Help me decide between 2 saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can't lose either way, both great saws. It'd be a no brainer for me though to go with the Echo. Bigger motor and a bit less expensive. Shop around and make sure you've narrowed it down. That's a lot of money and I'd only want to spend it once.

Having a 543xp I say Echo. 543 is for bucket work and small under 10' trees IMO. They go for $425 here now that they haven't been selling.

Now thats CAD - just wanting to buy a saw. I agree with others, if you have a running 372 the 590 wont see much work. Not sure what size bars you have for 372, but assuming you'd run a 18 or 20 on the 590 - I'd just buy a 20 inch bar and chain for the 372, plus use the remaining cash to get it ported. I was interested in the 543 when it was first announced - but IIRC it wasn't autotune and it didn't seem like a whole lot of weight savings over a 550 or 545.

What are you intending to do with the saw?

According to your signature you have a 372xp and a 55....So now you need a limbING saw no?

So why did you pick these 2 out? Ie....why is it 543 vs 590? As opposed to say a 555 vs a 590?

Cost mainly. My 55 is down at the moment ( that's a whole other thread) and was looking for a smaller saw to kind of replace it with. Intended purpose is limbing and cutting up smaller trees that aren't worthy of fireing up the 372.
I've had good service out of my Husqvarna saws and am trying to go to a 3 saw plan with the 372 being the middle saw.

The saws are not comparable, they simply are too far apart in size for any valid advice - except that you must decide what you need.....

I doubt you really have any use for that Echo, if you already have a 372xp and 590.

The cc between them isn't as big of a issue for me as cost and longevity are . It is really a replacement saw for the 55 . Now I know the 543 is smaller but with the plan of going to 3 saws I'm not to worried as it would be the smallest saw in the line up.

Also I don't already have a 590.

Now thats CAD - just wanting to buy a saw. I agree with others, if you have a running 372 the 590 wont see much work. Not sure what size bars you have for 372, but assuming you'd run a 18 or 20 on the 590 - I'd just buy a 20 inch bar and chain for the 372, plus use the remaining cash to get it ported. I was interested in the 543 when it was first announced - but IIRC it wasn't autotune and it didn't seem like a whole lot of weight savings over a 550 or 545.

Sorry. What's CAD? I have a 16" on the 55 and a 20" on the 372.
This future saw we speak of is going to replace the 55 and I am going to send the 372 to get a little work done also.

I'm scared of auto-tune. I can adjust and rebuild a carb at home and dont have a close enough dealer to make it no big deal to run it to one of them every time it has a issue or pay for diagnostic services. Maybe I could be convinced otherwise.

Also I don't already have a 590.

I meant to say that you already had a 372 and a 55 - messed the post up. ;)

Now I understand that what you want is a replacement for the 55 - and then the 50cc 545 makes more sense than the 43cc 543xp. The 590 is too large and heavy in that setting, not a lot lighter than the 372 really (but much weaker).

Now I understand that what you want is a replacement for the 55 - and then the 50cc 545 makes more sense than the 43cc 543xp. The 590 is too large and heavy in that setting, not a lot lighter than the 372 really (but much weaker).

Well ok. The thing is if durability is close say between the 545 and 590 , I would rather spend a $100 less have 10 more ccs and just deal with the 2 pound difference.
Are the two saws comparable in hr life ?

I purchased my Echo new in 1987, I still use it to this day ........already on its second set of rings, and now ported................ so long as you feed it a good diet of 2 cycle, keep the chain sharp, and keep it tuned, it will last you a lifetime.

Hey fellas, Husqvarna 543xp ( on sale for 475). or Echo 590 for $420 ?

A 50cc saw that you haven't mentioned is the Echo CS-500. I had the opportunity to use one recently. As you can see from my sig, I have a CS-450 which I think is a great limbing saw. The powerhead weighs about 11#. I run an 18" bar with .325 chain. With the benefit of hindsight I *WISH* I had purchased the CS-500 instead. 5cc bigger and weighs a half pound less--owing to its magnesium clutch cover--and slightly more fuel capacity. The CS-500 also is set up for .325 chain. Easy for a 50cc saw to pull a 20" bar using .325 chain.

In all fairness to my CS-450, I bought it lightly used (like once) for $250. But had I been buying new, that CS-500 would have been a contender.

CAD is Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder - without knowing your situation and the disparity in the saw choices- I was just thinking you wanted to buy a saw regardless of application. I try to fight off CAD every year at this time. The Echo 590 intrigues me for the price point, I've read good things about it.

@Mountaineer51 ,

from your above description/requirements, I would definately include a Dolmar 421! Pricewise (~330$) definately to your liking but more powerful than the echo 400 and built like a pro saw! Powerwise it behaves like one size up! I sold my 50cc saw because it is that good!

My two cents worth? Why don't you pick up a used good running 55? They can be had for around $200 give or take $50 and can also be tweaked a bit for enhanced performance. The bar and chain you have on yours will of course fit and having two of the same model saw can be great for troubleshooting issues. You're already familiar with it and should one them die a violent death, you have a source of parts for the remaining one. Just a thought. And you can still buy another saw if you feel the need.

I don't have one available (they're in boxes of parts, lol) but I bet someone here does.

I own a like new cond. 600p echo. I bought new about 3yrs. Ago. 24" bar. Has cut a lot of wood. This yr. Just bought new 545 husq. I know not exact. 543. But like the others said. If you have 372 don't buy the 590. I'm a huge husq. Fan now. Love the auto tune so far. I'm seriously considering replacing the 600p with a husq. Good luck enjoy ur cad.

Back