Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, later versions did have electronic ignition. That's what I've been working on all this time. I replaced the electronic with a points coil then used the Nova II chip to substitute for not having points. I think one way you might tell the difference is that the starter grille is made of metal and chromed on the older ones and it is all plastic in the later ones. I'll try to come up with some pics.

There are three starter cover styles.

-'Shaver' style metal with the chromed grill.

-Cast mag with no grill. Looks like the plastic covers. I've only seen one of these. I have a busted one on a parts saw (with blue electronic ignition).

-Plastic with no grill).

There are three starter cover styles.

-'Shaver' style metal with the chromed grill.

-Cast mag with no grill. Looks like the plastic covers. I've only seen one of these. I have a busted one on a parts saw (with blue electronic ignition).

-Plastic with no grill).

I guess I've never seen one of the metal ones that look like the plastic covers. They're probably pretty scarce. I imagine the blue modules are getting scarce too.
For those who haven't wired up a Nova it's simple...+ wire goes to coil terminal along with kill switch wire and - goes to a good ground. Some loop it back to the mounting screw, I chose to put it on the coil mounting screw.

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos

Here's a pic of the blue module that came on the saw and a pic of the Nova II and black points coil installation. Since the pic was taken I removed the square nut on the Nova and rounded it off for a better fit. I believe the black coil is from a Super 2 which I put on the EZ lamination. I really wasn't sure it was going to work but it works great!

I have3 Super Minis with the chrome flywheel guard and 1 with the plastic guard so it probably has he blue coil. I'll have to check as soon as I finish my hardwood floor honey do!

Thanks again,

Lee:msp_biggrin:

Hey guys i just gave one of my SuperXLAO's to my dad n kept the other 2.

I was thinkin, how would i be able to get more power out of it? Looking for.something simple and inexpensive for now.

Any idea guys?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

More power? Trade it up for somethong yellow, maybe a 10-10S.

I have a 10-10RH.

I love my homies tho. How well would my saw run if i strip the baffles out of the exhaust? And how much does porting run for a saw?

I have a 10-10RH.

I love my homies tho. How well would my saw run if i strip the baffles out of the exhaust? And how much does porting run for a saw?

Every saw is different.
Some respond REALLY well to a muffler mod while others just get louder.
I have even seen them slow down with a MM but not very often.

A good port job by a reliable porter will cost you $200.00 and up. How much money ya got and how fast do you want to go???
You can do a basic woods port yourself with limited tools and sometimes that helps one immensely!
Surely some of these homieboys have done a port widening, restriction removal, base gasket delete and muff mod to one of these old beasts!

Come on guys, how did it go?

Mike

Sorry Aaron, I couldn't resist the jab. I thought you guys would shout back a little more.
Father had several older xl ?? s, blue ones, and they ran and ran and ran. Very good dependable saws. But now that I've become accustomed to yellow power, any homies I get now instantly become trading stock.

Sorry Aaron, I couldn't resist the jab. I thought you guys would shout back a little more.
Father had several older xl ?? s, blue ones, and they ran and ran and ran. Very good dependable saws. But now that I've become accustomed to yellow power, any homies I get now instantly become trading stock.

Nobody's perfect Brad.:D

You coming down for the PNW GTG in Oregon in June?

Photo0801_zps0ca9e259.jpg

I don't run into these very often, yeah right, more like never.

Photo0801_zps0ca9e259.jpg

I don't run into these very often, yeah right, more like never.

Aha! I knew it was a six cube Homelite from the glimpse I got of it in your green thread post pic. Could see the 'idle air adjustment' grommet on the carb box (and that meant it was not a C-series or 2000/2100 saw). I have two XP1020's. Both are missing the ID tag however..........and both have roached P/C's...

That saw you just got needs a newer, more complete brother to give it moral support and help it come back from the dead.:D

nice, looks very similar to my C-72....big freakin saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

The XP's are basically the 'next evolution' of the C-Series. Larger bore, slightly longer stroke, and a few other changes. Many parts interchange. The 2000/2100/3100G saws are the final step in the series. Same basic layout. More detail changes. Some parts interchange with the earlier saws, but many do not. A great series overall (from 77cc direct drive 'farmer saws' through 114cc gear drive monsters).

Back