Help me buy a new saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UK Rich

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Right then people, I need your help...

I need to add a saw or 2 to my fleet. At the moment I'm running a 200t for the arial work, the new (to me) addition to the line up, an ms260 and then my old trusty 660 kicking about in the bigger wood.

I need something to help me bridge the gap between the 260 and 660. I dont have a great deal of readies available, so the saw(s) probably wont be brand new. I'd like a 441cm but funds dont quite allow a grand out to play with.

361 or 440? May buy a husky 560 (because I can get them here), but not sure that's a step forward, maybe sideways?

I'm open to all makes and models, as long as you can justify it.

Needs to comfortably run an 18/20" bar.

Thanks in advance. Rich.

I dont really see where you need another saw. 200 cutting limbs and blocking down the tree to 12 inches or so. The 260 to 18 or 20 inches. the 660 for the rest. We use a 200 a 346 husky and a 460. But lately we been using a 200 a 346 and a 660. Simply all trees are gone

Last edited:
I would think whatever best deal you came across. The whole free world (and not so free) love the 361, 357xp and the 440.

I dont really see where you need another saw. 200 cutting limbs and blocking down the tree to 12 inches or so. The 260 to 18 or 20 inches. the 660 for the rest. We use a 200 a 346 husky and a 460. But lately we been using a 200 a 346 and a 660. Simply all trees are gone

I'm only running a 15" bar on the 260. Was thinking about having a saw to comfortably pull a 20" bar. Think the 361 may have it.

Also, you cannot have too many saws on the truck...

I'm only running a 15" bar on the 260. Was thinking about having a saw to comfortably pull a 20" bar. Think the 361 may have it.

Also, you cannot have too many saws on the truck...

I do understand about having troublesome saws on the job. I work for a tree service part time. Oh yes the 361 will drive this size of bar good. I have two for my personal uses. I drop 20 inch plus trees with my 361. Plus they are light to work with if needed up in a tree.

Matter of fact my 361 is my most used falling saw for personal use. I feel comfortable using it to fell. After all
my life depends on it. I cut mostly 10 to 20 inch trees some bigger with them saws

I do understand about having troublesome saws on the job. I work for a tree service part time. Oh yes the 361 will drive this size of bar good. I have two for my personal uses. I drop 20 inch plus trees with my 361. Plus they are light to work with if needed up in a tree.

I run my own business, full time and just like having the right tools for the job. I used to only have the 200t and the 660. I found that fuel consumption was killing me - dismantling a tree with the big saw. Plus it got heavy after 8-10 hrs.

Thinking about a husky 562 now as well... hmmmn.

As of recent the 562 had its share of problems. It to me unproven technology. The 361 has a great track record of reliability. Some report as high as 750 face chord of wood with no problems. That my friend is extreme time in a tree.

Last edited:
Bridge the gap....MS460....

The 660 will get alot of resting time...:rock:

I used to use the 460, years ago - I liked it, but cant remember the weight? Not really sure it'll fit 'in the middle'?

Am tempted by one though.

We use the MS 460R more than all the rest of our saws. With the 460R you get the large double dogs, the over sized clutch cover, the roller chain catcher, the extended chip deflecter, the high output chain oiler and the 3/4 wrap handle for $60 more than the regular MS460, This makes for a real fine falling and bucking saw and if taken care of properly they last us for years in the big hardwood. These are true production saws that handle bars from 20 to 36 inch with no problems. They may be disipearing soon do to the new 461 coming on the market. We just purchased a few new ones to set back just in case the 461s do not prove out for our needs. Don,t think you could go wrong with a 460R.

The 361 or 362 with muffler mod and tuned correctly would be just what you are looking for to fill the gap. I never used my 361 due to the throttle response until my brother gutted the muffler. The restiction on the muffler on these saws is crazy. It's the saw you can cut all day long with. You will find yourself cutting bigger wood then what you should be but the trade off in fuel economy compared to the 660 will be worth it.

Just found me a 361 in bits. Needs reassembly - should be able to grab it for cheapness. Be nice to build one with some grunt. The MS260 is going under the knife soon, for a pop up and some porting work. The gap will be getting smaller - until I pull the 66 apart...

I'd be looking for a 70cc saw. Like a 372xp or 440. I have the same setup as you with the 260 and 660. The 372xpw I have gets used 90% of the time. I had a 361 and it worked but just not as good for felling good sized trees as the 372 is. A 440 or 441 would fit the bill just as good. IMO, the 361 will leave you wanting.

Latest posts

Back