Hey BobL (or anyone really lol)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly3995

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the process of cutting pieces for a 30 inch alaskan. Before I cut the spreaders
tell me what width between parallels seems to work out best in your opinion?

I'm also open to any other ideas you guys want to float past...

Thanks

Alaskans are about 12" outside. I'd kinda like mine to be maybe 16" and able to cut deeper so I could split larger logs. But I've not tried this and it might get too big to handle. A 36 Alaskan and a big saw with a 42" bar is about the limit for one person to handle. This person anyway.

There is no disadvantage to having your parallels farther appart other then it being a bit more bulky to store. More important to the spacing on the parralles is the spacing on the spreaders. On the granberg they are adjustable. Some people see the bolt together aspect of a granberg as a weekens,s but the truth is that it is one of its biggest strengths. because the spreaders are adjustable you can move the spreaders in closer to the power head when milling narrow boards to make the mill more stable when starting a cut. then when milling a wide board the spreaders can be moved back towards the true center for better stability. I use wing nuts on my mill for the spreaders to make it easy to adjust on the fly.

imagine what I am saying in extreames. imagine if you have a streacher on each end and one in the middle of your 30" mill, a common configuration, when starting a cut on a 12" wide board you will make contact with the leading edge (the front parrallel) and the spreader closest to the power head and that is all. The only time the center spreader is in the middle of the slab as you start a cut is when you are maxing out the capcity of the mill. If you make the center spreader adjustable it can always be centered in the slab when starting a cut for better stability.

I mill with an 075 and a 42: bar so the ballance and stability is probably a bit more of an issue than with a shorter rig.

My Small alaskan for up to a 25" bar is 12" front to back.
BIL mill is 16", and the B3M is 18", both can handle up to a 60" bar.

Some of Railomatic's mills are 24" front to back.

Last edited:
Duly noted, thanks gentlemen I'll probably go with 12 ish inches...

Oh and the reason that I asked Bob specifically, is that I knew if anyone had given it way too much thought... it was Bob...Thanks again

Back