Huskee Splitter-Gas to Electric Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have a TSC 22 ton model. It's just over a year old. I like it and have no complaints.

I like go to flea markets, auctions, etc. and every now and then I come across some pretty massive electric motors.

So I got to thinking, if I ever come across one that is big enough for a splitter and at a good deal, I might just pick one up. Sometimes I like splitting in my attatched garage and sometimes I like splitting early in the morning. So an electric motor might just help keep the peace with the neighbors. I live in a subdivision with 3/4 are lots. They are pretty tolerant of my wood stacks (I keep them neatly stacked), but don't want to push it either.

I have 220 in my garage so that is not a problem. Might also help discourage freinds from wanting to "borrow" my splitter all the time (just like my welder).

So any tips on what elect motor to look for? I think the hp rating to look for is about half of what is needed for a gas engine? RPM's? need to be the same or higher or can they be close? etc? Thanks, KD

I been doing some researcher on converting mine also.

I have a 16 GPM pump and I am going to try a 5HP motor on mine.

More well almost as important than hp is rpm's most electric motors are 1725 rpm while most gas are 3600. It can be done with jack shaft and pullys because most pump bearings don't like the side loading that a single pully makes. Then you get into the phase thing with your bigger electric motors. There are some charts on hp to hp conversions the surpluscenter.com has some good tech help.

So I have a TSC 22 ton model. It's just over a year old. I like it and have no complaints.

I like go to flea markets, auctions, etc. and every now and then I come across some pretty massive electric motors.

So I got to thinking, if I ever come across one that is big enough for a splitter and at a good deal, I might just pick one up. Sometimes I like splitting in my attatched garage and sometimes I like splitting early in the morning. So an electric motor might just help keep the peace with the neighbors. I live in a subdivision with 3/4 are lots. They are pretty tolerant of my wood stacks (I keep them neatly stacked), but don't want to push it either.

I have 220 in my garage so that is not a problem. Might also help discourage freinds from wanting to "borrow" my splitter all the time (just like my welder).

So any tips on what elect motor to look for? I think the hp rating to look for is about half of what is needed for a gas engine? RPM's? need to be the same or higher or can they be close? etc? Thanks, KD

DR offers conversion kits for their splitter from gas to electric, and vice versa. Since they've done all the homework, I'd give them a call. I'm sure their conversion could be adapted to your situation. Here's the link: DR® Power Equipment - DR Dual-Action Log Splitter Conversion Kit

Don <><

Back