Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20161030_133847.jpg

This is one that I finished putting together a couple weeks ago. Still need some better photos of it with the bar and chain. It seemed to be a mish-mash of parts from a 5-20 and 7-21, and its missing the ID tag unfortunately. It is also missing the starter cover, which is normal I gather. Also no decals, as they would have cost more than I had into the saw and paint....

Homelite Sawdust (a newsletter that was sent to Homelite dealers) is now available for Homelite enthusiasts. these came from the Chainsawlady. The issues starts at No.3 Dec 1952 and ends at Nov-Dec 1970. There are 798 pages total, a lot of Homelite history here. Files can be downloaded here http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/homelite-literature--information.html Click on the Sawdust tab!!!

There are only a couple of issues missing, No.1 (I assume Oct 1952) and No.2 (I assume Nov 1952), No.16 Jan 1954 and No.61 Dec 1957. I have a copy of Jan 1954 but it is on the funky copy paper they used during that time (almost like brown cray paper). It is hardly even readable in my hands, and so far I have been unable to get a readable scan from it. If anyone knows a source of these issues (originals, digital copies even pics from a smart phone would work) please let me (or Leon) know and I can add them to the collection.

Read more: http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/5303/homelite-sawdust-newsletter#ixzz4TV48CvlJ

Homelite Sawdust (a newsletter that was sent to Homelite dealers) is now available for Homelite enthusiasts. these came from the Chainsawlady. The issues starts at No.3 Dec 1952 and ends at Nov-Dec 1970. There are 798 pages total, a lot of Homelite history here. Files can be downloaded here http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/homelite-literature--information.html Click on the Sawdust tab!!!

There are only a couple of issues missing, No.1 (I assume Oct 1952) and No.2 (I assume Nov 1952), No.16 Jan 1954 and No.61 Dec 1957. I have a copy of Jan 1954 but it is on the funky copy paper they used during that time (almost like brown cray paper). It is hardly even readable in my hands, and so far I have been unable to get a readable scan from it. If anyone knows a source of these issues (originals, digital copies even pics from a smart phone would work) please let me (or Leon) know and I can add them to the collection.

Read more: http://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/5303/homelite-sawdust-newsletter#ixzz4TV48CvlJ
This is really good stuff, I have read the first few pages and chainsawlady, onlyhomelites and undee70ss are to be congratulated for putting it up where it will be safe and we all can enjoy. :)

I ended up tearing down the super xl-130 I've been fitting up that husky coil with. I skipped the pressure and vac test on the first round. Found out about 2 cuts into a test run it was leaning out at WOT. Should have been more diligent. Even with the low hours on the machine. Funky base gasket. The failed Prestolite likely saved it from an early death had the PO been able to run it much longer. Fortunately, the piston and cylinder are fine. Rings look new. It gave me a reason to hook a hose up to my hot water tank and wash down a couple of saws outside. The threaded insert worked well. I had to tap a decent sized hole but there appears to be enough material left.

Homelite Super XL-130 Rebuild 1.jpg Homelite Super XL-130 Rebuild 2.jpg Homelite Super XL-130 Rebuild 3.jpg Homelite Super XL-130 Rebuild 4.jpg

I ended up tearing down the super xl-130 I've been fitting up that husky coil with. I skipped the pressure and vac test on the first round. Found out about 2 cuts into a test run it was leaning out at WOT. Should have been more diligent. Even with the low hours on the machine. Funky base gasket. The failed Prestolite likely saved it from an early death had the PO been able to run it much longer. Fortunately, the piston and cylinder are fine. Rings look new. It gave me a reason to hook a hose up to my hot water tank and wash down a couple of saws outside. The threaded insert worked well. I had to tap a decent sized hole but there appears to be enough material left.

View attachment 545356 View attachment 545357 View attachment 545358 View attachment 545359

Nice job Cory. I have one XL-76 with a black air filter cover. Not sure which one it came off. I'm guessing it was on my beater firewood 76.
Have you come across any?

Homelite went from three screws to five on the 'magneto backplate' because they backed out.
f19263c570a5ec9eea9c236153fd8bed.jpg

Blue Locktite is also a good idea on them.

Awesome! Thank you.:clap: What a perfect Christmas gift. These articles are a holy grail for Homelite history. I'd started a timeline of different models and this answers a ton of questions.
Merry Christmas,
Dan

Nice job Cory. I have one XL-76 with a black air filter cover. Not sure which one it came off. I'm guessing it was on my beater firewood 76.
Have you come across any?

Interestingly, this XL-130 came with a red cover and I have one XL-76 that came with a black one. I swapped around. I've a couple more 130's to get to. One is early points and a different paint scheme. They all have full -wrap, black covers and the 3" clutches. Maybe the "super" part? I've had two of the feeble, S-shaped 2-5/8" (?) clutches bust on my 76's.

I bumped the timing up a tad to compensate for the gasket deletion. It is running 32 degrees now. It'll let you know if you don't pull really quick.

I think I will keep plugging away on these for a bit now. I have a bunch of other saws to work on, but these are too much fun to run.

Thanks. I have 76's with the "S" clutch, three shoe and six shoe like the one on the 130 in your pics. I can't tell any difference in performance when running them.
Lots of mix and match on the Canadian Terry saws, much like the Skil assembled Canadian Poulans. I never bothered to look for a 130 as they are basically the same saw as far as I can tell and the re-sale on the 76's is much higher here for some strange reason.

Have a XL-12 (red) 100803ut 482070053ser with busted crank and no clutch parts. Anyone tell me what crank, should I get a case and crank? Or anything else. Thanks ,Dave

Check out Leon's Chainsaw Parts and Repair site: http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/uploads/3/9/7/9/39792537/306-321_1966_.pdf

This memo lists a lot of crankcase and crank numbers for various XL-12 and similar saws. Might be what you need. He also has many IPLs posted or may have some suggestions if you message him. Chainsawlady is also a terrific source for parts and information.

OK, my own problem related to that service memo:

I have a Homelite XL-500 that I have owned since it was new. It is in good shape except for a hot running problem that I believe is in the ignition somewhere. I purchased the parts to convert it to electronic although I have not completed that conversion yet. I saw in the 1966 service memo, #306 dated 3/31/66, that parts were then available to switch to the stronger 31 roller rod and crank and all the part numbers needed were listed. My plan became changing the case and crank to the revised version if the parts ever could be found.

With the ignition off my saw I can see the part number on the case, 58410-C. Since this saw has a longer stroke than any of the other XL's, the case needs more room to swing the rod big end. The service memo lists PN A-59801-B which is superseded by A-59801-C for the big rod. As you can see, these do not match what is in the saw. Other numbers are listed for the other shorter stroke saws.

I checked two other parts saws I have, both SXLAO's, one has 58410-C and the other 58401-E. Both of those saws have the shorter stroke of the standard SXLAO so I am confused about what is going on.

I have been unable to find the 58410 number anywhere, the IPL I have for the XL500 lists the 59801-B as original equipment. Since I have owned this saw from new, I know it has never been in a shop for a repair of any sort.

Can anyone shed some light on this part number issue?
Thanks,
Dan

I found a 150 Automatic for sale but I passed because I have no knowledge about them. It 's at a flea market so I couldn't talk to the seller so I don't know if it runs. It's in average condition. Does it have any value?

Latest posts

Back