Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Super 2 is liked by some. Around 30cc. Not a world beater in the power dept. but very light.

The Super XL is likely one of the most popular saws of all times. Manual and auto oilers, 58cc. Pretty good power and very reliable once fixed up. Weak spot is the blue Prestolite coil. I would certainly fix up the Super XL if the piston and cylinder are in good shape.
I can provide you with a pdf repair manual if you want one.

I don't find the Super 2's hard to work on but some guys hate them. The Super XL is much easier to work on than the 10 series mac's

The Super 2 is liked by some. Around 30cc. Not a world beater in the power dept. but very light.

The Super XL is likely one of the most popular saws of all times. Manual and auto oilers, 58cc. Pretty good power and very reliable once fixed up. Weak spot is the blue Prestolite coil. I would certainly fix up the Super XL if the piston and cylinder are in good shape.
I can provide you with a pdf repair manual if you want one.

I don't find the Super 2's hard to work on but some guys hate them. The Super XL is much easier to work on than the 10 series mac's
Ah seen my profile pic. Ya I'm going to work on the xl and part out the other

Looking for solutions or suggestions on how to proceed with an early XL12 with the wick style fuel filter in the tank. Saw fires right up and runs ok with no load but bogs pretty bad when it needs more fuel in the cut..., as in a possible fuel delivery issue somewhere. My limited reading on these fuel filters seems to conclude that they were problematic at best over time and that simply dropping in a normal fuel line and pickup body style filter isn't as easy as it sounds to get around the problem.

I don't have the saw in my possession yet and the guy really wants to get it running right..., on a budget, of course. Just not sure how much of an issue that filter will be to work around with a normal fuel line and filter. If I understand correctly, one of the sides of the tank needs to be swapped to actually accept a regular fuel line? That would probably be a deal killer for the guy.

This fellow will have an hour drive to bring me the saw so if it's too much of a hassle to at least eliminate the fuel filter as a possible cause for his problem I'd like to give him a heads up in advance.

TIA for any input or enlightenment.

A few post back I had a similar problem with my saw. I had to take the carb. apart and clean it up. One of the tiny little screens was totally plugged. My tank was also sludged up pretty bad with tar. Someone here suggested I put a handful of BB's in the tank. It's not all bad now. I just left them in there.

Hi Poge,

The later tank half (PTO) side had a boss cast into it to adapt a fuel line and filter. There is likely and area just ahead of the carb box you could drill through into that side of the tank and run a fuel line and filter but I don't have an older XL-12 to check.
On the other hand, it may be that it just needs a carb kit or a new or cleaned felt wick. There are quite a few saws with wicks out there still going strong.

The tank isn't hard to remove from the saw. I think the oil line from the tank to the manual pump, the flywheel to get at the three tank bolts behind the flywheel and the fuel line to the carb. Not sure how hard the tanks come apart. Some of the older Homelites were bears to split the tank on. You would likely need a new tank gasket or some Motoseal. If the wick is gummed up, maybe some laquer thinner would revive it.

The wick PN is 58862

Wick IPL (page3)
http://www.leonschainsawpartsandrep...uper_xl-12_chainsaw_ipl__june_1964__23817.pdf

Line and filter IPL (page 5)

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/HomeliteXL12.pdf

Thanks for the rundown and the handy links. Looks like the tank needs split to replace the wick anyway (if necessary). The part number isn't yielding much from Google.

I'll hope for carb adjustments and/or carb kit to get it dialed in. Has been stored dry for a few years with no hint of the dreaded varnish build-up or even the scent of old gas according to the owner. Fresh gas and it fired right up. I'll run it all past him and see where he wants to go with it. Maybe swap him a red one for his blue one? (I have two of those.)

Haven't gotten too deep into any of my Homies yet aside from acquiring a bunch of em to work on when I retired. Guess I'd better get with it, eh?

Thanks for the rundown and the handy links. Looks like the tank needs split to replace the wick anyway (if necessary). The part number isn't yielding much from Google.

I'll hope for carb adjustments and/or carb kit to get it dialed in. Has been stored dry for a few years with no hint of the dreaded varnish build-up or even the scent of old gas according to the owner. Fresh gas and it fired right up. I'll run it all past him and see where he wants to go with it. Maybe swap him a red one for his blue one? (I have two of those.)

Haven't gotten too deep into any of my Homies yet aside from acquiring a bunch of em to work on when I retired. Guess I'd better get with it, eh?

Poge,

Don't wait until you retire. I retired in June and haven't had any time for myself since. Too busy. I've been working on a Pioneer 11-60 which looks like an XL-12 with an auto oiler added for three months but I'm getting close. Just have to paint the drive case and add some bearings and seals and then move on to a Pioneer 3200.
The grandkids get in the way (I love that part) and friends and family projects and catch up around the house.
Heading out to help a neighbor with his new property tomorrow.

If it needs a wick, I would sure try Joyce.

Feeling lucky though.

wrecking crew MBL 2017.jpg

Lucky indeed. That's a great shot and some lovely kids. Cherish that. They grow up fast! My first sweet little granddaughter will graduate from college next year. Yikes.

Truth be told, I am retired now too. Guess I just bought way too many saws back when I had a little more disposable income to get to all of em at once. I actually have more Homelites than Poulans or Macs. Just haven't jumped too deeply into the Homie pile o' fun yet.

Busy on all fronts here as well, but saws are the main activity for me now and I'm enjoying it immensely.

And Joyce certainly came to mind as a possible source for the wick, but thanks for the reminder. Probably would have forgotten by tomorrow. LOL

Lucky indeed. That's a great shot and some lovely kids. Cherish that. They grow up fast! My first sweet little granddaughter will graduate from college next year. Yikes.

