How long can you hold out?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fired my OWB sunday night...rainy and chilly sure was nice when the house was back to 73. She will burn now till late spring.

made a fire in the indoor furnace last night ; it sure felt nice. I guess the wife liked it too cause when I got home from work today she had made a fire already

I fell off the wagon and was dragged by it tonight; 49 degrees out.

The first few weeks of burning are usually the odds and ends of all the wood I cut.

Love hearing the stove heat up.

Fired my OWB sunday night...rainy and chilly sure was nice when the house was back to 73. She will burn now till late spring.

Tuesday night here. Fired the 4400 up and watched the temp gauge rise :clap:
I will burn until mid April or when the daytime temps are getting into the 70's again. I love not having to pay the gas man, but I wish these things were more efficient. 10 cords is a lot of wood :givebeer:

Chris

I try to wait until the wife says, do you think it's chilly in here? that happens in mid to late October. Temps around here have been in the 70's during the day, and upper 40's to mid 50's at night. I've got the house well insulated and most of the windows are new energy eff. type. Just ordered the last of the replacement windows and hope to have them in before winter. I installed a new to me stove with blower and SS-1 switch, really itching to check that baby out!! I've got 2 plus years of wood, so that's not a problem.

not to sound like a broken record but we try to wait as long as possible until we fire up the stove. i also have to agree with two posts - the lounging in skivies post and the regulating with a window post. there were a few times last winter that we had a few warm days where i didnt check the weather. the thermostat hit the mid 80s a few times and 90+ once. ooops. then i learned my lesson and checked the weather and payed attention to what i was burning. that fixed the problem. i am looking to upgrade to an add on furnace for 2010. i have been saving lots of money - im down to one fill up a year in the propane tank. can only imagine how much better i'd do if i had an add on furnace hooked up to my forced hot air system.
i just have to add one more thing - i love this web site.
lou

My dad is fireing up our owb tonite. This is the eaeliest our town will let us start it. We are supposed to shut it down April 1st but it usually stays on till my ### hole neibor calls the town.

well the jotul is getting its first burn today! Kinda wierd to light the first fire ever in a 30 year old stove. By the way, ive been burning in it all day, and the difference between this little combifire and the blaze king is night and day! I left at hot stove with a bed of coals from three chunks of 14" split ash @ 1130am, I came home to a stove that was still hot to the touch with a bed of coals four hours later. no way that happens with my old blaze king, three pieces of ash that small might last a little over an hour and the stove would be cold to the touch in under three. Looks like Ill be getting some sleep this winter:cheers:

My dad is fireing up our owb tonite. This is the eaeliest our town will let us start it. We are supposed to shut it down April 1st but it usually stays on till my ### hole neibor calls the town.

I dont want to sound like a butthead,BUT you really should stay within the towns regulations...PLEASE?

Back