Good day for McCulloch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pics, love those old macs!
I ran my SP 81 today for a couple hours, but I have come to the point on this log where I will need a 36" bar to finish (6 foot plus thick eucaplytus log). Mark do you think my saw will pull a 36"? It seems to pull the 28" bar I have on it now quite nicely, I remember my dad saying 25 years ago it would pull a 36" but just would like others opinions before I spend the dough for a bar and 2 chains.
Heres what I'm working on:

0719090715-00.jpg

0719090858-00.jpg

Last edited:
The 7-10A is my baby...I bought this one off feabay,,and my first saw I restored....Yeah,,it's a Mac. but alot of people that havent ran a old school Mcculloch dont understand....I have a few Macs. in my stall,,but the 7-10A is my joy to run...Thanks for the pics,,and vids...... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUlVSoE0jpA

The old macs were top notch saws and right the younger guys don't realize what they missed. The pics were great, thanks:chainsaw:

It sure is nice that you could help out a neighbor and show off a few old classics at the same time. Great job.

Looks like you had a good time. I really like the sp125 and pro mac 800. I think a 81 will not have any problems with a 36" bar with skip tooth 3/8 pitch chain.

AOD, the tree guy brought four Husqvarna saws, two 335's for the high up, one handed work, one that was around 50 cc's but I don't remember the number, and the 2101. He was a little worried about his Dad's reaction to the failure of the 2101 but I assured him that if they decided to fix it I could count on some AS friends to help come up with parts.

JR, check the sprocket nose to make sure it is free, then clean and check the bar grooves to make sure there are no chips or junk caught in there to cause it to bind. It is possible that Rich just put a bar and chain together and the gauge doesn't match. Feel free to bring it down and we can look it over together if that would help.

Henry, Thomas already said it but the 81 should pull the bigger bar if you don't push it too hard. Certainly a skip chain would help in a big log like that.

The 55 was a recent e-Bay purchase; actually had been advertised as a "Super 250?". I contacted the seller and asked them to look for numbers on the bottom and discovered it was a 55. Won the auction and received the saw a few days later. Checked the spark, very strong, checked compression, honestly 180 PSI and I thought those kind of stories were made up. Put fuel in the tank, a little prime in the carburetor and it was running. I didn't even touch up the 9/16" pitch chain, just laid it into the log. The governer (air vane type) is currently disabled and I must say I was really impressed with the way this one cut.

Have a look and the spikes on the bottom of the full wrap bars. Does anyone know if these have a special name or purpose? I don't think I've ever seen any like those.

Mark

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I didn't realize that the 55 was a gear drive saw, looks like it is in great shape.

I checked the sprocket when I took the bar off to make sure that it was oiling, and it spun just fine. I was sort of wondering about the oiler though, it looks like it isn't putting the oil in the bar groove, it just puts it into a open area behind the bar and then it "leaks" onto the bar when the open area is full. It may not be the way it should. I may need to make a trek to the chain saw Mecca at Dike. It's been to long since the last trip anyway. What does your schedule look like? Are you around for a while, or off to some exotic destination. Your passport has even more stamps than mine. JR

Great Pics Mark!

If any of you have the chance to see Mark's collection, go for it!

Very neat!

Hey Mark, I could not say for sure as to the use of those spikes (other than extra leverage on really big trees) but I have seen them before. McBob has som pics of that same set up on a model 73.

JR, that sounds to me like the way they are supposed to oil. Every time you remove the bar from a McCuloch be prepared for all the oil in that pocket to leak out all over.

If you happen to have a late model bar, it might be too narrow/thin for the saw set up. McCulloch had a retro fit kit of bar spacers, may be 92020 or something like that to add a little more clearance between the saw teeth and the guide plates. There is a set on e-Bay right now, I can check the PN to verify if you need it.

I am home Monday and Tuesday evenings this week, hoping to see Bigbore on Thursday and home for Friday night/Saturday. After that it is going to get pretty hectic for a while again, out of the office next week for meetings in MSP then helping my daughter and SIL move the rest of their belongings to Iowa then off to Vietnam and Japan. I may not have 3 days at home again until September.

I am planning to make it to Boscobel on 9 August if it is at all possible just before leaving the country for Asia.

RE: The 55, all of the documents I have seen describe it as a gear drive both of mine are. I did get an S55 in a lot of 4 saws I got from a guy in Maine and that is set up as a direct drive so I am interested to get into it and see how they did it.

Mark

Last edited:
Back