Good trick?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glens, I didn't know that it did wear that way, but if it does it would be over a long period of time and possibly caused by abuse such as leaning hard with a dull chain that is not cutting true.
John

Netree.... if your referring to my post, the chain is tight, but derails off the bar. Then you put it back on by hand. Can be done real fast if you know what your doing. Not easy to do for you short bar dudes! LJS

Bah. If the chain is kept tensioned proper, the only excuse for derailment is operator error.

(Or chain failure... done that a few times on the 394. Got a bad roll of Carlton awhile back. TGFC!)

ESPECIALLY on a short bar.

NeTree said:
Bah. If the chain is kept tensioned proper, the only excuse for derailment is operator error.

Your living in a tree Netree! There lots of things that will throw your chain and not be operator error. How long have you been in the woods? Have you ever used a long bar before? LJS

Gypo started another new thread about loggers who can put to good use just any old bar (long or short?) that their hands might find.

Define long... 3' plus? Yep. But, the orignal problem was in referance to a bitty old climbin' saw, not a 3120 EHP with a 5 footer running .404 skip. On dem long bars, belly comes into play, sure 'nuff.

Funny... when you think about it. The house is made of wood, so I AM living in a tree. :laugh:

No sweat, bro. I know what yer getting at.

NeTree said:
Got a bad roll of Carlton awhile back.

A bad roll of Carlton..........Hmmmmmmmm! I doubt that too! LJS

When I started in the woods in 1981 I worked on a tree spacing crew on Van Is. B.C. Sometimes chain throws were so prevalent that you could get several in just one tank which was totaly frustrating. The saw for that job was the 266 with a 16" bar.
It was a viscious cycle and can be traced back to a chain that has too many drivers among other causes such as dull chain.
John

Netree....just for you, I'll post a picture of someone puttin a chain on the quick way. LJS

Yah I'm guilty of instigating. I take the odd little jab at Gypo, MB, Mike M and others etc., insinuating that they might be guilty of some petty squabling sometimes. Even having selective recall and resorting to exaggeration! Fortunately I am completely immune to any such afflictions, so any suggestion to that effect is not retaliation but an obvious original attack. :angel:

Frank, I know what you mean.
While Mommy and Daddy ( Darin and Jennifer) were on holidays all hell broke loose with Erik as adminerator.
Ten people banned, 3 stabbings, 5 shootings and two AB blackouts, but Netree got everything in order right at the last moment just as they walked in the front door. Sorta like that Popeye cartoon.
Looking back, wasn't it a riot?
John

Netree......did you change the sheets? :Eye: :angel:

Mike Maas said:
One day not too long ago I was working a lot clearing, our brush mower sent a blade into outer space, so I was cutting through all this bramble from the outside of the bush towards the center with a little chainsaw. It was all thorney and full of vines, so I was swinging away with one hand to avoid cutting stabbed by thornes.
We all know that when you cut away at little twiggy stuff, and you're not paying attention to what exactly you're cutting, the sticks get under your chain and derail it.
That day I derailed my chain 40 or 50 times. Do you think I sat there with a stoopid file diddling away each time?

Okay who stole Mike's Identity? Mikey never one hands a chainsaw.

it's actually a really good trick, works better on Stihl rather than Husky cause the Husky will trap the chain and beat it a little more, a good sawyer will lay off the throttle as soon as its thrown, therby reducing driver damage. I've done it for 19 years. Everyone I know who cuts for a living in the brush does it and popping your chain back on by tweaking a long bar saves seconds and that is how you get wood on the ground these days, its those little things that equal 2-3 more trees on the ground each day. Maybe it does wear the bar a little more but I dont care. I stopped replacing tips on bars a while ago, and am considering if dressing bars, and closing rails is a waste of time. Still doing it but I just dont know. So maybe I'll spend 500.00 extra a year on bars, it dosnt sound that bad if I can get just a little more sleep. Thats all I want is just a few more minutes of slumber. :blob5:

I'm confused, Mike, first you say don't fix it but instead run with the problem, then you say to fix it...

Dennis, still waitin' for that picture...

(Not the one of you and John gettin' freaky, either...)

Latest posts

Back