Husky vs. Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just looking for opinions, but on the pro models of both makes; given the same ammount of use and maintenance in your opinion wich tends to endure the longest?

You might as well ask the tried and true Chevy vs Ford question!

Personally, I love my Husky saws over Sthils, but then again that is just me...:D

It doesn't matter which one endures the longest.  Stihl is the better of the two brands.  hahaha!

Try <a href="http://www.arboristsite.com/search.php?s=&action=showresults&searchid=263107&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending" target="_blank">this AS search result</a>.

Glen

Hello Hexan, the saws you mentioned, although all serviceable in the hands of one who knows how to use them, I would get an 026 or a 357. Just read the old threads and you should be able to make a wise choice based on what you need a saw for.
What kind of trees do you have in Puerto Rico?
John

Rocky do you always attack people when you first meet them? Since you are smarter than all of use maybe we need the Rocky Forum, This way here the rest of us peasants would know are place.

Hi Marky. You remember your first day of high school, right? I got pushed around too. Llamabert gives some good advice in reading old threads. I can't speak for all of them but I would think most pro saws are going to last provided they are properly handled and maintained.
Hexan, it looks like you already have a nice stable of saws. Are you looking for another size?

Well I thought about the 357 before I got the 359 but got too good a deal for it.
Most of the trees I've felled here are mahoganys(honduran, red, smooth), some spanish cedars(softest cuts I've made) theese make you feel like youve got a V-Twin under the hood of any saw, anyways lots others I cant identify yet. But most of them are so full of resin, and moisture that by the end of the day the chain looks like a red rope.

Not really going for another size, but I would love to get me a 660 or perhaps eaven an 880!:D Maybee even a Dolmar.. Its not so much as for need but for fun/bragging rights.

Hey rocky you know, you dont have to reply to every post. If you don't like the questions you can just keep on scrolling. Im sure there are plenty of "real" saw questions that need to be answered by someone of uncommon wisdom such as yourself.

Just a collectors thought.

If you look at saws today they are not built to last forever, if you have the right saw for the job, give the same/proper service, and take away the mony factor, there is not much differens.
There is + - to each brand.

Mange

Re: Just a collectors thought.

Originally posted by Mange
saws today they are not built to last forever, if you have the right saw for the job.

Mange

I look at it like Playing Golf I have a different Saw for each aspect of tree work.
Just like a golfer i can justify owning more saws this way........:cool:

Hexan,A little off the topic but, when you cut into these tropical wet woods with resins do you have to be careful breathing the chips/dusts? Last year my brother brought back some nice dark wood from Costa Rica, and while I was cutting it on the table saw I started feeling lousy and just about puked. My lungs/eyes started to burn as well.

Well yeah...on the really sappy ones you have to at least wrap a piece of shirt arround your nose and mouth, cause if not you get naucious at the least. Althought the effects are lessened because were outside and usually the wind helps a bit as opposed to being in a semi enclosed space (I took the liberty of assumming your tablesaw is in a garage or shop?). Heck one of the guys I work with wears a double canister respirator under his mesh helmet almost every day, except when were cutting pine. Actually not that bad of an idea except for the fact that it filters out the seewt 2 cyle aroma...

Hexan (is that your real name or is it just another juvenile 'user name'?

No really
Dont buy any saw that does not have a great dealer support.
It does'nt matter what brand you buy (well there are numerous exceptions to this rule)
If you dont have a great shop that can service your saws perfectly than even the greatest brand saw will give you problems in the long run.
Both Stihl (my favorite) and Husky make great saws. Both of these saws pay for themselves over and over without fail. But both companies make some models that are crap.
The 088 is a great saw, Do you need the greater weight tho? How about a 066?
Husky makes some great saws as well. I forget the number but it is something like the 378 is the good one but the 379 is not as good.
Other members of this board can tell you about the Husky models better than I can.
Frans

-Sick of juvenile/pathectic 'user names'-

Frans
Thanx for the input, I will most definitely take it into consideration for the purchase of my next saw. Lucky for me: I have great dealers for both husky and stihl within a 10 minute drive of where I live.
By the way Hexan J. Gonzalez Pagani is my real name. It was given to me by my father who has the same name and it was given to him by his father in memory of the town in france where he was born: Hexan.

Hexan J. Gonzalez Pagani is my real name. It was given to me by my father who has the same name and it was given to him by his father in memory of the town in france where he was born: Hexan.

That I will remember, nice to know a little about you.

Mange

Latest posts

Back