Has anyone tried to "colortune" a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

openloop

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im not sure if they make an adapter to fit a saw, but I would think one of these would take ALL of the guesswork out of tuning your saw.

[video=youtube;6hFUvQ4gaPc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hFUvQ4gaPc[/video]

I saw that colortune in the lmc catalog...

I don't know if it'll work on a two smoke or not... given the two stoke is just an engine without the separate intake and exhaust cycles, it is possible that this would work to tune saws and such.

It's 85 bucks from lmc. Don't know about other sources.

Do any of our sponsors here offer that? Probably not... if there was one for chainsaws and such, I'm pretty sure Baileys would carry it then...

As you said, an adapter for the insanely small spark plug holes on chainsaws and trimmers would be needed... problem there is that it could block the window, and you then wouldn't be able to see the flame front as well, which could cause incorrect tuning.

It is a great contraption... I have plans to add it to my arsenal of tools at some point... be good for tuning carbureted tractor or lawn mower engines, stuff like that.

Color tune all the time.Ol' skool way.

While the saw is in the cut at WOT hit the kill switch then check plug color.For L adjust let run at idle for a couple minutes.
Most accurate way I've found.

Oh yeah I tune for a nice medium brown.

Reading the plug is in effect trying to describe how a man looks by analyzing his footprints. You can tell how big his feet are, what kind of shoes he has on, and maybe guess at his weight, but you cant describe him better than by actually LOOKING at him. The colortune plugs actually allow you to see the flame color (direct representation of A/F mixture).

But what about us folks that are half color blind?:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

My way actually lets you tune the effect that combustion is having on the chamber rather then just the color of the fire/

My way actually lets you tune the effect that combustion is having on the chamber rather then just the color of the fire/

...and the only way you will know your A/F mixture is having a negative effect on your combustion chamber is AFTER it has already happened.

Not tryin' to start a pissin' match my friend. I just don't see buying a spendy tool to do what I do without.Like buying a tach to tune with.You can't tune by rpm specs.Every saw is different and too many variables. Octane, mix ratio,muff mod,porting are just a few.

But I tune everything rich to start, then tune back from there. So theoreticly I never see lean or negative impact.

I mean dont get me wrong, plug reading is not the worst way to tune, I just doubt its the best way. Here is my humble opinion on the order of accuracy from best to worst.

1. exhaust gas analyzer (no strato engines)

2. potentially the colortune plugs

3. timed cuts/burble clearing up when in the cut

4. plug reading

5. max rpm

6. ear

Only two of those methods can accurately tell you whats going on at a given rpm.

Hi guys. New here but not really new. :smile2:

If you used the colortune with an adapter wouldn't it increase the volume of the cylinder and thereby decrease the comp ratio? It probably wouldn't make a big difference on a big engine but on something as small as a saw might it effect accuracy?

If you used the colortune with an adapter wouldn't it increase the volume of the cylinder and thereby decrease the comp ratio? It probably wouldn't make a big difference on a big engine but on something as small as a saw might it effect accuracy?

A two stroke has its A/F mixture drawn in by the upward movement of the piston. So unless that changed you wouldnt effect the amount of fuel the carb mixes with air. A compression change could reduce combustion efficiency but I dont see that having a noticeable effect on the color of the flame.

Don't know if it will affect colortunes functioning, but I do know that using plug adapters in a different 2 stroke application, rpms were off by 200. The adapter allowed for lower compression and an increase in combustion chamber volume.

...and the only way you will know your A/F mixture is having a negative effect on your combustion chamber is AFTER it has already happened.

how does the colortune tell the future? i mean if the color tells you something bad is happening doesn't that mean you missed your chance to correct it before it happened?

don't get me wrong, i like this colortune approach and all but i'm with Scooter. reading the plug has been around for a long time and used by many including racers so i trust it. plus it doesn't cost me anything to do this way.

how does the colortune tell the future? i mean if the color tells you something bad is happening doesn't that mean you missed your chance to correct it before it happened?

don't get me wrong, i like this colortune approach and all but i'm with Scooter. reading the plug has been around for a long time and used by many including racers so i trust it. plus it doesn't cost me anything to do this way.

The colortune doesnt tell the future it tells the present. It will give you an accurate measure of the A/F while the saw is running so if when you rev it up it shows a "white" flame you know its too lean. In order to tell if a saw is lean by reading a plug multiple cuts should be made under full load BEFORE you can pull it out to read it. Also a plug reading should be taken on a fresh plug or you could be seeing cumulative effects. Sparkplugs arent free, they are cheap... but if you have a lot of saws and tinker with them regularly you could wind up spending more in plugs than you would on a colortune setup.

Simply put a lean condition could be identified with the colortune and corrected after only a second or two... plug reading would mean the lean condition could be effecting the p/c for as long as it takes to make enough cuts to get an accurate plug reading (could be minutes). How long its ok for your saw to be lean is up to you.

You mention racers reading plugs. I myself used to read plugs but that was only because I didnt have a better more accurate way of telling what what happening in the cylinder. Now with wide-band O2 sensors the only real reason to read plugs is to verify something isnt drastically wrong, to check ignition timing, or too ensure an O2 reading isnt thrown off by a few rich cylinders and a few lean cylinders (which is better accomplished by checking exhaust temps).

A chainsaw (even a modern one) is a very crude and simple example of a two-cycle engine. I'm not necessarily poo-pooing this idea but with all the variables as Steve mentioned, I don't see this colortune thing being practical. When I was cutting logs, I could be at 1500 feet one day, and then be at 5000 feet the next day. With all the crap I already have to pack out to the woods, I'm not taking this piece of junk out there to see if I'm meeting some EPA standard. If it's blowing some blue smoke occasionally, I'm good to go. My (modified) saws have been lasting 2 years in a commercial log cutting scenario, and that's longer than most guys get.

Now in a real world situation with chainsaws that thing is worthless. I can see where it would have it's uses though on other motors.
A chainsaw is designed to be run at 2 speeds, WOT or idle. No where in between. I may be wrong but I've never seen a carb with a mid circuit.
As far as running lean for a few minutes? It's not gonna happen with me. My ears will pick up on it quicker then changing out a plug and installing that gadget. I do keep a little bright orange screwdriver in my pocket.

Now after watching the video and reading up on it after your first post I did order one. I have a few Harley engines kickin' around here that it maybe useful for.Since I can't quit playing with the carbs and timing and cams and so on and so on... It would be nice to see the burn thoughout the entire RPM range.

I played with one back in the '70s. I used it on a two-stroke enduro that could be run on the street. The two-stroke color has more bits of orange color than the 4-stroke engine.

Here's the problem with the device, it is difficult to see the color when there is a lot of light around. I had to go out at night and peek down under the tank to see the color of the burn. I first tried watching the color on a regular bulevard, but there were too many street lights. I then took it over near the airfield where there were no street lights - then I could see it quite well.

I went back to reading plugs.

I think a Works Connection tach is a better device for tuning. It can be attached to the saw so that it is always with you (and logs the run time). It is easy to tune WOT or in the cut, all you need to carry with you is a screwdriver.

Edit: I tried to remember what year that was and I think it was in 1972 - that's 40 years ago!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back