How big are Cords

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be correct, do you mean 4ft wide x 4ft tall x 8ft long?

Yes, the ' mark indicates feet, and " means inches.

A face cord is 4'x8' by however long they make the wood (typically 14"-18").

Just to be correct, do you mean 4ft wide x 4ft tall x 8ft long?

The total volume doesn't change no matter which length is in a particular dimension. If you can get a 4'x4' stack to stand 8' high, more power to you...and you'd probably do well as an opening act in Vegas.

Of course, this is with split wood, reasonably tightly packed to fit the volume. The quibbling often comes down to what one's definition of "reasonably" means.

A fairly concise explanation (with pictures!):
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

Last edited:
A customer might make you stack it 4' wide, 4' deep, and 8 ' tall ! :greenchainsaw:

Thanks. I have an abundance of pecan wood on the ground due to Hurricane Ike. Was just trying to figure out how to best sell it. I need to get a log splitter. I have been splitting it with a maul.

The total volume doesn't change no matter which length is in a particular dimension. If you can get a 4'x4' stack to stand 8' high, more power to you...and you'd probably do well as an opening act in Vegas.

Of course, this is with split wood, reasonably tightly packed to fit the volume. The quibbling often comes down to what one's definition of "reasonably" means.

A fairly concise explanation (with pictures!):
http://www.woodheat.org/firewood/cord.htm

Cord... A Cord of wood is 4' x 4' x 8' BUT not cut to 16" but rather 48" pieces typically odd pieces were split in the 48" length then sawed by a buzz saw to stove lengths.

Quote "(A 'full' cord measures 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. and is the official, standard firewood measure. But four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell four foot pieces. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement. This is why buying firewood can be confusing.)" fron the link you posted

Scott

Cord... A Cord of wood is 4' x 4' x 8' BUT not cut to 16" but rather 48" pieces typically odd pieces were split in the 48" length then sawed by a buzz saw to stove lengths.

Quote "(A 'full' cord measures 4 ft. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. and is the official, standard firewood measure. But four foot pieces are never used for home heating, and dealers rarely sell four foot pieces. So firewood is not offered for sale in the form of its official unit measurement. This is why buying firewood can be confusing.)" fron the link you posted
Scott

I was wondering if anybody actually bought four foot pieces. I am just gonna make a bunch of face cords, let them sit a year and then offer them up for sale. Competition BBQ is my thing really but I have never cared for Pecan wood. It burns fast and does not leave coals, only ashes. I prefer Hickory, but I have to buy it as there arent any Hickory trees in my area.

Side note, the guys whos BBQ Chicken program does really well all prefer Pecan wood. Should have no problem selling it next year to some of my buddies.

This is a great site. I have learned alot, mostly about how to care for my saws. I am spending a lot less money on chains now. Thank Yall for that. :greenchainsaw:

Thanks. I have an abundance of pecan wood on the ground due to Hurricane Ike. Was just trying to figure out how to best sell it. I need to get a log splitter. I have been splitting it with a maul.

Go to a rental store and you should be able to get a hydraulic splitter for $100 or less per day.

Texan

Hate to rain on your parade, but.....

1) Firewood in your part of the world is over abundant due to Ike.
2) Fewer folks these days burn wood - most use gas logs. When I started 35 years ago, 99% of my customers wanted wood. Today more than 95% have gas logs.
3) I have trouble giving firewood away. I no longer try to sell it. I let people come to my yard and sell it for $35.00 a pick up load - they load, their truck.
Most can get a half cord in a standard pick up. Even at that price, few takers.
4) Pecan rots very easily. Live oak will last for 8 to 10 years cut and stacked. Pecan - maybe 2 years if you're lucky.
5) Visit the local BBQ joints and see if they're interested. Let them come and get it and let them split it. Many use large dimension wood in their cookers because it burns slower and longer.

Latest posts

Back