Help Me Mr. Wizards

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"You know how I know you're a GOL fella? You wear a helmet and not a tin hat. And put that damn nancy boy hammer down and get a faller's axe!"

It is my saw stuff bag. It's in the pickup. Don't know that I'll wear it, but it has nice compartments. There were some loggers that used their Aunt's old purses, yes real purses, for tool bags here.

Hmmmmm. The weather report is for rainy and breezy. Not good for starting at 9AM.

I should have sent you a 5 cube McCulloch, then there would have real chainsaw noise there.
No rain here, we did pick-up about 3/4" Saturday night and Sunday. The Pacific has been churning for the last three days, the swell is coming from the WNW, pretty much a direct hit, it is loud and tearing chunks off the coastline. Sunny today, got lots of chrome to polish, Annie repainted the grill.

I sure hope that slowp is able to give a mid-course update. That is if she's not too busy replacing the sprocket nose on her bar from all of that boring.

I have been reading this thread with great intrest.

I should have sent you a 5 cube McCulloch, then there would have real chainsaw noise there.
No rain here, we did pick-up about 3/4" Saturday night and Sunday. The Pacific has been churning for the last three days, the swell is coming from the WNW, pretty much a direct hit, it is loud and tearing chunks off the coastline. Sunny today, got lots of chrome to polish, Annie repainted the grill.

3/4 seems to be the number, we got the same here, same on the Winchuck, same up behind waleshead as well.

I'm back. There was no brainwashing, there was no boring is the only way, there was a lot of orange hardcaps with face screens and ear muffs. There was a logger there with a tin hat and bugz and I had my tin hat and bugz and the instructor said that tin hats were actually the best protection if you didn't have to worry about powerlines and electrical stuff.

I do think there were too many people for the class. There were 14 people. We each cut down one tree, and "planned" the falling for another person to do. It was hard for me to trust a complete stranger. In fact, I was planning my "escape" route as non faller (my job was telling my partner to stop cutting before he cut the hinge off) and it was to be throwing myself backwards into a blackberry thicket. The guy was successful and the tree swung around and did what it was supposed to do.

My tree, about a 12 inch Doug, sat back. I was told to do something different--put in the face cut, bore in and cut to the hinge width, then cut straight back on through. My tree sat back. I threw the Barbie saw down and started to sprint away, but the tree was held by the hinge. The instructor pounded a wedge in and over it went, in the right direction even. I can still sprint, if I have to. No leg muscles were torn this time. :clap:

Most of the class was pretty new to chainsaw use. There were girls and guys. Most brought little saws. The logger had a 660? today. Dolmar sponsors the session. So, the instructor, who was a logger in Wisconsin prior to doing this, only has to fly in and the saws and saw kit are provided, as is a brand new Dolmar orange jacket.

I took a video of him cutting down a large oak. I'll download it eventually.

Home furniture always feels nice and soft after a stay in a Motel 6.

What was the class time versus outside felling time split ?
Was the cost a good value ?

(did ya get a GOL card or something saying passed ?)

good your back in one piece. :)

I think we spent about 2 or 3 hours standing around a tailgate or near/sometimes inside a garage. The sky let loose bigtime this morning, so we had the saw maintenance part then. That is usually the first part of the course, but yesterday's forecast was for increasing wind and rain so he hurried us out to the woods. The storm held off so we went all day. It was go pick out a tree, clear an escape route, then we watched each tree get cut and looked at the stump and stuff.

I learned a lot of stuff.

We tried to teach the instructor to pronounce Oregon the correct way.

Ms. slowp, no disrespect meant, hope none is taken, but I have to ask.

Did you harvest any of the before mentioned blackberries for pie or ice cream usage?

Another question, is the wood used for something, other than teaching, or just left for firewood?

Last edited:
The vines were berryless.

I believe the trees, except the cottonwoods, will go out on trucks. They will need to add some more to make a load or two or more. The logger, who had a tape, bucked up some of the trees to the desired lengths. I limbed one up...making sure to get the knots flat.

I'm a slow knot bumper. No hat. I got a Dolmar carabiner, key chain thingy. He did not even put in a plug for the GOL hats.

A guy there used the term Poking, for instead of plunge cut, or boring. The new term stuck. The Poke Cut.

SlowP, I'm glad it turned out to be a good expirament or experience all in all. Hopefully this won't be used to diffuse some of the controversy.

Dolmar, eh? It was so Husky before.

Yup. Dolmar. I do not know of any Dolmar dealers out here.

Should I post on the Chainsaw thread that one of the students was extremely pregnant? :msp_smile:

Oh, and the instructor also said that the plunge cut was another method and one should have as many methods as there are, because things are always changing.

Everytime I thought, how come he isn't mentioning this, like leave trees having tops break and thrown back, he seemed to read my mind and that was mentioned.

Maybe the two day expert graduates just knew everything before they went? I saw nobody with that attitude and even the logger said he liked to keep up to date and learn new stuff. He ran a specialty business and runs a processor out in the woods. He cuts the big stuff by hand though, and kind of got thrown into doing that.

The neat thing, which you guys probably know another way of doing, was that you can control the speed of the tree by the heighth that you cut the back strap off. I'll have to experiment with that, if I decide to thin the Christmas tree patch.

I'm a slow knot bumper. No hat. I got a Dolmar carabiner, key chain thingy. He did not even put in a plug for the GOL hats.

A guy there used the term Poking, for instead of plunge cut, or boring. The new term stuck. The Poke Cut.

bumping and poking... so it's a game after all.

Patty I am glad everything went well in your GOL class. Yep, glad for you. Personally though I was hoping for some big blown up controversy the ended with you throwing your Mac-T like Oddjob and taking out the instructor. I had already made up my mind about GOL. I hate it when facts get in the way of a good fantasy.

More terminology. So, the Poke Cut = Plunge Cut = Boring Cut ? Or are there subtle differences of meaning between them ?

Was the Doug fir that sat back a useful demonstation of how that back boring cut straight through can go bad in a back leaner (trying to understand why the instructor didn't cut to a release strap, set a couple of wedges and then cut the strap from the outside) ? Maybe i'm missing some stuff.

Back