Husky 372XP or Stihl 460Mag or Dolmar 7900

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadred

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am debating on a new saw. I've only had consumer saws in the past and am now looking for something more. I certainly have the work for it.
I am looking at the Husky 372XP, the Stihl 460 Magnum and the Domar 7900. Is it correct that the carb on the Stihl is unadjustable? How about the Dolmar?
I think the Stihl is really well built, but I don't like the idea of not being able to make adjustments to the saw when necessary.
Thanks.

Contact hunter about a 7900EHP...............you will not run a better saw!! I just got another 7900EHP I want one for everyday of the week only five to go!!!!!.....CB

if you have only had consumer saws .. the 372 would be what id recopmmend..
lite strong an with a good track record..plus for this step up its gonna prove to be a saw that can do the job without thowing a lotta curves.jmo
a saw that mite surprise you with power ,low wt an good price isthe 962
efco ,oleo mac ,or john deere.. it goes by those names and more..
ive not found a fault with mine,altho mine is the olympic version without decompression start..if mine didnt start real easy ,that mite bother me more..

I would say that it all comes down to dealer support. I work on my own saws so that is not too much of an issue. Most of the saws that I have purchased over the last few years have been through the internet or from someone that I met on AS. The 7900 gets the nod as the best saw/most power for the money. The Husky 372 is a great saw with a great reputation. The same can be said about the Stihl 460, although the 460 is pricier than the other two. I wish Dolmar had the dealer support that Stihl & Husky do. You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 aforementioned saws!

Iwould go with the Stihl 460. The 372XP is being discontinued due to crank issues. And I have never seen a Dolmar dealer, therefore dealer support would be non-existant.

DirtTroll said:
Iwould go with the Stihl 460. The 372XP is being discontinued due to crank issues. And I have never seen a Dolmar dealer, therefore dealer support would be non-existant.
What crank issues? Please do explain.

I'm leaning away from Stihl due to the fixed high jets. I don't like the idea of not being able to make simple adjustments as the saw breaks in and ages.

Deadred. I don't own or run a 460 but I'm pretty sure that it has an adjustable high speed jet-most of the fixed jet monkey business was on smaller saws. As for the 372 having crank issues-I blow the raspberries at DirtTroll. The 372 keeps on cranking nicely. The 372 is being superceded by the 575-Which meets the next round of EPA nonsense and will allow Husky to keep producing the larger existing saws a little longer since this staged EPA junk regulates based upon production numbers and ratios between compliant and "non-compliant" emissions from the various models.

P.S. For me "dealer support is a totally unimportant factor and I bought the Dolmar 7900. Everyone seems to agree that Dolmar designs are superb. If you want more dealers then BUY THE PRODUCT. Increased sales will lead to more dealers. In the meantime- The saw can be sent off for warranty work (Few of them need it) and any competent mechanic should be able to work on any saw. I'll give credit to the local STihl dealership -they stock a lot of parts. If I need parts for something other than Stihl I or my mechanic can order them and have them in a few days. No big deal.

Stumper is on the right track regarding the replacement of the 372xp with the 575xp.

Also on the 460 having a fully adjustable carb. You just need to override or defeat the screw limiters if they don`t come from the factory with enough range of motion. BTW, the factory dual port muffler cover helps the 460 rev and develop more power, it`s money well spent for this upgrade.

Russ

Back