Good trick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MasterBlaster said:
The whole idea was that it was a quick fix for when you've only one saw and one chain.
Not only is it a quick fix but really the only and quickest way of fixing the problem. It looks pretty greenhorn to see someone spending an hr. filing away burrs off the drivers.
Can anyone else think of other quick fixes other than the chainsaw toss?
John

When some fool punches a hole thru the gas/oil cap a piece of baggie from yur lunch sammich is a temp quick fix 'til ya get another one. ;)

It only takes a couple of minutes to scrub the burrs off the drivers down here in Indiana.  About like a 90-second tickle.  Do you just dawg it in and keep cutting because you haven't got two minutes to spare when you rock out your chain, John?

Butch, I am talking about a quick fix when you've only got one saw and one chain.  Hang the loop with one hand, reach around the cutters/sideplates with the thumb/finger of the other to lightly feel the drivers as you run your hand down the loop.  You'll find the two or three that need the burrs off (unless you're a greenhorne and tried to fookulate all of them).

Even cheap bars are too expensive to trash the grooves for no good reason.

Hey mike so you have a lot of (your words) stupid bars I guess it doesnt warrant treating them with much respect. I still think that if I derail a chain I will give it a lookover to see that it hasn't cracked a rail link through a rivet hole etc. Getting one of those stuid chains wrapped around one of your stupid hands might be a very smartening up experience! You might not then throw your chain off 40 or 50 times in a day! Lol!
This is getting just like the good old days Mike. lots of exaggeration etc. Maybe your derailed chains are made by the same company as the spark plugs that don't go bad Eh?

glens said:
It only takes a couple of minutes to scrub the burrs off the drivers down here in Indiana.  About like a 90-second tickle.  Do you just dawg it in and keep cutting because you haven't got two minutes to spare when you rock out your chain, John?

Hey Glen, I'm in the tree and my groundie is a 'tard.

Do the math. :dizzy:

This thread wasn't about not having the proper equipment for a job.  Nobody in their right mind is going to start a job with no spare chain, or even saw, if they've got a crane on site, and if the groundies can't keep themselves busy for a minute or two there are other unprofessional-type problems involved too.

Getting the saw right back into service as quickly as possible by not addressing the newly-created problem is <i>not</i> a <i>fix</i> of the problem.&nbsp; Nobody has yet said the bar would be <i>destroyed</i> by doing it one time.&nbsp; Smoking one pack of cigarettes won't destroy your lungs, either.&nbsp; Does that mean it's even close to being a good thing to do?

I didnt think the drive tangs were that soft Mike. I could probably dig up some of your other posts where you were properly advising how damage to chain or sprocket could transfer to other components. You were stressing how meticulous you were and how intolerant you were of crooked cutting chains. Your memory might be failing, but there is nothing wrong with ours. :blob5:

Gypo Logger said:
Not only is it a quick fix but really the only and quickest way of fixing the problem. It looks pretty greenhorn to see someone spending an hr. filing away burrs off the drivers.
Can anyone else think of other quick fixes other than the chainsaw toss?
John
Run over them with a skidder, right John? :)

Mike Maas said:
I'm not kidding. And a little stock 35cc saw throwing a chian isn't going to anything to my super tough hands. I try to keep the chain catcher in good shape, that slows it down a little.
Think about what some of you guys are suggesting. A little tiny burr of soft metal, is going to destroy a huge hardened steel bar. Don't you suppose the burr might just wear away after about three seconds at full throttle? :dizzy:
I have three words for you nay sayers: Git er Done!
Hey Mike, if the naysayers were correct it would be a great way to increase bar gauge from .050 to .063 in a jiffy. Sorta like a makeshift milling machine. Lol
John

What is going on here Gypo is sticking up for Masterblaster and Mike has forgiven him too for excessive sized signatures. At least when I get mad at someone I stay mad. Wish you wishy washy wimps would make up you minds!

Crofter said:
What is going on here Gypo is sticking up for Masterblaster and Mike has forgiven him too for excessive sized signatures. At least when I get mad at someone I stay mad. Wish you wishy washy wimps would make up you minds!
Hi Frank, Ole Buddy, Ole Pal. How was your day today?
John

Crofter, when you start to get old, you start to get cheap. Don't worry about the bar rails on a short cheap bar. Get the job done! Times Money! LJS

I got a couple of pretty ratty old bars and chains for brushing and times when you know you are hittin trouble in the wood. Tis true brushing is easy to knock a chain off. I have done the rub it on a log trick too to get the chain rolling again after derailing,, but it aint right and I sure wouldnt do it with a good bar.

Cheap! who? me? Just because I'd climb in and out the window to save wear and tear on the door hinges doesn't mean I'm cheap!

Crofter, in the real world of log cutting you won't make a dime if you can't slip your chain back on without bending your bar and rolling back over the tip. I've done it a thousand times without any trouble to the saw or bar. It's harder to do without gloves because of the heat, but remember loggers like pain! LOL LJS

Would you agree that any self-respecting sawer wouldn't let the chain get that loose to begin with, though?

I mean, only takes a coupla seconds to grab the scrench out of the pouch and give a quick tighty.

Gypo Logger said:
Hey Mike, if the naysayers were correct it would be a great way to increase bar gauge from .050 to .063 in a jiffy. Sorta like a makeshift milling machine. Lol
John
John, how is it that you guess a bar groove gets wallowed out down low but not at the outer edges?

Back