Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one of those good/bad days today. Drug out a C-7 Ive been gathering parts for. New rings, carb rebuild, new bar and chain, points, condenser plug wire and boot, plug etc. Didnt take to long and she finally fired. I threw a bar and chain on it made a few cuts on what little wood I had laying around. Runs like a champ!

What the heck Ill make a day of it. I drug a C-51 Ive had all the parts to for awhile out. I had three jug and pistons in a box and grabbed the best looking one. I cleaned it up, honed it and threw new rings on the piston. Went together quickly and she fired right up. Ok I will throw the muffler, bar and chain and she how she does.

Finally found the hic up of the day. I never thought of looking at the two bolt holes for the muffler. Both are completely stripped out. Ill make the decision tomorrow if Im going to yank the head or heli coil it. Im cutting Tuesday and I sure would like to run it. Anyone ever tried self tappers on the heads?

Anyway it was good to get two old timers going again.

That number 63994 crosses over to a C-72 saw, sir. :givebeer:

Yep I can see that it's a non auto-oiler case (that'd be easier to see from the other side.........but there still are things to look for on this side). That's a late part number. There were several revisions for that part. Some used a different oil pickup and other small bits. Footnotes are in some of the IPL's.

With the right oil pickup bits, that cover would work on C-7/71/72, XP1000, or XP1020. If a fellow didn't care about the color then they could also run it on a C-5/51/52.

Yep I can see that it's a non auto-oiler case (that'd be easier to see from the other side.........but there still are things to look for on this side). That's a late part number. There were several revisions for that part. Some used a different oil pickup and other small bits. Footnotes are in some of the IPL's.

With the right oil pickup bits, that cover would work on C-7/71/72, XP1000, or XP1020. If a fellow didn't care about the color then they could also run it on a C-5/51/52.

Good to have some smart fellers around here. :bowdown: Wish you lived a little closer.

I have a few of these and was wondering why the guy had these stocked up. Like maybe they were prone to fail or like a bunch of my 2100's they get eaten by chain rash or the bottom bar mount breaks out of the case.

Very interesting Ric. Now that you've added a pic of the other side of that drivecase (in your earlier post), I can see that it's actually the same casting as what's used on the auto-oiler parts, but with a few machining operations omitted. The area where the two ports from the auto-oiler pump draw and discharge is there, but not machined. That's different than the earlier C-Series and non auto oiler XP-series drivecases, which are a different casting. That has to be a very late production C-72 drivecase. The C-72 was made until 1986 or so (along with the Super 1130G and Super 1050). Long after the other C-series saws had been discontinued.

hi,im new to the forum.ive had acouple homelite chainsaws,always manual oilers and always had the manuals.i just got a small homelite xl model # ut10655 to use on my woods buggy to cut down trees out of the trails.i got it for $50 from the flea market,it starts right up and runs great.its a auto oiler,and sitting in my garage it was leaking oil.so i took it apart to clean out the oil passages and cked the tank for leaks.i pulled off the oil pump and the diafram doesent look very good so im gonna order one.my question is that when i went to order the diafram(which is rubber all the way to the mounting surface)the two gaskets for it are discontinued.i know whenever ive rebuit carbs for cars and such,usually the diafram acts as the gasket also.do you guys think this is the case maybe why the gaskets are discontinued?
also anyone have a operator or repair manual for this saw?
the parts i am referancing are # 5 and #6 in the parts list link below:

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/homelite/7452/1812

hi,im new to the forum.ive had acouple homelite chainsaws,always manual oilers and always had the manuals.i just got a small homelite xl model # ut10655 to use on my woods buggy to cut down trees out of the trails.i got it for $50 from the flea market,it starts right up and runs great.its a auto oiler,and sitting in my garage it was leaking oil.so i took it apart to clean out the oil passages and cked the tank for leaks.i pulled off the oil pump and the diafram doesent look very good so im gonna order one.my question is that when i went to order the diafram(which is rubber all the way to the mounting surface)the two gaskets for it are discontinued.i know whenever ive rebuit carbs for cars and such,usually the diafram acts as the gasket also.do you guys think this is the case maybe why the gaskets are discontinued?also anyone have a operator or repair manual for this saw?

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Jacks-Parts-Lookup/Model-Diagram/homelite/7452/1812

hi,im new to the forum.ive had acouple homelite chainsaws,always manual oilers and always had the manuals.i just got a small homelite xl model # ut10655 to use on my woods buggy to cut down trees out of the trails.i got it for $50 from the flea market,it starts right up and runs great.its a auto oiler,and sitting in my garage it was leaking oil.so i took it apart to clean out the oil passages and cked the tank for leaks.i pulled off the oil pump and the diafram doesent look very good so im gonna order one.my question is that when i went to order the diafram(which is rubber all the way to the mounting surface)the two gaskets for it are discontinued.i know whenever ive rebuit carbs for cars and such,usually the diafram acts as the gasket also.do you guys think this is the case maybe why the gaskets are discontinued?also anyone have a operator or repair manual for this saw?

Check your inbox at the very top of the page, right hand side,. I sent you a link to a shop manual.

B superceded A and was some change by Homelite and they would be interchangeable. If you are buying these seals consider getting brand new ones that are the same size instead of the NOS Homelite seals. SKF 6119 or National 253747. If the NOS ones have been stored poorly they may be done already.
EE

I agree with using new seals appreciate the cross reference.

I am going to replace both seals and the clutch side is listed as 56256A. Does SKF or NAT offer a replacement on that one?

I ordered the national 253747. There are some NOS 56256s on sleezebay that I may have to gamble on. I just hate having it apart and not replacing both.

For years my XL-2 lived on top of his own old tee shirt in the garage. That was until I later read a post by Aaron pointing out the need to 'burp' my little baby saw.

Others needing burbping after use are Remingtons, Lombards and Craftsman/Ropers.

Do you have the old seals out?

Ive got the case split. just have to pop em out. I guess I could mic the crank, and old seal and start searching. My reflectance to do that is Im not sure on the I.D. Example, if a crank measures 1" how much smaller is the I.D. of the seal for a proper seal, follow me?

Ive got the case split. just have to pop em out. I guess I could mic the crank, and old seal and start searching. My reflectance to do that is Im not sure on the I.D. Example, if a crank measures 1" how much smaller is the I.D. of the seal for a proper seal, follow me?

If forced into it, I'd set my dial caliper at the shaft dimeter and try the seal over the 'nibs'. .005" interfearence fit would be ball park good.

While we are on baby saws: What is the part number for a 1/4" pitch sprocket/drum for an XL/XL-2?

Seems I have a couple 1/4" NOS 12" sprocket nose bars and a loop of 1/4" chain from a Remy I could shorten.

A69327 is the Homelite # for the 1/4-9 drum. I'll bet Joyce has one of 'em. I don't have the aftermarket #'s for that drum at the moment.

Latest posts

Back