Hurricaine ready

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be surprised if those local quick mart shelves are bare already.

Good point, but they may still have some of those cheapie flashlights that sell for a few dollars. The last places that seem to get hit are the dollar stores, and off price stores. They usually have things like tarps, flashlights, and batteries.

We went to walmart on Saturday, and there didn't seem to be the usual panic mode buying in Rochester NH.

I live about 15 minutes west/southwest of the projected landfall area :msp_scared:

See you in a few days.

I was toying with the idea of getting a larger saw earlier this summer. I knew I'd really never use it, and literally had no use for it....but dammit it would be nice to have right now :msp_sneaky:

Last edited:
Good luck out there. Its better to have stuff ready and not need it than the other way around. A chainsaw in the trunk doesn't cost you anything either, other than the 5 minutes to refuel and throw it in.

We had heavy rain last week and then early snow yesterday. All the trees still have leaves on them and with the wet snow there was a lot of broken limbs and fallen trees on the roads. When i pulled a chainsaw out of my trunk at a road block everybody was like "wow what a great idea to take it with you" :) Cut the trees up, dragged them to the side and the traffic cleared, otherwise we'd be stuck there for an hour waiting for the firemen to clear the road.

Philly

My cousin is 2 hrs se of me near Philly. His homeowners insurance called him last night and told him to board up all windows. That makes you feel warm and fuzzy.
My wife and I went to the local lowes, Kmart, and sears yesterday shopping. None of them have had a generator, sump pump or batteries since Thursday. It's pretty nuts.

Go to the local quicky mart and at least get yourself a LED flashlight and some batteries. A case of water, and some beef jerky is cheap enough to just leave if your flight actually goes out tomorrow morning. They are pushing back lots of flights, so I would be prepared to stick around for awhile.

Just left Hertz rent-a-car. Got one reserved for tomorrow morning, if there are still roads! Man, 800 miles by car is going to suck! As I wondered around on Saturday, I realized this town would be neat to get around by boat. Next time I'll skip the plane and bring the truck and boat. That way I'll have room for a couple of saws, and won't go crazy watching the other boats zip around.

From the NHC site:

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR...
* NORTH OF SURF CITY TO DUCK NORTH CAROLINA
* PAMLICO AND ALBEMARLE SOUNDS
* BERMUDA

IN ADDITION...HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS ARE EXPECTED ALONG PORTIONS OF
THE COAST BETWEEN CHINCOTEAGUE VIRGINIA AND CHATHAM MASSACHUSETTS.
THIS INCLUDES THE TIDAL POTOMAC FROM COBB ISLAND TO SMITH POINT...
THE MIDDLE AND UPPER CHESAPEAKE BAY...DELAWARE BAY...AND THE COASTS
OF THE NORTHERN DELMARVA PENINSULA...NEW JERSEY...THE NEW YORK CITY
AREA...LONG ISLAND...CONNECTICUT...AND RHODE ISLAND.

TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS ARE EXPECTED NORTH OF CHATHAM TO
MERRIMACK RIVER MASSACHUSETTS...THE LOWER CHESAPEAKE BAY...AND
SOUTH OF CHINCOTEAGUE TO DUCK NORTH CAROLINA...THE NORTHERN
ENDPOINT OF THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING.

Just left Hertz rent-a-car. Got one reserved for tomorrow morning, if there are still roads! Man, 800 miles by car is going to suck! As I wondered around on Saturday, I realized this town would be neat to get around by boat. Next time I'll skip the plane and bring the truck and boat. That way I'll have room for a couple of saws, and won't go crazy watching the other boats zip around.

News just listed highways that will be shut down tonight.

Got out briefly yesterday before the worst of the storm rolled in. Here's a shot of the marsh near our new property, taken two hours before high tide:

attachment.php

View attachment 259868

Normally that's all grass down below. There is a wood duck house on a pole in the middle of the shot that is normally 4 feet above a regular high tide. No question it was under soon after I took that shot, and we'll see an even higher tide today. The estimates of a 3-6 foot surge for this area seem to be correct. My mother-in-law's house was close to being flooded during yesterday's high tide, and I think she'll get hit today.

Oh man.

They're saying 7-11 feet above for us. My uncle's house near Long Beach Island is already a foot under water and the storm hasn't landed yet. There's a very real chance that his house will be gone tomorrow.

I'm leaving work @ noon today.
Governor of Connecticut is shutting the State highways down 1PM today. Fun Fun
Saws ready, gassed up the Car / Truck. We have a Generator and a Well for water so if I do not run out of gas (10 days worth), we will have water, heat and food to get through this.

Wife works at Home Depot. They sold all 25 Generators on Saturday in 30 minutes, people were in line @ 5AM and the Skids did not come in until 1PM!!
They also sold 2 skids of C / D batteries and a skid of gas cans.

Wishing the people closer to the center good luck on getting through this.
Don

Oh man.

They're saying 7-11 feet above for us. My uncle's house near Long Beach Island is already a foot under water and the storm hasn't landed yet. There's a very real chance that his house will be gone tomorrow.

I just heard that the ocean already swept over into the bay in Ocean City

Oh man.

z71mike. I hope and pray your uncle and his house survive without too much damage. Good luck to him and everyone in this storms path.

Oh man.

Let's pray your uncle in safe! A friend of mine called me yesterday - he has a house in Lavalette - to say he's emotionally ready to say goodbye to his house. He and his family are safe.

ST - the NorthEast quadrant is far worse for us in the NYC metro area. All that water pushed onto the shore has nowhere to go. z71mike, me, and a few other members are less than 50 miles from mid-town Manhattan, and it ain't gonna be a picnic here by tonight.

Be safe...everyone....everywhere.

Mike

***Additionally, landfall tonight will occur during high tide & full moon!

Last edited:
Fremont,NY. Fire Dept. Responding to house fires on flooded streets. Folks had previously evacuated in all instances.

That pier use to have a building on it!:msp_w00t:

Just got notified they are Closing the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge at 1 pm today. Bottom line....if you haven't left yet...you ain't leaving.:msp_sad:

Wish everyone well.
Best Wishes!

Uncle Muff:

Got out briefly yesterday before the worst of the storm rolled in. Here's a shot of the marsh near our new property, taken two hours before high tide:

attachment.php

View attachment 259868

Normally that's all grass down below. There is a wood duck house on a pole in the middle of the shot that is normally 4 feet above a regular high tide. No question it was under soon after I took that shot, and we'll see an even higher tide today. The estimates of a 3-6 foot surge for this area seem to be correct. My mother-in-law's house was close to being flooded during yesterday's high tide, and I think she'll get hit today.

I hope that marsh is far, far below.

Stay safe you guys!

Sandy

I live 60 miles East of NYCity,about 1 mile from the water.We are getting heavy winds and rain,gusts about 50MPH I would say.Lost power once already this morning for an hour.The portable garage will never stay together through this,it's starting to shred!

RR

Back