Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I bet man if you happen to run across another 76 let me know I really like that saw there's a couple on ebay a little high on the price

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fellow local to me came up with this:
6720037496c68160b2ae03739f2ec337.jpg

Fueled and fired at the dealer and then put up in its case and never used.

Someone bought it on sale, 'was $339 now $179.'

XL-76/130

My personal favorite to run against anything named Wood Boss. Helps to get the sucker feeling sorry for you to start with. For the sub 60cc saw they have a lot going for them. Compression, torque, low profile, ergonomics. They are convincing cutters and are relatively smooth. When set up well, they start, throttle and pull fantastically. Even with pistons that look like they've seen a bastard file. I know they can pull a 24" full house in the Douglas Fir around here. I would not be surprised if they could pull a 28" skip. I have been meaning to put a 0.325" 8 pin on one. See how it does with a loop of LPX on an 18" bar.

I have had 2 of the 68362 clutches go on me as well. IMO, they shouldn't have transitioned to the same clutch as on the smaller series. Aside from slightly more "meat" at the crank thread, the holding material where the two shoes are is the same. Not up to the significantly more torque of the bigger machines. IPL for the xl-76 calls for the 68362-5 clutch.

When people see my Homelite collection they just shake their head and say, "What ever happened to that company?" Years ago I heard that John Deere bought out the commercial saw division, then sold it. Then I heard a private citizen with a lot of money bought it, then didn't have any left to go into production. The owner of an old small engine shop told me that stuff many years ago. When My Dad retired in 1986 we were still using Homelite saws. I got out of the family business, and pretty much away from any saw purchases. I picked up a nice 7-29 at an auction, still had Dad's 2 Super 1050's, a couple 900 series XL's, A WiZ and a Zip, about 10 XL12's, and a few little saws. So, does anyone really know the down fall of the company? How did we wind up where we are with a Japanese owned homeowner grade saw? What's the real story? Joe.

I don't know the answer to that question I can only add to it like you that's all my dad ran homelite chainsaw the best and fastest to date is the old xl123 he built from junk someone else didn't want it became legend after it out cut every mcculloch my uncles had new we cut sawmill logs and firewood most of my childhood and teenage years that old homelite out performed them all and it was put together in our kitchen my old man had alot of good times talking about that old thing someone stole it after it finally blew up many years later I bought a 330 to replace it we had it warranties 4 tomes in the first 6 months nowadays between dad and I we probably have close to 35 maybe 40 saws huskys and old homelites wouldn't dream of buying another plastic homelite from today I've got saws in my collection 1 owner saws from the 50 s never been gone thru first pull running on most where did the good saws go

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

A friend gave me a Supper 77 wiz, 95 cc's with a 42 inch bar and someone stole it. Probably a local crack head that got $3 for it at the scrap yard. I called all the pawn shops and they said the first thing they make them do is start it. I had the fuel lines off so I know it didn't start, Joe.

So, does anyone really know the down fall of the company? How did we wind up where we are with a Japanese owned homeowner grade saw? What's the real story? Joe.
Just guessing, but they couldn't keep up with their competitors. In the 50's and early 60's Homelite's were THE saw to have. By the mid 80's, they can't even design a saw from the ground up and had to have someone else do it for them (Solo). In the 90's they let big box stores carry their saws and left the pro saw market. They were sold to a foreign company in 2002.

Yeah I get the "why" it all happened. I kind of wanted to know "who". I did a search of the History of Homelite and found a thread on HOH that gave what years the sell off's took place. I guess that's enough, Joe.

Back