HYPOTHETICAL - Which saw would you grab in an emergency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of did this drill for real with the recent hurricane, but the tree was on the driveway, not a loved one. A tree was across the girlfriend's driveway, and there was stuff down all over, so tossing a saw in the back of the Jeep was an obvious thing to do. Grabbed a 2153 with a 16" bar, figuring I wasn't going to tackle anything bigger than that could handle. When I get to her house, there's this huge locust in the driveway and that 16" bar all of a sudden seemed kind of puny. Lucky for me, she only lives about 4 miles from my store, so I ran up there to grab a 372 with a 24" on it that did the trick.

The 2153 did get some action doing some smaller trees; one across a road on the way home, and one across the neighbor's driveway.

My Stumpbroke 372xp w/the 24" bar. It starts quick and runs straight and true with tons of power.

*and it's loud enough to draw the attention of the neighbors who can dial 911 while I'm cutting... ;)

Echo 600P. Fast, strong and nimble enough in a pinch. But that's assuming my 530 isn't blocking my way to it.

Easy Answer

I'd grab my Echo 450P and be thankful that I had it to begin with. Starting it wouldn't be a problem. I'd just hope that I had a little gas and oil left in the tanks though. ;)

If that failed, I'd tear ever muscle and ligament in my body trying to lift the tree and/or break my arms and legs trying to break the tree (heeeyah!). I love my wife and younguns.

Last edited:
Easy, 441R M-Tronics that has been modded, with a 28" Stihl LITE bar and Full Skip Semi Chisel. For all practical purposes its a one pull starting saw, thats start to finish, one pull. It doesn't care about the temperature, elevation or fuel it will compensate and push the performance as hard as it can.

That's what I would pick up,

Sam

Are you serious about the one pull to start thing with the M-Tronics Sam? If so that's pretty cool :) My saws only do that when warm but if one pull starts are the way of the future in any weather then count me in :cheers:

My MS 391, easiest saw I have to start and runs like a top, makes the most saw dust per gallon,too.Even though I love all my saws equally, that's the one I'd go to in a hurry.

Hypothetically I would grab my 044/046 and hope I dont do more damage than what is already done. Realistically I would probably go for a come-along, high lift jack or something of that nature, because in a panic I would probably not flip the switch pull it 50 times flood it and and move on to the next saw in line and do the same LOL. Most of my saws start pretty reliably as long as I flip the switch to on;).

Stihl 041 AV.... enough saw for most anything, emergency wise, and small enough to be used in close quarters...

Besides, it's the only one I know for sure will run... the craftsman might, but with the 16" bar and no power - not an emergency saw,.....

Last edited:
I am going with the 441. Not knowing what you may be up against it is big enough to handle quite a bit and it will run a while on a tank of fuel if you have a lot to cut.:D

Are you serious about the one pull to start thing with the M-Tronics Sam? If so that's pretty cool :) My saws only do that when warm but if one pull starts are the way of the future in any weather then count me in :cheers:

LOL, well with everyone on this thread having regular non-computerized saws, that start in 1-2 pulls (which is mostly BS), I wouldn't see why that would be such a big deal, LOL.

Yeah, its a true 1-2 pulls and ready for wood.

John, has one and after its been sitting for a few days, its 1 pull and running, no choking or high revving.

Later,

Sam

It'd be either my trusty Homelite SXL-Auto or my fresh McCulloch PM700...............................depending on which one was sharpened, fueled, and closest. Both light off in a couple of pulls and are extremely healthy. If not them, then there's always 5-10 other saws ready to go (aside from maybe a quick fuel-up) at any given time. The McCulloch SP-81 or one of the six-cube monsters would get grabbed if it was a BIG tree....

LOL, well with everyone on this thread having regular non-computerized saws, that start in 1-2 pulls (which is mostly BS), I wouldn't see why that would be such a big deal, LOL.

Yeah, its a true 1-2 pulls and ready for wood.

John, has one and after its been sitting for a few days, its 1 pull and running, no choking or high revving.

Later,

Sam

Ever tried a flippy choke? With that I would grab one of my 120si'/6800s, best damned starting saws in my stable.

Ever tried a flippy choke? With that I would grab one of my 120si'/6800s, best damned starting saws in my stable.

No, never tried a flippy choke, just flippy caps and as long as they are on a modded 441 M-Tronics, I'll be fine with that selection, LOL.

Sam

No, never tried a flippy choke, just flippy caps and as long as they are on a modded 441 M-Tronics, I'll be fine with that selection, LOL.

Sam

The flippy choke spills chokes down your legs Sam. It was an idea that never caught on.

Back