Fire

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the YMCA tune has the correct cadence for the pace. I think.....maybe not, oh well. If it does, it is hard not to do the YMCA arm movements so might not be a good thing to use.
Would he have to dress up like the guys who do that song? I just can't quite picture that.
I think the YMCA tune has the correct cadence for the pace. I think.....maybe not, oh well. If it does, it is hard not to do the YMCA arm movements so might not be a good thing to use.

Would Nate have to dress up like the guys who do that song? I just can't quite see him doing that. But, then again....:laugh:

Would he have to dress up like the guys who do that song? I just can't quite picture that.

Would Nate have to dress up like the guys who do that song? I just can't quite see him doing that. But, then again....:laugh:

I was wondering that same thing Bob.

Nate: I'd go with the Indian but with tenny runners instead of moccasins. You could still carry your water in a buffalo bladder.

I was wondering that same thing Bob.

Nate: I'd go with the Indian but with tenny runners instead of moccasins. You could still carry your water in a buffalo bladder.

How 'bout barefoot? Anybody can hike with boots on. Barefoot...that'll show 'em. We'll drive along behind with the A/C on and shout encouragement out the window.

Edit...we probably shouldn't pick on Nate too much. Every pipe in his house is frozen. One of the guys suggested that he start pooping in plastic bags but I never heard Nate's response. Might not want to, either.

I do my rt-130 March 8th. They added a 3 mile pack test this year.

I just did my refresher and all fallers now have to do the 3 mile pack test as well, they've only made us do the walk test for the past 4 to 5 years. The rumor I heard at refresher was that all equipment operators are gonna have to take the arduous pack test next year as well.

I just did my refresher and all fallers now have to do the 3 mile pack test as well, they've only made us do the walk test for the past 4 to 5 years. The rumor I heard at refresher was that all equipment operators are gonna have to take the arduous pack test next year as well.

I just did my FSTEP Hired Vendor class. I didn't hear that rumor. I heard lots of rumors but not that particular one.
If they're going to require the pack test for operators they better have a cardiac arrest trauma team standing by. Most of us are middle aged or elderly and definitely not in any kind of shape for a pack test.

I'm hearing the same -- and that's from the bossman himself. I don't mind the pack test, I just don't want to do it in arctic temps and through the snow drifts.

I just did my FSTEP Hired Vendor class. I didn't hear that rumor. I heard lots of rumors but not that particular one.
If they're going to require the pack test for operators they better have a cardiac arrest trauma team standing by. Most of us are middle aged or elderly and definitely not in any kind of shape for a pack test.

The reason we were told they require the pack for the fallers now is because a faller passed away from cardiac arrest on a fire in Washington 2 years ago. A government response to a fatality is to add more items to the checklist. So now they've added the pack test and a few more requirements. I know guys who have been on fires for the past ten years that are having to re-take their S-130/S-190 this year. So 4 days of refresher this year for them instead of one all because they didn't have any documentation.

I'll believe it when I see it for requiring the equipment operators to take the arduous pack test. I would bet over half the operator pool would disappear if they start to require the pack test for them.

The reason we were told they require the pack for the fallers now is because a faller passed away from cardiac arrest on a fire in Washington 2 years ago. A government response to a fatality is to add more items to the checklist. So now they've added the pack test and a few more requirements. I know guys who have been on fires for the past ten years that are having to re-take their S-130/S-190 this year. So 4 days of refresher this year for them instead of one all because they didn't have any documentation.

I'll believe it when I see it for requiring the equipment operators to take the arduous pack test. I would bet over half the operator pool would disappear if they start to require the pack test for them.

Good post. I can't see requiring the arduous pack test for operators either but things being what they are I wouldn't bet against it. I think you're right about losing the majority of the operator pool.
Most of the operators here are guys and gals whose physical condition already precludes any kind of strenuous activity. It's seasonal work and for some of them it's the only work they do all year. Some of the runners are locals who know every goat trail in five counties. Same with the water tenders. Lots of retirees, lots of good skilled people, lots of accumulated knowledge, but Olympic athletes they ain't. That's why they're operators.
I'd sure hate to see that resource lost because of an unnecessary requirement.

I've missed two opportunities to do my refresher this winter/spring because of work, and thus missed out on a super fun conifer woodland burn with knee-breaking slopes. But it's good to be working, even if the youngins I'm supervising are gonna give me gray hair by the time I hit 30.

I have no horse in this race, but what is a pack test going to prove for an operator? Just read an article about a basketball coach for a big east coast college team that just died of a heart attack at 26 years of age! I would venture to say he was probably in pretty damn good shape. When it's your time, it's your time.

I have no horse in this race, but what is a pack test going to prove for an operator? Just read an article about a basketball coach for a big east coast college team that just died of a heart attack at 26 years of age! I would venture to say he was probably in pretty damn good shape. When it's your time, it's your time.

The answer is. . . Standard Goobermint Procedure.

When something bad happens, over regulate it and it'll go away.

Yep, regulate the hell out of it and watch all the good experienced help disappear. Exactly why I'm not a volunteer F.F. and EMT any more after 15 years of experience.

wildfiretoday.com from 3/10/14 has an article about a 61yo ff from AZ who died taking the pack test. Same age as me.

This arduous pack test, the broader the requirement, will end up killing more folks than fire-line deaths.

Some of the old guys at my 130 class would never make it an 1/8 mile, let alone 3. But their job isn't "arduous" in the first place. . . They're cab rats not line crew.

Latest posts

Back