Firewood hauler check eng light on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihltheOne

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
My 02 f-150 check eng light came on while out cutting. Any service techs out there recommend a good scan tool? BTW my VW check eng light is on again too.

I bought one of these at Advance Auto parts: http://www.actron.com/product_category.php?id=249
I paid about $78 for it and it has come in handy a few times. The reaon I bought this is because I was sick and tired of being at the mercy of the dealorship. On these scanners, you can spend as much money as you want to for more features and options. Good luck and I hope this helps.

I've got the small Actron.......... somewhere around 35.99. It has worked well for me. My wife's Sable has a slight intermittant misfire that throws a code. I use it to erease it (shut off the C E light).

You may want too check your fuel cap. No kidding, my Buick LeSabre (traveling rig) would every so often throw up the irritating check engine light. Apparently the seal of the gas cap on the filler neck needs too be tight or you'll get this reading. (Mine would always go away after a refill). Anyways I pulled the cap and cleaned it and the neck of the filler tube with WD. Took some fine grit too remove any light corrosion/rust and since then, it's been fine. I give three good cranks through that ratcheting sound after a fill too make sure it's tight. :cheers:

I guess you don't want to hear about my 01 Jetta TDI troubles!!! :censored:
I't my last VW anyway.:clap:
I use Vag-Com and a laptop for the VW and a generic scanner ($150)for the rest.

Nope...I do want to hear about the Jetta TDI issues!

My first and only new car was an '87 VW GTI 16V. I had 236K miles on it when it finally died. I loved that car..it went through snow storms that slowed down a 4x4. I now work with a couple guys that have '09 TDIs and they love them. I must admit that if I had the $$ I would get one too.

I shouldn't even think about saying this but I wouldn't even think about parting with my 98 tdi jetta. 1 code in the 5 or so years i've owned it. replace the vacuum line in the computer case of all places and thats it. 45 - 50 mpg and I drive it like I stole it.

Now back to the topic at hand, I'd just pick up one of those inexpensive actrons. Check ebay, sometimes find them pretty cheap there. good luck

I highly recommend the Autoxray, I have had my for years, and the dealership where I used to work issued them as well. Runs in the 150 range for a decent one, but you get what you pay for.
As zodiac mentioned, a common fault code is related to the fuel cap.My Dodge Dakota throws the same fault code when the cap gets a little gummy and doenst seal off good.
If you dont want to part with the cash for a scan tool, most autozones etc will let you use theirs to get your fault code.

Last edited:
I usually disconnect the positive on the battery and turn the key once, I am sure this is not the correct method. If the problem goes away - good - if not the works starts. Good luck.

all above mentioned scanners are good for the money.

gas cap is a possibility.it will come up as evap code.

also common on fords are cylinder missfires and EGR modulator.

ive heard good thing about the auto x ray aswell. ive never used it personally. when i get a code i just use my superchips to read and clear codes. i aslo have a guage that plugs into the odb port that reads damn near everything youd ever want to know about whats going on in the engine tranny etc. the guage also clears codes.

heres a trick it very well may just be a dodge trick but you can try it on the ford. put the key in turn it on but dont engage the starter. then shut it off then do it again. you have to do it 3 or 4 times i cant remember but it does work. when your finished the truck will display the code in the vehicles mileage dispaly.

if i get a lame ass evap code i just let it be. i did that on the wifes caravan and its been gone for prolly 8 months :)

Last edited:
autozone reads it for free. Of course, they want you to buy a part there.

That happened to me once too. I just lifted the hood and saw that the engine was still there!?! Couldn't figure it out for the longest time, the light said check engine......LOL.

in NYS, you can't get an inspection done with a CHECK ENGINE light on.

i'll guess it's a CO2 sensor.

I bought one of these for $140.00 brand new on ebay last summer.

http://www.iequus.com/product_info.php?product_id=3130&category_id=1_10_7

Used it to diagnose a problem on my wife's 02 Subaru. I have also loaned it to a guy at work for use on an Accord and a neighbor with a nearly new Chrysler minivan. My brother in law is using it currently to chase down a problem on....a 2000 F150. So far it's worked on everything it's been plugged into.

in NYS, you can't get an inspection done with a CHECK ENGINE light on.

Same here. But, if you disconnect the battery for a half-hour or so, the computer loses the codes and it can take some time for them to reset. If you are close enough to the garage, you might make it before the light comes back on. I think (not sure about this) that the computer, when read after being disconnected, will say there is not enough data, so you still may fail an emissions test.

I'd bet a good bit of money that it's a P0401 EGR insufficient flow.

The DPFE sensor is probably full of water and shorted out internally.

I bet I put on several hundred of those things while I was at the F*rd dealer.

Peacock is probably right, 0501 dpfe sensor..Is the engine a 5.4? Codes p 0301-0308 for misfire code , could be a wet coil. Do Not disconnect battery, you need the history codes for diag. Do this, go to auto zone, they check for free. Buy nothing ar first, pm me with the codes, I work at ford dealer.I can get you most likely scenario, we've got a master tech I can double check with......Lanny

I have a Hi Beam light on the dash of my firewood truck does that count?
Someone had to be a a**Might as well be me, love my old rusty trucks!
Get yourself a good code reader but don't count on it 100%.

Latest posts

Back