and helped set it up and went over how to operate it. I got the pulley on the strap thing that you can hook onto another tree to help pull in difficult places that really works sweet. All your neighbors will love you.

Farmi has a great self release snatch block, i may get one at some point?

Here's the biggest log i've skidded to date,

standard.jpg

It was frozen down, but the skidder broke it loose and pulled it right out, no problem at all.

standard.jpg

That's about as big as anything i will be skidding...

SR

I have a buddy that has the same tractor and he pulls logs at about 600-700 rpm.
What brand/model tractor does he have??

I like to keep mine up to at least 1,000 RPM's, as it pumps a lot more oil through the engine above an idle and i think that's important when the engine get's into a harder pull.

SR

Have had to crank the revs over 1000 on the larger logs or else it can stall my lil' 50 HP tractor (about 40HP at PTO).

Milkie62, have you looked at the Uniforest winches that Hud-son ( )sell? Good company to deal with and were the cheapest of the good quality winches when I was looking a while back. Mine is the 4t model, has the removable trailer hitch and has been fantastic for a few years now. No probs at all.

hud-son-uniforest-winches-02.jpg

What brand/model tractor does he have??

I like to keep mine up to at least 1,000 RPM's, as it pumps a lot more oil through the engine above an idle and i think that's important when the engine get's into a harder pull.

SR

Same as mine M6800 Kubota,loaded all 4 tires and chains on the back.

Have had to crank the revs over 1000 on the larger logs or else it can stall my lil' 50 HP tractor (about 40HP at PTO).

Milkie62, have you looked at the Uniforest winches that Hud-son ( )sell? Good company to deal with and were the cheapest of the good quality winches when I was looking a while back. Mine is the 4t model, has the removable trailer hitch and has been fantastic for a few years now. No probs at all.

hud-son-uniforest-winches-02.jpg
I looked at these at Boonville.I was just a little leary since they may have not been around as long as Farmi.And I was told the Wallenstein is almost a copy.I have heard that the Farmi clutch is very easy to repair if it every needs a clutch disc.

I have the small Wallenstein. Bought (stole) it used for $400. Have used it quite a bit with no complaints or issues.

Last edited:
That FX90 is the same one that matched up at a local dealer with my TN70, which has the same PTO hp and engine hp as your AGCO. I've been debating getting rear chains, but see that you don't run them on your tractor. Are you mostly pulling on flat non-boggy ground? Things good and frozen there? I'd really like to buy a winch, but have plenty of fence line wood to cut for this year.

That FX90 is the same one that matched up at a local dealer with my TN70, which has the same PTO hp and engine hp as your AGCO. I've been debating getting rear chains, but see that you don't run them on your tractor. Are you mostly pulling on flat non-boggy ground? Things good and frozen there? I'd really like to buy a winch, but have plenty of fence line wood to cut for this year.

Well, i don't think the HP is nearly as important as tractor "weight". Anything over 30 PTO hp will power the winch to get logs out, but IF you plan to skid them after, then tractor "weight" is what's needed to be safe and of course, for traction too.

For tires, i have "loaded" 16.6x30's on the rear and 11.2x24's on the front. They also are "radial" tires (read, "big" footprint) that are matched to my soil very well, so i just don't need chains for traction, what i have fits my needs very well...

Like my AGCO, TN's are heavier farm tractors, and i'm thinking "if" you have decent rubber on your TN and it's MFWD, it will work fairly well without chains... You can always add them later, if you really think you need them.

SR

Back