First Post, Great Site!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatboymoe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
First, I would like to say that this forum is very informative and addicting. I have spent hours looking through the thousands of threads and have found just about every answer to my questions. The search function is indeed your friend and works very well.

Chainsaws are a new hobby for me. CAD is very real and is fun. My friends make fun of me because I have more chainsaws than trees on my property but I am the one they call for help removing trees from their properties! I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. I am no way a professional and don't pretend to be. I am just someone that likes to use his chainsaws when time allows and help my friends and relatives. Good old fashion hard work once in a while is good for me.

I just bought a new Echo CS-600p. I had a $200 gift certificate for HD and that's what I used it on. I have't used it yet, but it seems well built. I have removed the limiter caps and will adjust the carb. I live in Kalifornia where C.A.R.B. and the EPA are ruining OPE. I couldn't make myself destroy a new, $500 saw because of stupid regulations. Cats and limiter caps are not your friend.

My other saws are homeowner types. I have had a Stihl 025 for over 8 years. Very dependable, cuts well with the right chain and is light weight. Not a pro saw by any means, but works good for me. My other HO saws are a Husqvarna 137 and an 142. I bought them at Lowes on sale for $125 each. Proper chain selection goes a long way in making them decent cutters. Not much power in either one, but I didn't't expect much. They are good enough for small jobs around the house.

My project saw is a Stihl 032AVEQ. It was given to me a couple of months ago by a friend that didn't use it anymore. It even came with the Stihl case.
Compression was 155psi and I looked down the bore with a bore scope and all looks good. Pulled the muffler and had very little carbon build up. Replaced the B&C, AV mounts, sprocket and chain catcher. A good cleaning throughout and some parts replacement has it running again. It's a great, well built saw that needed some TLC.

My other project is a Homelite 330 for a friend. It has the torn intake boot that seems common to this model. I am now making a parts list to get this Homelite running again.

I am now trying to get a used Makita from HD rentals. We have plenty of HD's around here and I keep checking them on a monthly basis. I really want one to put a big bore kit on it from Bailey's. Makita 6401's look very well built from what I can tell.

Thanks again for such an informative forum.

Brian

Welcome to AS ! You got a nice outfit already for an occasional woodcutter !

once you get your hands on a bigun, you'll be hooked, that's why I only have small ones...:)

Welcome to 'AS'. Ive just joined recently myself and the information from these guys and this site have been extremely useful and informative.

Sounds like you're off to a great start. Since you appear to be open minded about your equipment selection might I introduce you to the Shindaiwa 488. It's lonely out here in Shindaiwa country.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Brian, if you start spelling the word CAD, it is already too late for you ! You've got it already and eventually will stop with the acquisition of a few 880, 3120, 090, ...

Welcome

:cheers:

Great to see you post and not just lurk around Moe. I replaced an intake boot on a 330. There are a couple of good threads on it. Also AS sponsor Edge&Engine sells the boots if you need one.:cheers:

Welcome to the site. If you think you have CAD now just go to a GTG. It gets much worse after that.

Welcome fatboymoe, I fired some Rep at ya too...yer lookin pretty good for a first post...

Keep an eye out for the So Cal GTG...looking like toward the end of May in the Los Padres Forest. Hope you can make it! There's gonna be some big saws to play with, including modded 660 and 880. CHEVYTOWN's going to bring in his ported and piped Dolmars and kitas...its going to be a lot of fun! :clap:

It kind of pains me to tell this, but I just traded a Stihl 064 with about 5hrs on it for a tree job at my house. It was a large Valley Oak that was overhanging both mine and my neighbor's house. I couldn't do it so I hired it done. When I showed the contractor the saw, he said he would take down the tree and grind the stump for the saw.

I had gotten several estiments and they all came in around 2k for the job. So I figured the trade was worth it at the time. Now, knowing what I have learned from this site, I am not so sure. I sure do miss that 064!

I do see an Echo twin someday being in my garage.

I know it is hard to part with a saw, I've parted with a few myself over the years to trade up to newer ones, but the pain goes away and is replaced by this numb feeling where a chainsaw use to be and you get over it..:cheers:.. But there is no shame in getting someone elese to remove a tree that you felt was beyond your skill level, it's better safe than sorry or worse a corpse. He cut it, took it away, and ground the stump for the saw. Sounds like a good trade.

Back