Homelite Super EZ: best Homelite ever made?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brages

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I've seen people on this forum who just love the Super EZ. What's the story? Why is it special? Was it the "best" Homelite ever made?

It was just such a well made, well packaged little saw. It performs beyond its displacement and design age. That little sucker will pull a 16" bar of 3/8" chain (not LP) with surprising gusto. They're not fast, but they are strong. They're a very handy, sweet running little saw that does whatever you ask of it. They're durable, dependable, and the design was in production for close to thirty years.

Having said all that (and I believe every word of it)...........I believe it's Homelite's second best saw. In my opinion (there's the disclaimer).....the XL12/SXL-AO family saws are the best saw that Homelite ever made. I also believe that they are the most influencial chainsaw ever built by any manufacturer.

They ushered in the age of the truely lightweight, portable, handy midrange chainsaw. Many manufacturers made saws that were 'strongly influenced' by that saw family. Those saws were manufactured with minor variations of displacement, cosmetics, and other details. Some were more powerful, some were lighter. All owed their existance to the XL12/SXL-AO.

The XL12-AO saw series was built for thirty years, with few changes. They still perform well, and are as reliable as a claw hammer. The design outlived many 'newer' Homelite designs that were meant to replace it (360, 300, 330, 350, 410, XL100-series, etc). Yes there have been many advances in power, speed, and comfort since these saws were designed, but this series set the benchmark and created a popular saw class.

The 50-60cc midrange size/weight/power class is still going strong worldwide, and all who sell or use saws in this range owe a debt of thanks to the REAL Homelite folks, and their XL12/SXL-AO saws.:cheers:

My neighbor has a red one. I ran it a few times and it was so so...Bob

I'd bet your neighbor's E-Z was probably tired. They're in the same class as an Echo CS-302, so you can't expect too much of it...

I had one, and liked the design, but got rid of it. I'm surprised, but for some reason they don't fetch much money on fee-bay.

Add me to the list who thinks they're "one of, but not the best". They do run well for a small saw, but they have lots of component parts and not the easiest to put a wrench on. Other may say I'm nuts, but I find a 150 or even a little XL or Super 2 easier to work on.

Dan

I think they are one of Homelites best quality and designed small saws. High compression and power. I was told by more than one person they cost over 300.00 in the late 70's. They are 2.5 ci. and run a full size 3/8 chain with no problem.

I think they are one of Homelites best quality and designed small saws. High compression and power. I was told by more than one person they cost over 300.00 in the late 70's. They are 2.5 ci. and run a full size 3/8 chain with no problem.

Yeah Albert, I remember that a few of us talked about them at the Eastern PA GTG a few weeks ago. Seems like it was intended to be a high quality small saw for the pro market. Kind of a forerunner to saws like the 346 and ms200. The deco on a saw that small would come in handy when starting in a bucket or when climbing. It's still a very light saw, and an excellent handler, even by todays standards.

I agree with Eccentric though that the XL-12 family is more significant in Homelite lore. Very well built, with many of them still in use today. I brought a nice blue one to that GTG in PA, and Beowulf67 referred to it as "The original one saw plan". Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

I had a super ez given to me . All I had to do to get it started was put on a new fuel line. I gave it a try and was surpised. It has a 16 inch bar with 3/8 pitch chain.

Never run one or a S-XL, but I do have a 360. I haven't used it that much, but it does seem like a handy little saw. It gets right after it with a 16" bar and 3/8 chain.

Oh, and my Super Wiz 80 does a beautiful job anchoring the shelves. If we ever have an earthquake, I know not a single McCulloch will be tossed so long as the big Homie stands sentry.

Got a couple of them. One is in like brand new condition. My dad had one years ago. They were a fantastic little saw. Back then they performed like a bigger saw.

I have to agree the XL-12 family was a better, more influencial saw.

The only dislike we had with the Super EZ was the muffler on the side. We eventually scored the cylinder/piston overheating it when clearing fence rows/ cutting off multifloral roses by having the muffler right down in the dirt overheating the saw. It was the primary reason we switched from homelite to Stihl, to get a saw with the muffler located on the front.

We still runs ours from time to time, they are still surprisingly strong for their size.

Yep, I am with the "one of, but not the best" bunch. I like the compact design and they do start and run nice, they are a little tough to work on the cramped design. I set one up with .325" and it runs real nice. I also like how they look like mini-me versions of the SXL-925. My 2 saw plan would be a Super EZ and a 2100! The SXL is legendary! Unfortunately, it should have been replaced with something better or comparable, but Homelite was never able to replace it, a small part of there demise. Just my thoughts!

Jonathan

I agree Jonathan. No disputing the XL-12 was revolutionary, but it was by no account evolutionary. Totally different story for saws like the C series or XL-700/800/900. Must have been different engineering departments or something. Dang it'd be great to have a member around here that worked for Homelite during the day that could give the full scoop on this stuff.

Never quite understood the deal of the XL-1xx series and it being sold along with the XL-12/Super XL saws. Guess maybe Homelite marketing and management hoped people would jump on the "new" series bandwagon, but looks like that didn't happen. I think Joyce mentioned awhile back that the XL-1xx saws were priced higher than the XL-12 series which probably played a big part in people still buying the "older" style saws. With all the evolution that went on with the XL100s, its amazing how the XL-12 and Super XL remained almost unchanged.

The 350 and then 360 were out by mid 70s, but the original XL series was still being sold along side of them. Need to see some price sheets, but almost sure the "pro" series were more expensive, so the XL-12 and Super saws still had people buying 'em as a lower priced alternative.

Dan

I brought a nice blue one to that GTG in PA, and Beowulf67 referred to it as "The original one saw plan". Pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?

Spike, that saw was beautiful. Three weeks later, and I'm wishing I'd run it.

And the 560.

.............. Other may say I'm nuts, but I find a 150 or even a little XL or Super 2 easier to work on.

Dan

Dan,

With all due respect, I will not go as far as saying you are nuts but I will disagree. The 150 had its place but the SEZ was a much superior saw. If you ever want a new 150 let me know. I have one left. The new SEZ will stay here.

Bill

I think its important to understand the chainsaw market as it existed in the mid-1960's through the late 1970's: While we could applaud technical advances or styling in the xl-1xx or XL400, I don't think many buyers were considering that.

They needed to cut a little wood. This whole internet thing has made it easy for us to compare apples to oranges, and fall victim to marketing departments everywhere.

I have two S-ez's, a regular (blue) EZ, and various parts. They ARE neat little saws and I would agree with most of what's been said about them. But in the end, they are really "best" in the same way that a Chevy is "better" than a Pontiac. They sold more, so more people remember them fondly.

I also have 2 red 150's and two blue ones. The red ones are nice-looking saws, but the blue ones not so much (IMO). Red and Blue xl-12/Sxl's; I like the blue and white ones a little better, but not the last ones they sold to try to cash in on nostalgia. And I have not stopped searching for the (complete and decent) Holy Grail red, white and green XL-12! I have also seen a few JD green Sxl's, but it seems like the folks that own them think they're sitting on a gold mine, LOL!

Latest posts

Back