Help me decide 440/441/460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J. Moser

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have replaced the MS 250 with a MS 261 MM - thanks Brad.
IMG_3270.jpg

Now I have to find something to replace the MS 361 in the big end of my two saw plan. The saw will run a 20" and 28" bar in hardwood, and cut at least 5-10 cords of firewood a year. Out of the 440/441/460 only, which one would you choose and why? I have read a lot of conflicting opinions on these saws, and I am sure I will get more. But I would still like to hear what you have to say.

Last edited:
I prefer the 460 out of those three. However, I don't think any of them would be a let down. I descending order for me it would be 460, 440, 441.

They are all three proven to be phenomenal saws. Of the three, I am very partial to the 440/044's. IMHO, they are the best saw that Stihl ever rolled out of the assembly line.

But that is personal preference, and you would be suited to any of the three....HOORAY 044!!!

Being that you already have the limbing saw, why not get the most "HP for the size" big saw? I have a 260 and a dual port 460 and have been happy with them. I have cut up many 3 to 4ft dia oaks with the 460 and am happy with it. I have a 20" and a 25" bar I use on it.

I always thought the 460 was a fuel hog compared to the 440. It did have a touch more power but not enough to want to keep the 460. I've never run a 441 so no help on that part.

I like my MS460. It is almost the same weight as the others and 1/2 hp more... You can't go wrong with any of the three though...

The 441 is a fuel sipper, easy on the hands, and has excellent air filtration.

Two out of the three cannot be said for the 460 or the 440.

I would/did pick the 441.

I have also used it to pull a 32" bar, with full comp chain, in Honey Locust.
The saw performed just fine.

They are all three proven to be phenomenal saws. Of the three, I am very partial to the 440/044's. IMHO, they are the best saw that Stihl ever rolled out of the assembly line.

But that is personal preference, and you would be suited to any of the three....HOORAY 044!!!

Well said. You won't see the extra 1/2hp from the heavier 460 shine until you strap a 32" bar on them. The 440 is just a perfect combo of weight and power.:bowdown:

My 2 cents

Once you find a 72 cc saw your 361 will sit, Like most folks on this site I started out with 1 saw. I tried to find the perfect 3 saw plan and stopped when I got to ten....down to 6 now, the best 3 for me was a 026, 372, and tha 660, if I had to get down to 2 it would be the 026 & the 372,and if I had to get down to 1 it would be the 372. That saw can handle about 95% of most homeowner requirements. I'm getting close to getting back to the 2 saw plan, 2011 may be the year to move the 660, 038 mag, 036 pro and the big ole 750 Homeboy.

Life was soooo simple when I had 1 saw.

As previosly mentioned you cant go wrong with any of the 3. i have only ran a 046 and absolutely love it. people say its heavy but it doesnt bother me.

On a side note does anybody know where you can buy any NOS 440s?

I've owned a 044 and 046. For my use the 044 is the saw that I kept out of the two. IMHO it's just a lighter, more nimble saw, easy to handle as the 361 with almost the same power as the 046/460. All are good, you can't go wrong. I would find a good, clean late model 440 and be done. If your more inclined to go the 460 route you might as well buy a 660 and be done with it, there's not that much different in weight. I think the 044/440 has to be right up there as one of if not the best saw they ever made.

If you change your mind and decide to try to make some flat wood a 460 might do.

I first started milling w/ a JD CS 62 and it barely made it. A 441/460 was what I had planned on getting before I won the JD. The 460 might have been able to do what I want. Any HP less and it's dicey.

Back