Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok pushed it out from inside cap with a really good paper clip. How can i check duck bill and/or filter to see which is causing the issue?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Ok pushed it out from inside cap with a really good paper clip. How can i check duck bill and/or filter to see which is causing the issue?

Most of them turn to black mush. All you'll probably be able to do is clean out the mess and replace the valve, they sell them on ebay for about $2 apiece.

It looks nice really. Its a light red rubber one.

Ill have to buy one anyway just in case....

How to test them for proper operation?

Last edited:
Hey guys have a question. The air filter in my gas cap on my super xlao is brass? and I am havin bad problems with my tank pressurizing and killing the saw. How do i take out filter and check valve, and is there a way to restore either of them?

Your carb. metering lever is a bit high or you got trash in the needle/seat.

Fuel tank duckbill/vents are to allow air in as fuel is used. Most every saw will build tank pressure in warm weather.

Pressure is so bad it sprayed fuel over 20 ft over 45 min after saw was killed. Fuel acts as though boiling, but i think its just pressure from carb?

I dont think its carb. Just rebuilt.

Ok put a fuel cap on from another super XLAO, fired her up, and fuel shot out from under the gas cap. Put original back on no such deal.

So now I'm utterly lost. Its now 60° out ran her on some white oak about 14" dia. and pulled cap. Still high pressure and gas boiling....

Will take case apart and do a thorough cleaning, reassemble case and see how she does tomorrow...

Ok put a fuel cap on from another super XLAO, fired her up, and fuel shot out from under the gas cap. Put original back on no such deal.

So now I'm utterly lost. Its now 60° out ran her on some white oak about 14" dia. and pulled cap. Still high pressure and gas boiling....

Will take case apart and do a thorough cleaning, reassemble case and see how she does tomorrow...

Sounds like you may have an issue with building heat from clogged cooling fins or running lean and creating alot of heat

Running 40:1 but i though with todays mixes you can run up to 50:1?

The duckbill valve in the cap is NOT intended to keep the fuel tank from 'pressurizing'. It's a one-way valve to let air IN as fuel is drawn out while retaining fuel and pressure. There is almost always pressure in the tank, especially once the fuel warms up and vibrations 'shake it up'. As the other guys said, these saws will boil the fuel when they get hot. Clean the cylinder fins. Clean out the underside of the flywheel cover. BTW..............pressure in the tank will RAISE the boiling temp of the fuel. Lower pressure (like when you remove the cap) will lower the boiling temperature. That's why hot saws will suddenly boil the fuel when you remove the cap. Think of the radiator cap on your car....

I just cleaned out the crank case cover, clutch cover, and all the places in between that i could getbto qithout having to dismantle and this is what came out.

View attachment 293273

Most of this is just from the crank case cover.

Don't forget the cylinder fins. That's where the cooling happens. Get that flywheel cover cleared out too. If air can't move through there it'll get HOT.

Do i gotta pull the flywheel or?

~5-Speed~

Nah I'm talking about the cover that goes over the flywheel (and contains the starter assembly). Clean the crankcase cover around the flywheel. Also clean the tin shroud that surrounds the cylinder (and the cylinder fins). Doesn't have to be spotless. Just trying to get the stuff that obstructs the airflow. It is good to get as much of the oily crap off of the fins as possible, as that'll help the passing air conduct heat off of them.

Yeah ok i did all that. Gunna need a new flywheel i think. Looks as though mine has some very small almost imperceptable cracks in it...

~5-Speed~

Latest posts

Back