Firewood hauler check eng light on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I borrowed my brother's code scanner because all three of our vehicles have the check engine lights on. It is an Innova 3100 scanner he picked up at the auto parts store. It's handy to know what is causing the check engine light.

On the 99 Century, it is coming up with an evap leak code, tried a new gas cap, code comes back. It's getting good fuel mileage and runs fine so I am not worrying about it for now.

On the 96 Dakota it came up with a trans temp too low code. I recall one cold morning it wouldn't shift into OD for about 10 miles but it is now shifting fine.

On the 03 Caravan it came up with a cooling fan relay circuit problem. Replaced the relay but it wouldn't clear the code. Kept coming up with error.

Scanned my buddy's 98 F150, no codes stored but light was on. Cleared the light and it stayed off. He was happy.

Scanned my other buddy's 05 Jimmy, came up engine temp too low. He got his thermostat replaced and all was well. He had assumed it was an evap code and blamed it on the gas cap. He hadn't noticed it running cool but sure noticed the difference with a new thermostat.

Just my experience with the scan tool, very easy to use.

My 02 f-150 check eng light came on while out cutting. Any service techs out there recommend a good scan tool? BTW my VW check eng light is on again too.

I see you are in wyoming, hopefully you have an autozone they scan for free. If not pick up a cheap code reader as all OBD II run a generic/universal code system.

If you pull code p1000 ignore it, it is non problem code that gernereally comes up. Post codes I can help you.

My bet is on DPFE. Stupid little silver box with a plug in and 2 vac lines. One goes to the EGR. If you find the EGR you can follow the vac line right to it. This is Fords biggest problem.

I agree w/peacock. It could be anything but most likely emissions related. A lot of people overlook O2 sensors. w/gas crunch in past people run the cheapest stuff they can find and eventually carbon builds up on everything from throttle body on back. I personally seen the I.A.C. (idle air controls) get so dirty its amazing the vehicles even run. spray can of throttle body cleaner easy fix, remove I.A.C., clean, replace.

Hey guys thanks for all the replies!! I will go down and get a actron at our local NAPA in the am. That is about all that is available around here.
I will get back with you when I get the codes.

Well I lit a fire a while ago, got to reading this, had the ash pan door open.... well, the chimney is clean now!!:jawdrop: OOPS.
MY TDI vw light is on too. I think that I can get a code out of it, but will need the vw vagger for it. I still have a really nice load of russian olive in the truck that needs to come out!! That stuff is pretty darn heavy.

If you own (or plan to own) an '04 or newer, make certain that your new toy supports "CAN" protocol. Don't get stuck with an old unit that will be worthless on newer vehicles. Don't ask why, just do it.

Trucks of your vintage have several very common faults:

Crappy DPFE sensors that cause P0401, 0402, P1400, & P1402 codes (probably a few more)
EGR ports get clogged and cause P0401 codes
PCV hose elbow (back at the firewall) cause a P0171/P0174 code combo
Misfire codes (P030X)
O2 sensors get old/lazy and cause P1131/P1151 codes
Cats get toasted and cause P0420/P0430 codes
Evaporative emissions leaks cause P0455 & P0442 codes (these and only these may be caused by an unseated gas cap)

The first three will probably account for 75% of all MILs on your truck's model.

Steve

Last edited:
hey let me know the codes i work at a ford\vw dealerships i have fixed a few fords no vws. but can give you a good code description maybe somethings to look for

engine temp too low.............

I borrowed my brother's code scanner because all three of our vehicles have the check engine lights on. It is an Innova 3100 scanner he picked up at the auto parts store. It's handy to know what is causing the check engine light.

On the 99 Century, it is coming up with an evap leak code, tried a new gas cap, code comes back. It's getting good fuel mileage and runs fine so I am not worrying about it for now.

On the 96 Dakota it came up with a trans temp too low code. I recall one cold morning it wouldn't shift into OD for about 10 miles but it is now shifting fine.

On the 03 Caravan it came up with a cooling fan relay circuit problem. Replaced the relay but it wouldn't clear the code. Kept coming up with error.

Scanned my buddy's 98 F150, no codes stored but light was on. Cleared the light and it stayed off. He was happy.

Scanned my other buddy's 05 Jimmy, came up engine temp too low. He got his thermostat replaced and all was well. He had assumed it was an evap code and blamed it on the gas cap. He hadn't noticed it running cool but sure noticed the difference with a new thermostat.

Just my experience with the scan tool, very easy to use.

could be the Coolant Temp Sensor as well.jut for future reference.T stat may not always be the fix

Back