Help me decide 440/441/460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know where a NOS 440 is/was. I can shoot you a pm if ya like.

I'm about all sawed out now, the 261 might be my last new saw purchase.:laugh: With a nice 044 and a NIB 440, I should be good. Going to look at a nice 440 this Wednesday, if the price is right, I ain't turning it down.:D Thanks though, I'll point any lookers your way.

I'm about all sawed out now, the 261 might be my last new saw purchase.:laugh: With a nice 044 and a NIB 440, I should be good. Going to look at a nice 440 this Wednesday, if the price is right, I ain't turning it down.:D Thanks though, I'll point any lookers your way.

10-4. Sounds good. Thanks.

440 is not available new, so the only choice is the 460 in my opinion.

The 441/460 would be a hard choice. Both weigh the same and make darn close to the same amount of power. I like the rubber AV on the 440/460 so I lean towards the 460. I would not sell my 044/440 for either though. Love them 440s.:bowdown:

as usual id vote for the 460 then a close second for me would be the 440 and still at the store and not ever to be bought by me unless i got a really really good deal on it is the 441. im playing with a 372xp and maybe if i get use to it i might be able to get use to a 441 but ill keep on loggin with the 460 til i get there

I vote for the MS441, super smooth and efficient, new technology! I think some of you guys still play pong on your TV for a video game!:hmm3grin2orange:

I have a 361, 460, 441, and 372xp. My 361 never sits, still use it more than any of the others. Had a 20" on it, now it has a 18" ES .... fine with either. Of the 3 bigger saws I prefer in order .... 460 - 372xp - 441. All 3 seem to be so close in cutting it's hard to tell .... but the 460 and 372 look and handle nice .... 441 ... meh ... just "ok" IMO. Still don't care for the feel of it that much. Good filtration and nice smooth operating combo switch and starts easy .... feels a tad heavier than the 460 too .... same bar ( 24" ES) and big dogs on both. Myself I like the 460 quite a bit better than either the 441 or 372xp. As for fuel use ..... not worried about it with a chainsaw. Around here the dealer price on a new 441 hasn't moved much at all in two years .... the 460 has gone up a lot. In fact the price of a new 460 has gone up way more than any other model in the line .... why is that?

I have an 044 and a 460, both with DP covers, and when running them back-to-back you can tell that the 044 is a touch lighter and more nimble, while the 460 has a bit more power. So there is a difference, but they are so close to one another I'm happy running either one--and I think you will be happy with either too.

I have not run a 441 but would sure like to try one. Maybe I need three Stihls in the 70cc class?

Olyeller

Of course you do. I think everybody needs that many. I've got to get my collection back up a little too.

I absolutely love both the 440 and 460. But I still have to say that the 441 does not get the recognition it deserves. It is an uber smooth saw, very strong and torquey, great air filtration, and easy on fuel. It responds very well to mods as well. All three of these saws are excellent choices. My favorite is still a 440 with a ported 460 topend. There's just something about that saw that does it for me. The 441 isn't that far behind it, but it's so smooth, you don't feel it's power as much.

Latest posts

Back