Truth be told, I am retired now too. Guess I just bought way too many saws back when I had a little more disposable income to get to all of em at once. I actually have more Homelites than Poulans or Macs. Just haven't jumped too deeply into the Homie pile o' fun yet.

Busy on all fronts here as well, but saws are the main activity for me now and I'm enjoying it immensely.

And Joyce certainly came to mind as a possible source for the wick, but thanks for the reminder. Probably would have forgotten by tomorrow. LOL
I'll be turning 41 this year and have to make time to explore the world of chainsaws. Without you guys I'd be swimming in junk(good saws and not knowing). My father retarded last year and dreams of work. Wakes up wondering if he should call them. 40 years in same job I guess. He's taught me a lot but the passion for saws is my own!

My best friend, a great guy is always on the lookout for chainsaws in his local dump. He used to live up the street and now lives about three hours north of me.

He picked these up for me from the dump and a couple of junkers.

DSCF2954.JPG

DSCF2791.JPG

He phoned me tonight and said he picked up a Homelite with a long bar. All there he said, not sure about compression. I said what model. Don't know. I said what colour is it? Red or Blue? Can't remember.

Not a lot of info but you got to love a guy that keeps his eye open for free saws for you.

What ever it is parts saw of potential runner. I'm looking forward to it.

My best friend, a great guy is always on the lookout for chainsaws in his local dump. He used to live up the street and now lives about three hours north of me.

He picked these up for me from the dump and a couple of junkers.

View attachment 601241

View attachment 601242

He phoned me tonight and said he picked up a Homelite with a long bar. All there he said, not sure about compression. I said what model. Don't know. I said what colour is it? Red or Blue? Can't remember.

Not a lot of info but you got to love a guy that keeps his eye open for free saws for you.

What ever it is parts saw of potential runner. I'm looking forward to it.
Who throws this stuff away? Really! I'd give an arm and a leg for some of the stuff people throw away. My neighbor got an Acura someone put out front for free. Then there are these guys that try to shoot you. Huh people!

What size are the bolts that hold the starter cover on thee super xl? Bar clamp nuts too? Lol. Order a bar clamp from eBay. Said SXL on it. Hope it's not cracked. Will the bar on the super 2 fit on an XL? I'm going to say it will.
Had a blue homelite six years ago. Said xl-12 on it. Got at a community spring clean up. Gave ten dollars for it. Filled with mix and two pulls she was going. Had no chain, but did have a good bar on it. Took to local hardware and they told me that I couldn't get a chain for that any more. Not knowing any better I traded it off for Stihl ms170. Well plus two other saws and cash. I'm kicking myself right now!

What size are the bolts that hold the starter cover on thee super xl? Bar clamp nuts too? Lol. Order a bar clamp from eBay. Said SXL on it. Hope it's not cracked. Will the bar on the super 2 fit on an XL? I'm going to say it will.
Had a blue homelite six years ago. Said xl-12 on it. Got at a community spring clean up. Gave ten dollars for it. Filled with mix and two pulls she was going. Had no chain, but did have a good bar on it. Took to local hardware and they told me that I couldn't get a chain for that any more. Not knowing any better I traded it off for Stihl ms170. Well plus two other saws and cash. I'm kicking myself right now!

Going off memory here. That is dangerous. Starter cover assembly are 12-24 hex washer style bolts 9/16" and 1 7/8". That is a firm maybe. The original ones can be found quite easily used or new. I have a couple earlier XL-12 that wear different sized bar studs. 5/16" and 3/8". You would have to check. 3/8" with the larger mount D196 or UXL pattern is most common and is the bar for that stud. That same bar can be fitted onto the 5/16" studs using stud shims. I have factory equipped UXL mount Windsor bars on everything from XL-76/130 to XL-1/Super Mini as well as XL-7xx-9xx. Some have stud shims. The Super 2 bar will not fit. Bar mount pattern is different as would the chain pitch if equipped with a sprocket tip. You would need 3/8 0.050" chain for those SXLAO/XL-12 bars. Any dealer can spin a loop of that.

Serious warning though. Collecting Homelites follows some odd mathematical operation. Start with one or two. Add a couple more? Then you will have 20 or 30. Something to do with our metric system.

IMG_4539.PNG
All my others have the same Tillotson carb, this one has the SDC-62. Are the carbs interchangeable between the Super XL's Red & Blue and XL-12's?
I know the internals are definitely different and need different rebuild kits.
Yes. Sometimes they used different carbs during production, see pic.

Finally got around to painting the repaired rear handle on my SXL-922 with chain brake. A friend TIG'd it up a couple of years ago.

We'll see how well the paint I had mixed up matches when I pull the masking off.

I have been using a clear base alkyd rust paint from Home Hardware. Soe sores have a hand held color scanner that works quite well as long as you have a flat surface to scan.

I cut the paint with acetone. I may have used a bit much as the gloss level looks pretty high. The acetone thinner dries much faster that mineral spirits. I find the paint stands up quite well to gas and oil as long as it is well cured. Hardener would make it even better.

I think I'm going to build a bake oven for the painted stuff out of some wood and use a light bulb(s) to heat the box.

Don't ask about me standing up under the hanging wet part. Wife got the paint out of my hair anyhow.

DSCF3423.JPG

Yes finally. I joined a gym as well so that will be Mon, Wed, Fri. I started yesterday. Felt really good to begin getting back in shape.

I have a wick from a Pioneer 11-60 sitting in a pan of mineral spirits to clean it up. I see that gunk spot in the wick at the fuel tube that Pete was talking about. Might have to hit that with some lacquer thinner. Except for the auto oiler you would swear it's an XL-12. BH-108 drawn cup needle bearings both sides just like an XL-12.

Back