Homelite saw blade running away!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaveSawWillCut

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK maybe not the greatest title for this but I think you get the idea. I have a Homelite 4618c "pro," model # UT10518. (Spare me the bashing comments, it's my backup saw.) Anyway I have had it for a few years but only recently I have used it hard & had some problems.

The saw starts & runs great with good power, but after cutting for a half hour or so and when the engine is hot, it will idle as normal but the chain continues to spin dangerously fast. It doesn't do this when cold. A buddy told me the clutch springs are wearing out and the clutch needs to be replaced...is this right? If so, anyone know where is the best place online to order parts? I am sure I can do the work myself if I can get pointed in the right direction.

And please forgive my ignorance, I have done a lot of cutting lately but I am still a newbie to working on saws, I have yet to tear into one, but I do have mechanical skills and I want to learn and fix my own saws. The amount of knowledge on this site is astounding! Any pointers from you experienced folks would be appreciated.

From what you tell us, it sounds like the idle speed (which is set with engine hot) is too high. Have you tried to adjust it downward? I'm not familiar with that model, so you might have to dig out the manual, or find a replacement online.

Any movement of chain at idle is dangerous.

Welcome aboard!

I would say richen up the "L" a tad to bring the idle down to where the chain stops. It may a balancing act between the idle set screw and the "L"to get it right where the saw will still idle when cold but won't overspeed when hot. Or you could have a small air leak like a seal that shows up more when hot....or it could be clutch springs but I would try and adjust my way out of it first before just assuming it was something more than it may be.

Thanks!

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised to get so many responses to my question so quickly, especially with this being my first post. I will certainly take everyone's advice and check the idle and for air leaks before I go further. (Now where the *@!! Did I put that owners manual?) ha ha Just one more reason to get a pro saw I guess, there is a lot more info on them, and dealer support if necessary. I bought this Homelite cheapo saw back before I knew anything about saws, so now I'm stuck with it.

Thanks again for your time, and for accepting me into this great community! I look forward to hearing more from ya'll in the near future!

Paul

Back